7 hours ago, Private Evans said:

This engine is nothing more than a basic version right now and far away from being on par with current next gen engines. Allthough dayz is looking nice and has its moments it is looking outdated compared to other engines...no seasonal patterns...no underground structures...outdated lighting....no real outside the border lod terrain etc

If this engine is meant to be the future engine for BI games there is still alot to do and add.....

It's outdated look doesn't necessarily need to be engine related. 

Alot of the props are just very old, remember many buildings and other props are from the Arma 2 era. If you look at some DayZ weapons and gear it actually looks really good. But for the enviroment they would have to rework it all if they want a concistant level of quality. Something I don't think we will get, because its an insane task for a studio that seam  to have very few actually working on DayZ. 

Regarding Undergrounds... Most games terrain is basically a heightmap. It can only be tweeked up and down. Far easier to work with in engine then a mesh. But it makes it harder to make tunnels. You basically need to add meshes props to do that. So this engine isn't anymore limited to that then Unity or Unreal. 

Your probably right about the lighting limitations though. 

Outside the border LoD terrain? They got LoDs. Its just that the trees up close arent Battlefield quality. 

4 hours ago, OrLoK said:

I'm not expecting 1.0 to be nirvana.

just like every BI 1.0 I'm still expecting flaws.

indeed, just like any 1.0 release.

there's almost always a post 1.0 hotfix for gamestoppers even in AAA releases.

Dont forget, it took a good long while for Arma3 to mature but once it did, it rocked.

even at it's barebones launch it was far superior to A2.

S.A. already stands head and shoulders above the vanilla mod bugs included.

reinstall it and see.

manage your expectations. patience is key.

None is expecting DayZ to be that don't worry. We just want a playable game thats not too broken. 

The thing is with Arma 3. It had all the core features there. Its combat felt alot better then Arma 2. DayZ SA has overall nice good firearms combat. 

But the melee is still a mess. People can talk crap about fallout 76 as if its combat is the worst ever. But its melee is lightyears better then DayZs.  I'm actually having a hard time to think of a game that does it worse. 

That melee combat together with buggy zombies really breakes the immersion. That combined with all the bugs makes this game feel alot less finished then what Arma 3 was. And yeah Arma 3 was very rough at launch aswell. 

DayZ SA also sold alot of copies and received alot of hype. (DayZ also boosted Arma 2 sales many times over) That together with six years of development would make you think it would be more complete by now. 

9 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

Regarding Undergrounds... Most games terrain is basically a heightmap. It can only be tweeked up and down. Far easier to work with in engine then a mesh. But it makes it harder to make tunnels. You basically need to add meshes props to do that. So this engine isn't anymore limited to that then Unity or Unreal. 

this is not completely true..in unreal for example you can make holes into the landscape which then can be used as entrances connected by structures like cave walls, tunnel walls etc 

10 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

Outside the border LoD terrain? They got LoDs. Its just that the trees up close arent Battlefield quality. 

the outside terrain is a joke it is just an automated generated heightmap with one single lod texture which completely destroys any immersion when reaching the map borders ( this is why all Arma 3 terrains are islands)

the lighting especially the interior lighting simply is outdated...and there is also no info about  seasonal patterns and/or stuff like procedural snow etc

for me right now this still looks very basic ( and somehow outdated) and not like a next gen engine build for the future...well...it is running on current consoles :/ 

• Beans 1

33 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

this is not completely true..in unreal for example you can make holes into the landscape which then can be used as entrances connected by structures like cave walls, tunnel walls etc 

the outside terrain is a joke it is just an automated generated heightmap with one single lod texture which completely destroys any immersion when reaching the map borders ( this is why all Arma 3 terrains are islands)

the lighting especially the interior lighting simply is outdated...and there is also no info about  seasonal patterns and/or stuff like procedural snow etc

for me right now this still looks very basic ( and somehow outdated) and not like a next gen engine build for the future...well...it is running on current consoles :/ 

Mmmh I think that procedural snow should be possible (if they choose to code it in) but that they are just not aiming for that. I could be wrong but that's the idea I get from the devs. 

Same with the map border, I think they just don't care that much about it. I myself am not bothered by it as well but if they really wanted to do something about it, they could easily create a mountain range that blocks the side of the map. Besides, to add trees at the border and some tree billboards behind it doesn't sound that difficult for an engine to do.

But yeah the lightning.... I do hope some improvements can be made. Like the lighting effects of the sun when it comes up and goes down. It is pretty average right now. Indoor lightning is sadly something that probably will never see much improvement due to the old code.

I still think that Dayz can look gorgeous for the most part. If they can replace some old hideous textures like on some houses, furniture, car wrecks etc. then I an a happy man.

Edited by amadieus

On 12/4/2018 at 8:21 AM, Private Evans said:

this is why all Arma 3 terrains are islands

And most games out there hahh

On 12/4/2018 at 8:21 AM, Private Evans said:

Yeah I hope they improve the interior lighting and refresh the looks. But then how do you implement digging tunnels etc. that will look good, they way you wanted it to be and at the same time not get broken? Since the game looks good, not simplistic with blocks, like Minecraft.

I remember Life is feudal: Your own game had some terrain manipulation thing in the early access.

On 3.12.2018 at 1:05 PM, Private Evans said:

Yeah DayZ has been very lucky so far...BUT... there is this small very passionate team making a very promising looking Zombie Survival Game taking place in Alberta Canada running on Unreal Engine...

I wouldn't call it luck. The difference between DayZ and all the once so called 'DayZ killers' is that the devs haven't abandoned the game yet (nor the initial idea that has always stood behind it). Don't get me wrong, there definitely were a lot of promising looking games out there, but no other studio has been able to create what DayZ is. Remember The War Z? H1Z1? Now those are what I call dead games.

Let's be realistic here, the only reason why there are still so many people crying about the devs mistakes (no, I'm not denying that there have been bad decisions from their side in the past) is because the game IS still alive after all it has gone through and people are worried that they'll never get what they've always wanted. That's exactly what threads like these are about.

Edited by Syroxan

On 12/3/2018 at 7:05 AM, Private Evans said:

Yeah DayZ has been very lucky so far...BUT... there is this small very passionate team making a very promising looking Zombie Survival Game taking place in Alberta Canada running on Unreal Engine....

Links? 

34 minutes ago, BlazeMcNight said:

Links? 

just google dead matter, i think he means that one

there have been plenty survival games other than DayZ that have died fast, before i see any actual multiplayer gameplay, i will stay away

Edited by ZomboWTF