Sign in to follow this  
themightylc

I think it might be a grave mistake, calling this "Beta"

Disclaimer: I love DayZ, I believe in this game and I have watched the development very closely and given my background as a professional developer I think I have a better-than-average understanding of it. 

I was playing for two hours yesterday and I had a lot of fun. However...

I don't think the current 0.63 stable release should have been advertised as "the beta release."

After 10 Minutes of normal playtime I lost my hatchet unreachable inside a tree's hitbox and died a little later after logging out because my character was hovering mid-air on a ladder (the actual cause of this I think was a M3 hood spawning next to  the ladder exit and not giving my character enough space to be placed down).

I fully understand this is fixable - maybe easily so. I know this isn't the finished product 1.0 (whatever the heck that will be but that's another topic) and I should report this on the Feedback tracker.

But look at this from the perspective of a normal player, who hasn't touched the game in two years and is jumping in now because there are new Videos and Screenshots and the Label "BETA" in the Steam Shop - suggesting that the game is 99.9% complete. After all in the current gaming industry environment "Beta" has become something of a synonym for "playable demo". What will this person think? Especially - and i the biggest issue I see right now - if there is no disclaimer at the start of the game anymore, that this is work in progress and things can still change.

"The game is just as broken as before with less content (=weapons) than ever. Those videos, screenshots, professionally shot annoucements from Eugen and the others... This looks more like a scam than a step forward in development"

This is not my opinion. It's what I fear a lot of people outside the hardcore fanbase will think - but even there, some opinions are not on the positive side: http://oldschooldayz.net/index.php/topic,1793.msg10684.html#msg10684

This might unintentionally be the final straw, that breaks DayZs back in the eyes of the public.

Well I just wanna see it released. Before it's just been excuses after excuses. Its "ALPHUR!! OFC ITS BUGGY! " "We are rebuilding the engine and it will sure fix stuff!" 

Well now its getting released in a little more then a month. They can't excuse stuff now. Its ment to be a full game then. They have had 6 years to do it. 

I really hope they preform a miracle, alot is at stake. They will actually get reviewed and spotlight aimed at them. 

If it will be a buggy mess, DayZ will be a laughing stock even worse then it has been. 

Happy crunching DayZ devs!

Of course it was a grave mistake rushing their product to “Beta” after they were patiently working on it for almost 5 years now (not 6, Evilsausage , don’t know where your math comes from).

Why would they do this ? Well why has anything gone wrong in the dayz development ? Because they want to please the console peasants that are constantly asking them “where’s dayz on Xbox when is that coming what’s it gonna be like when do we get that” .

Theyve made so many mistakes up until this one but this is by far the worst they could have made . Unless they really get into gear and make this crunch time useful and actually push out all the old content they removed plus new content AND tons of fixes and polish before 2019 I believe the games popularity will take a huge hit and be labeled just another early access scam .

its unfortunate too , because these devs were doing so well being transparent and communicating their goals ; now we have no idea why they do things or when it will return to normal , now they just expect us to shut up and take it , having mods let good comments rot in censorship hell , ban , censor and destroy any opinions that are negative towards the holy “beta milestone” that we have apparently reached (I guess the very smallest bit of basebuilding is enough for these guys to label it beta FFS). 

SMFH , I’ve never distrusted the development of this game so much as I do now ; all the good devs are silent until the regurgitated status reports or removed from the project “willingly” (lol), and now we can’t help but hate the new ones that seem to be just utterly destroying this game .