OrLoK

A new "Virus" is in game spreading to the forums

No more memes pfft ban me now . Memes are a part of every forum community, to ban them would be a first. If you don't like the community, don't be a part of it.

Now if the majority of a community are engaged in those kinds of activities, and there is a small minority who don't like it, then who is "out of place" ? - the minority or the majority ? (regardless of being a moderator or not). The community is what it is, trying to force a change on the larger part of it will only result in that larger part basically going "away" and there goes your community, all that will be left is a few who post in agreement with each other with a total lack of humour.

Nothing wrong with memes, they are a quick way to say something without typing out a half page, I think if people have trouble comprehending the meme, then they probably don't have much chance of understanding the text.

In many ways this shows the level of detachment from the actual community, if you want a homogenised, pre-teen friendly, non confrontational, meme free forum, then perhaps the sailor moon forums are a better place for your moderation.

I always have and always will use memes where I feel they are appropriate, so yeah, if that's a "problem" for you then ban me.

The internet can be summed up funnily enough with a meme.

215499488_8pSZr-L-2-e1315876580359.jpg

Is only Game' date=' Why you Heff to be Mad?

[/quote']

Hello

I'm an old OFP' date=' VBS, Arma player and have been following the rise of DAYZ for quite some time.

It seems that there are far more instances of Megalodayzamania appearing in game and especially on these forums.

All the suffers of this:

1/ seem to insist that folk who don't play the game *their* way are idiots/morons/retards.

2/ Copy popular internet "memes" to reply to posts rather than coming up with any cogent argument or discourse.

3/Insist on pidgeon holing people into subgroups such as "Carebears" or "Bandits"

4/Focus on non relevant issues in threads rather than on the whole concept/topic.

5/Finally as with standard Megalomania have a super inflated opinion of them selves.

Thoughts?

Rgds

LoK

[/quote']

Congratulations on the most pretentious post of the year.

I wonder if anybody knows the collective noun for a group of trolls?

A herd? A Horde? A Flock? A Gaggle? A mob? A forum?

Personally I quite like the idea of a "flock of Trolls". Kinda like sheep and people's behaviour in groups.

Incidentally, I figure that this makes me equally guilty of OP's point 3.

But I don't mind admitting that.

Larkinto' pid='257121' dateline='1341540153']

Congratulations on the most pretentious post of the year.

Why, thank you.

rgds

LoK

[...]

Your opinion doesn't change what I've been instructed to do as a forum moderator. If you want to equate civility and maturity on a message board with suppression/oppression of your opinion than that's your prerogative.

So memes are banned now? Could you sticky that so it's clear for all?

This isn't reddit or 4chan. If you can't make your point without resorting to meme's you shouldn't be commenting on the subject in the first place.

That's no excuse for lowering ourselves to petty bickering and encouraging general douchebaggery.

Orlok' date=' unfortunately you have to post at your own risk around here. We have a lot of misanthropes and entitled brats with superiority complexes. We try to weed out the worst types but the general attitude around here is very much in line with typical online gaming communities. (A fact I am not proud of, personally.)

[/quote']

So please remember to admonish/ban rocket next time he uses memes. Is there a forum rule about memes, or are you just removing them and lecturing because they offend your personal taste?

I wasn't worried about this community until now; how horrifying seeing the outpouring of smug self-importance in this thread receiving official endorsement. Quite depressing, actually.

Astonishing how some people fundamentally misunderstand the very idea of the internet. Enforce civility by all means, but how dare anyone dictate to others how they communicate, what they should or should not say, and worse still insult and chastise them if they disagree with their pov. I am, quite literally, appalled.

So please remember to admonish/ban rocket next time he uses memes. Is there a forum rule about memes' date=' or are you just removing them and lecturing because they offend your personal taste?

I wasn't worried about this community until now; how horrifying seeing the outpouring of smug self-importance in this thread receiving official endorsement. Quite depressing, actually.

Astonishing how some people fundamentally misunderstand the very idea of the internet. Enforce civility by all means, but how dare anyone dictate to others [i']how they communicate, what they should or should not say, and worse still insult and chastise them if they disagree with their pov. I am, quite literally, appalled.

