Sign in to follow this  
Solopopo

Night Is Great!

I've seen a lot of people complaining about night, but I think they really nailed night with the beta build. Gamma exploiting to see in the dark is stupid. I am happy they actually addressed this issue, and they aren't getting enough credit for it in my opinion. The player spawns with a road flare, which is perfectly adequate to gear up if you actually commit to using it. If they could fix the head torch I think night would be perfect. They increased the vanilla day/night cycle speed significantly, which I think was a smart move. It's actually possible to play through the night. Try surviving the night if you haven't! It's actually fun and it can even be terrifying at times. 

This reminds me of another important but subtle change they made last year. Foliage doesn't disappear on low object settings anymore, and many smaller graphical advantages of low settings were eliminated too, meaning everyone is subjected to the same visibility. Little things like this are important for DayZ. I'm impressed by both these changes to the game. They are things I was hoping for from the early onset of alpha. I really never thought they would actually address graphical exploitation to this extent. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Haha 2
  • Beans 3

My only issue is we cant hold small objects in our left hand, forcing us to drop our hand held light sources if you need to defend ourselves. If that weren't the case, night wouldn't be an issue for me or most folk I believe.

• Beans 4

15 minutes ago, Conrad_The_Comrade said:

My only issue is we cant hold small objects in our left hand, forcing us to drop our hand held light sources if you need to defend ourselves. If that weren't the case, night wouldn't be an issue for me or most folk I believe.

We probably gonna get the headtorch back and they mentioned about NV goggles. Also there are flashlights for weapons etc.

Just hoooooooooold.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

I love it alot, it's really immersive. But it needs more lightsources, freshspawn maybe with a flashlight and a ? till everything is balanced and all lightsources are in. Yesterday we started playing and it was evening. We started to craft rags in panic because of the incoming night. Now lightsources are really important and I like it. But one time I found the gaslamp and didn't recognize that it doesn't work. After it gets dark I couldn't play because of the rain I was unable to light my crafted torch. I found a room and my character dried quickly, but my equipment didn't so I can't do anything. This is something they should recognize. It's just not fun at all if you have to wait the whole night without a chance to get a light source.

Edit: ok I tried it and everything gets dry after a short period of time. I was able to light my torch again and ran from door to door so my torch won't get to wet. Worked really fine! And if the light of they day comes back it's sooooo rewarding... just great! I wish I find a battery to switch my flashlight on ^^

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka
  • Beans 1

On 11/12/2018 at 10:19 PM, benedictus said:

We probably gonna get the headtorch back and they mentioned about NV goggles. Also there are flashlights for weapons etc.

Just hoooooooooold.

Even with headtorches and NV, it still doesn't change the fact that hand held light sources are extremely tedious to use effectively. They work on their own, but you lose almost all self defense capability. Just let me hold my flare in my offhand and my hatchet in the other and bingo I'm a happy camper.

Sorry, not a fan here. I only get to play at night after the kids have gone to bed and tonight every server is night time as well. Can't see a darn thing. Used my flare but was afraid to leave the building I was in as I wasn't sure how long it would last (fairly long, it turns out) before all went dark again. I don't have an axe or hatchet, can't make a torch. Things are so dark it's just not worth playing. I mean, in real life I can go out at night and see enough to get around but in DayZ I simply can't navigate at all. Night time with moonlight would be OK and I'm up for a challenge, but this just isn't fun for me at all. Not playing if I can't see anything at all.  

In my region (EU) the public servers are mostly deserted at in-game nighttime. Which is primetime for gaming irl imho. First, one should have the choice in servers with different ingame times. Secondly, I don't mind the challenge, but as none of the public servers have accelerated time, one is stuck in the night for a whole gaming session. Which is simply too long and boring.

This needs to change. Think of the new players joining. DayZ does not profit from a new joining players scared off by poor server settings.

Loving the updates though, finally getting there!

Light sources and batteries need to be more common loot , the moon needs to light up the night if it’s cloudless , and the devs need to eventually add a dual weilding system in which different items could be held by the hands at one time (E.g. flashlight and a pistol). Also , Whatever happened to the devs idea of your eyes acclimating to the darkness and attaining “‘natural night vision” after staying in the darkness for a while ? 

Night in dayz sa right now is too grainy , too unrealistic , and gets in the way of actual gameplay especially if you are unlucky enough to have a work schedule that forces you to play on dark servers due to never being able to play in the daytime (irl daytime seems to somehow match with In game day time ?).

Fix it in the specific ways I listed in my first paragraph and you will have an amazing night system , all thanks to muah . 

Edited by PandahFistophacleezeSykes