Ghosting

Have you done it?

Has it happened to you?

How can we stop it?

25 minutes ago, Ryan JG said:

Have you done it?

Has it happened to you?

How can we stop it?

You cant until private servers are up and even then until they allow you to see screennames youll never know who ghosted you. Ran into plenty of people who ghost because a doors locked and they cant be bothered to pick the lock. Or if they are a squad and you have them funneled in a wayway to level the playing field theyll ghost in behind you as the others rush in the door. Just got to be careful. Only good thing atm which counters the ghosting is the lag spike you get whenit happens so its pretty much a warning someone logged in near you

Edited by Chris Burton
  • Like 1

Nope never done it,  don't see the point in playing a game to then not play the game the way it was intended to be played.

Never had it done to me that I'm aware of, I always reposition frequently if in a firefight and if I see someone's gone into a building I push straight away, pull back far and keep line of sight or disengage all together.

As far as I can tell there's no stopping it, best to minimise it happening to you by pushing people hard, or changing position and over watching any position you feel the enemy knew you were holding previously or giving up on the fight and retreating far.

Edited by TheYetiBum
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

I'm all about surviving. If I wanted gun fights I'll play something else. Doesn't mean I won't murk dat ass in a heartbeat tho. So, no.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheYetiBum said:

As far as I can tell there's no stopping it, best to minimise it happening to you by pushing people hard, or changing position and over watching any position you feel the enemy knew you were holding previously or giving up on the fight and retreating far.

Right Yeti - Use it in your favor as you are (very probably) smarter than the players doing it.

North of Electro the hill overlooking the Fire Station/Factory used to be call "sniper hill" because they had a perfect overview of the fire station tower windows from there, and players looking for gear always went up the tower.

If you came through the woods down from further back up the hill, at the border of the trees you could find a prone sniper glued to his scope, waiting for the next player to show at a window, and you could just hit him in the head with anything seriously heavy and take all his gear. It was really less difficult than killing a chicken. -  Even if they (sometimes) heard you coming or 3pp'd - it was too late, he had a scoped rifle and you were standing next to him with an axe ..

Whatever the rules are ATM, players will always find ways to take maximum advantage of them (that's the game, right?)  - you just have to find ways of making it a LOT LESS of an advantage than they expected.
(heh)

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 3
  • Beans 1

I literally logged in to a server with just me. Seeing that I was the only soul in that server for 20mins I let my guard down went to solinchy we’re the one barracks is. Went in looted some ammo, started to reload my mags kid spawns I’n behind me and instantly kills me. Talk about mad.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ghosting is a very childish tactic, but unfortunately one that the game mechanics allow to happen. I've never taken part in it, nor would I. Currently, like many others have said, there is no way to stop it... If the developers decide to implement a "cool down" period between logs, that will hinder it, but that will also affect players who do not ghost and maybe were disconnected or logged off to complete a quick chore, so it's very much a double edged sword there. I can only stress to keep patient as I believe the ghosting population is relatively small and will only continue to shrink over time as "kids" go back to COD.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Molecular Drift 1.0 said:

Ghosting is a very childish tactic, but unfortunately one that the game mechanics allow to happen. I've never taken part in it, nor would I. Currently, like many others have said, there is no way to stop it... If the developers decide to implement a "cool down" period between logs, that will hinder it, but that will also affect players who do not ghost and maybe were disconnected or logged off to complete a quick chore, so it's very much a double edged sword there. I can only stress to keep patient as I believe the ghosting population is relatively small and will only continue to shrink over time as "kids" go back to COD.

(1)

We PC players HAVE a timer between logs. When you log OUT you get a 15 second timer - you just stand in the game, can't move but can still see the action,  with a countdown window midscreen - This timer window has two buttons, YES and N0.. if you press Yes you go back to the front Game Screen immediately  BUT you LEAVE your avatar standing on the server until the timer runs out. While you are ingame with the logout timer window counting down, If you press NO you can move again, the countdown window vanishes, and you're back in the game.

In my opinion, 15 seconds , is not enough - it should be at least 30. (think of all the situations where this would make BETTER and MORE INTERESTING & EXCITING play). Life would definitely be more dangerous. More Fear and Stress is GOOD for ya !!

(2)

ALSO on PC if you log into a game and out again too QUICKLY, and immediately try to  log in again anywhere you get a 60 or 90 second waiting countdown, before you are logged into the next (or same) server. SO - (I think this is how it works) - you have to play for a minimum time on one server before you can leave it and log in somewhere else with no penalty.  (Check with the experts for the timing details, I don't hardly eve do that). So that knocks Ghosting on the head, for sure.. On PC, if you change servers fast; at the second login (back to your original server if you're ghosting) you get stuck with a 90 second penalty..

