Raptor97

Server hopping - base security

Hello Survivors, Hi Devs

I hope you are all well. 

Not long ago the devs talked in a Status Report about server hopping regarding to base building security, but they actually don't know how to solve this problem. 

My only suggestion would be that there is only one character per server, like in Unturned or private servers. 

If this issue is solved the devs can focus on the balancing of base building. 

For example, a metal sheet base should be only destroyable by explosives which are rare items, hard to find. 

Base raiding should be hard (not easy like now with crowbar etc, or not impossible) but there should be a rewarding sense to build a base which is very time consuming, yes it should be time consuming of course :) 

And yes, the persistence should be for ever, the players dont want to build a base for weeks and it disappears after some time. 

Regards, Raptor

Edited by Raptor97

Yes bases disappearing is bullshit - no need for that crap if you just put in a good base raiding model . I would say model the base raiding after Dayz aftermath .

Dayz Aftermath was a great dayz mod back in the day that approached base raiding pretty fairly . You would need multiple sledgehammer , toolbox , and I think some other tools to get through a gate or a wall - no explosives were implemented before the shut down of the mod but it made for much better raiding because you couldn’t just blow their walls .

You would need legit 5 sledgehammers and other tools depending on the level of the gates / walls , because during the break in the tools would easily snap , sometimes taking up to an hour or more to break through all the walls of the base . This ensured that people weren’t quickly wiping out all the bases on the map with farmed explosives , and also it meant you had to be at the enemies base for longer periods of time .

I wish the devs for that mod would resurface , they were some crazy aussies with great ideas but when standalone came out they were intimidated and stopped the project . It’s a Damn Shame too because besides the bugginess of the RV engine , Dayz Aftermath had everything going for it:

curable diseases , craftable cures for the zombie plague , new buildings , whole new additions to the map akin to what Chernarus plus looks like now , and a passion for a vanilla experience that really stressed the original dayz experience and just made it better with awesome things like a military base with electric powered gates that was a conquerable base in Balota . 

Edited by PandahFistophacleezeSykes

• Protecting your base :
    • You can protect your base if your walls have metal sheets or barbwire by using electricity. So it's like a anti raid system but you need to make sure your generator is not out of juice.
    • However ! Metalsheet is weaker than planks, you need to be sure your generator is not empty if you want to be sure no one is going to raid your base for X hours/minutes.
    • Wood take more time than metalsheet to be destroyed however this can't be powered by a generator. Ho and it's bullet proof, unlike metalsheet. 
  • Raiding a base :
    • If electrifyed
      • Each tools (and gloves) are going to be damaged twice faster than normal
      • Need worker gloves and only them !
      • Need (the tool to place barbwire, I forgot the name)
      • Need a sledgehammer
      • Need a axe or hatchet or a saw or a knife (each can deal x dmg before the tool is ruined)
    • If not electrifyed
      • Need (the tool to place barbwire, I forgot the name)
      • Need a sledgehammer
      • Need a axe or hatchet or a saw or a knife (each can deal x dmg before the tool is ruined)
      • Zombies can deal some damages but they need to in a large number to be effective
    • Don't care
      • Grenades
      • Rockets
      • Mines (yes someone need to walk on it for now)
      • Cars (but you are going to wreck your car by doing that)

Things to know :

• Metal Plate are easier to work with and to find.
  • Players can build a tower or a wall to get over your own wall. So it's up to you to make sure nobody can build around.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PandahFistophacleezeSykes said:

Dayz Aftermath had everything going for it

Say, why don't you play DayZ Aftermath ? - it has everything going for it.

these topics should be merged

Edited by pilgrim*
~

The server hopping into bases problem is a tough one.   If that's possible it's going to be very disheartening to have all of your work potentially circumvented by 5 clicks of the mouse.  It'll probably prevent many players from investing their time and energy into attempting it.   

The only thing I can think of is that each fully enclosed/completed/locked base must log it's coordinates and perimeter per server.  Then nobody can log in or out within that perimeter on that server.  Trying to do so bumps the player back to the server browser with a notice:  cannot log into this location at this server, or something like that.   

There should also be levels of fortification. A few pieces of tin can be knocked down by driving your v3s into it, but not so with hesco bastion.   Maybe a landmine is required to remove a hesco, or hours with a shovel, that gets ruined and needs replacement, etc etc etc.  If someone has the time and motivation to build a fully fortified base, with layers upon layers of barricades it should still be possible but extremely difficult to get into it.  And if another player has the time and motivation to get into that base he should eventually be able to do so.

But imo base building can go either way, if it's not properly balanced then it's just a novelty.   But even as a novelty it will lead to different end-game options.  Presently, after getting fully kitted and thinking "now what?"we'll end up running to the airfield or running uncharacteristically recklessly around Tisy out of boredom before respawning and doing it all over again.

Base building could end up being just another 'end-game' thing to do - or it could end up something that adds value to your character.  Something to design, something to loot for materials, something to build and something to protect.  Another possibility is that cooperation and coordination between players can lead to better fortification and better breaching of those fortifications.  I think it's going to be a difficult task to balance that all out properly.

• Like 2