Memes are short cuts to actual discussion and are easy to use against people for trolling purposes. While I don't particularly care for them myself, I only remove them when they are being abusive or not furthering discussion, which they almost never are. Why? Because their very nature requires them to be cut and pasted into arguments that absolve the poster from any thinking or rationalization.

So, yes. I dislike their use, even by the devs. But pretending to be morally outraged because you think your freedom of expression is being oppressed, on a forum no less, is laughable. Remember, I don't care about your general meme usage, I care about how it's being used.

Pretend to be as "literally appalled" all you want. Spam, abuse, and general dickery won't be tolerated. I make no apologies for that because I don't answer to you.

You don't answer to me so you can arbitrarily censor my posts? Might is right? Wow this is depressing. I used memes to ridicule the Op's archaic, self-righteous views in a more eloquent way than words could ever manage, and you waded in and let your personal judgement decide how to wield your authority as a mod. When I trolled a banned hacker with memes a while back that was ok though because you happened to agree with my opinion?

In this thread, you then decide to take sides in the argument and label vast swathes of the community self-entitled brats. And when I protest you effectively tell me to get lost because you're in charge. Furthermore, you mock me for expecting freedom of expression in a forum. Do you even know what a forum is supposed to be, or is this just a personal fiefdom to you? Maybe we need a clearer code of conduct for everyone, mods included.

No more memes pfft ban me now . Memes are a part of every forum community' date='[/quote']

so what? is that even an argument?

to ban them would be a first. If you don't like the community' date=' don't be a part of it. [/quote']

can't follow the rules of community - don't be part of it.

Now if the majority of a community are engaged in those kinds of activities' date=' and there is a small minority who don't like it, then who is "out of place" ? - the minority or the majority ? (regardless of being a moderator or not). The community is what it is, trying to force a change on the larger part of it will only result in that larger part basically going "away" and there goes your community, all that will be left is a few who post in agreement with each other with a total lack of humour. [/quote']

large part of internet communities are immature hormon bashing children who have more time to be on internet, so by your logic if community is generaly retarded, immature and can't be any civil thats okay?

Nothing wrong with memes' date=' they are a quick way to say something without typing out a half page, I think if people have trouble comprehending the meme, then they probably don't have much chance of understanding the text.[/quote']

this is not 4chan. this is forum. current thread is made for discussion. if you can't discuss - don't bother posting.

In many ways this shows the level of detachment from the actual community' date=' if you want a homogenised, pre-teen friendly, non confrontational, meme free forum, then perhaps the sailor moon forums are a better place for your moderation. [/quote']

sorry but there are a bit older people here who already got thru pubescence, so may be you should brace yourself a bit?

Ah, wait,i know! rebelous teens and youthful maximalism strikes again! what a fucking pity.

I always have and always will use memes where I feel they are appropriate' date=' so yeah, if that's a "problem" for you then ban me.[/quote']

here it goes again! show how rebelous you are! may be it will increase your self esteem a bit!

and here another patient.

So please remember to admonish/ban rocket next time he uses memes. Is there a forum rule about memes' date=' or are you just removing them and lecturing because they offend your personal taste?

Astonishing how some people fundamentally misunderstand the very idea of the internet. Enforce civility by all means, but how dare anyone dictate to others [i']how they communicate, what they should or should not say, and worse still insult and chastise them if they disagree with their pov. I am, quite literally, appalled.

Another fighter for "freedom of speech". Hilarious as fuck. May be people around owe you something?

You don't answer to me so you can arbitrarily censor my posts? Might is right? Wow this is depressing. I used memes to ridicule the Op's archaic' date=' self-righteous views in a more eloquent way than words could ever manage, and you waded in and let your personal judgement decide how to wield your authority as a mod. When I trolled a banned hacker with memes a while back that was ok though because you happened to agree with my opinion?

In this thread, you then decide to take sides in the argument and label vast swathes of the community self-entitled brats. And when I [b']protest you effectively tell me to get lost because you're in charge. Furthermore, you mock me for expecting freedom of expression in a forum. Do you even know what a forum is supposed to be, or is this just a personal fiefdom to you? Maybe we need a clearer code of conduct for everyone, mods included.

all i see is two 14 y/o teens who feel rebelous. PROTEST! RIOT! lol

grow up seriously.

op was quite subjective and if you can't accept points that apply to you thats your own problem. But hey! you should PROTEST! viva la revolution? Aahahahahahahaha

try to spend less time on internet.