Any PC players want to tell me if I've got any of these facts wrong, please ??  I'm not 100% sure about the log-IN timer - what the delay lengths are, and how they are triggered.  (thanx)

But that's pretty much how it works on PC.   It messes with combat loggers and makes it bigger risk (but it should be MORE), and it more or less stops ghosting (because it just ain't worth it, by the time you get back the fight's over).

Also it slows down (a BIT) and discourages hoppers.. that's ONE Main reason I want a LONGER logout time.. but also a longer logout makes combat much more dangerous - the player has to THINK before he takes a risk, so stupid risks always HAVE consequences. there is NO eject button.

I guess Xbox will be getting this stuff as soon as BI sort it.           Ask   Baty Alquawen   =  She Knows Everything

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

(1)

We PC players HAVE a timer between logs. When you log OUT you get a 15 second timer - you just stand in the game, can't move but can still see the action,  with a countdown window midscreen - This timer window has two buttons, YES and N0.. if you press Yes you go back to the front Game Screen immediately  BUT you LEAVE your avatar standing on the server until the timer runs out. While you are ingame with the logout timer window counting down, If you press NO you can move again, the countdown window vanishes, and you're back in the game.

In my opinion, 15 seconds , is not enough - it should be at least 30. (think of all the situations where this would make BETTER and MORE INTERESTING & EXCITING play). Life would definitely be more dangerous. More Fear and Stress is GOOD for ya !!

(2)

ALSO on PC if you log into a game and out again too QUICKLY, and immediately try to  log in again anywhere you get a 60 or 90 second waiting countdown, before you are logged into the next (or same) server. SO - (I think this is how it works) - you have to play for a minimum time on one server before you can leave it and log in somewhere else with no penalty.  (Check with the experts for the timing details, I don't hardly eve do that). So that knocks Ghosting on the head, for sure.. On PC, if you change servers fast; at the second login (back to your original server if you're ghosting) you get stuck with a 90 second penalty..

Any PC players want to tell me if I've got any of these facts wrong, please ??  I'm not 100% sure about the log-IN timer - what the delay lengths are, and how they are triggered.  (thanx)

But that's pretty much how it works on PC.   It messes with combat loggers and makes it bigger risk (but it should be MORE), and it more or less stops ghosting (because it just ain't worth it, by the time you get back the fight's over).

Also it slows down (a BIT) and discourages hoppers.. that's ONE Main reason I want a LONGER logout time.. but also a longer logout makes combat much more dangerous - the player has to THINK before he takes a risk, so stupid risks always HAVE consequences. there is NO eject button.

I guess Xbox will be getting this stuff as soon as BI sort it.           Ask   Baty Alquawen   =  She Knows Everything

xxP

I love the fact that the PC version has that in place and I absolutely agree with you on having an even longer timer if / when this is implemented on Xbox! I know the database was trapping characters who switched servers too quickly in the beginning, but that has softened considerably (probably due to the instability of the servers at the start) and just from experimenting, I know players can currently server hop quickly approximately three times in succession before getting a 5 minute or more lockout. I'm sure the penalties will get hashed out as the developers work their magic and I certainly look forward to future updates! As a newer player, I appreciate the information you've provided and I always enjoy your insightful posts. Cheers! :)

• Beans 1

8 minutes ago, Molecular Drift 1.0 said:

I love the fact that the PC version has that in place and I absolutely agree with you on having an even longer timer if / when this is implemented on Xbox! I know the database was trapping characters who switched servers too quickly in the beginning, but that has softened considerably (probably due to the instability of the servers at the start) and just from experimenting, I know players can currently server hop quickly approximately three times in succession before getting a 5 minute or more lockout. I'm sure the penalties will get hashed out as the developers work their magic and I certainly look forward to future updates! As a newer player, I appreciate the information you've provided and I always enjoy your insightful posts. Cheers! :)

I think the server trap bug  is "Probably" why BI have held off on the log-out and log-in timers for the moment.. They need to have that server problem sorted completely 100%,  before they start messing with delays (that's my GUESS). But Xbox is intended to follow PC exactly - when they are brought into phase (which is ongoing)  - so whatever turns up on PC will arrive on Xbox too.    ..er  INELUCTABLY

• Like 1

Never have done it. Had it done to my squad once at NWAF, that was the last time it has happened. We always have someone( the one without sniper/optics) on ghost duty. Kinda sux he gets to miss on the open field pvp but our sentry always gets one or two ghosters trying. 

If your not camping a certain spot/building you really have to shoot to kill, and relocate as soon as you take your kill shot.

• Like 1

I asked because my squad got ghosted in a building and it really took away from the experience.

I hope Xbox players can purchase servers at some point.

• Like 1