You don't answer to me so you can arbitrarily censor my posts? Might is right? Wow this is depressing. I used memes to ridicule the Op's archaic' date=' self-righteous views in a more eloquent way than words could ever manage, and you waded in and let your personal judgement decide how to wield your authority as a mod. When I trolled a banned hacker with memes a while back that was ok though because you happened to agree with my opinion?

In this thread, you then decide to take sides in the argument and label vast swathes of the community self-entitled brats. And when I protest you effectively tell me to get lost because you're in charge. Furthermore, you mock me for expecting freedom of expression in a forum. Do you even know what a forum is supposed to be, or is this just a personal fiefdom to you? Maybe we need a clearer code of conduct for everyone, mods included.

[/quote']

I was being carefully clear in my last post, I can't help it if you chose not to read it or decided to divine another meaning from it entirely. But it's there for posterity so you and others can sort out it's implication (real or imagined) on your own time. I said my piece on the matter, I see no reason to reiterate my points to someone who is interested more in an argument than coming to an understanding or resolution. If, however, you are more interested than having a public audience to complain to, and really do want clarification on what I said, send a PM. We'll hash it out, together.

I will close out on one final thing you said but this applies to everybody, not just you Mandrake. So don't see this as me "sticking it to you" on my way out the door:

I used memes to ridicule the Op's archaic, self-righteous views in a more eloquent way than words could ever manage

No one is entitled to troll anyone. I don't know where this got so much forum-wide acceptance but we simply do not condone this behavior. Also, I stand by words being infinitely better at conveying views than a simple image can and I've taken great care that my conversation with you has been clear, concise, but also in line with what I've been tasked to perform, forum popularity be damned.

All the stands in the way of expressing yourself beyond memes, I believe, is simple laziness. And laziness to be properly heard and understood has cost no small amount of grief and angst on this forum.

All I can say is that the general internet culture makes it's way down to anything that gains popularity.

It's somehow a fad to be a "troll" but 90% of people do not know what a troll is and somehow think unintelligent umadbro? trollface.jpg is smart or witty somehow. Making them an intellectual superior which I do not get.

Expect to see a response to this like cool story bro ect meme garbage.

"archaic, self-righteous views"

crikey!

Because of bit of light hearted banter/observational whimsy? I think one ought to relax a little.

Rgds

LoK

The internet gave people (sad loners who live at their keyboard) a platform to share their pathetic opinions to anyone that will care to read. If you think its bad now, lets wait and see what its like in a few years.

Well orlok, Ubiquitous, I guess I must join you on the "archaic, self righteous, and pretentious" bench. I don't belong to any other forum communities-be they game or otherwise, but I am constantly shocked at the way people treat the ideas and observations of others.

The knee-jerk, single word reactions to some people's posts, usually disparaging name calling, is disturbing to me on so many levels. My son belongs to various gaming forums and apparently responding by memes or insults is the prevailing behavior. I've made it a mission of mine to teach him to think...think before you type. If you have nothing constructive to add or cannot devolop a logical counter-argument without resorting to insults and rudeness, then keep your fingers away from the keyboard.

How sad is it that the notion of thinking before you speak/type, responding with your words instead of silly pictures, or having an expansive vocabulary is considered archaic or pretentious?

That being said, there's a lot of interesting and intelligent people on this forum if you are willing to wade through through the muck. And,of course, if you are willing to accept that pretty much every thread will devolve very quickly into pointless rudeness.

Suggestions and comments about aspects of the mod, particularly those posts into which someone has obviously put a lot thought, deserve to be respected. Whether or not you agree with them. The three words most used as a cogent argument(grrr) I must use now... "It's an alpha". The very nature of this mod and it's being in a state of development blows the doors wide open to such an amazing array of diverse thoughts and ideas. Hell, I'd imagine a rather extensive psychology or sociology research paper could be done on how player behaviors, social interactions, decision-making occur in-game.

Wow. My apologies. This went rather long. But orlok just hit on a particular pet peeve of mine and I simply couldn't help myself!

Hello

I'm an old OFP' date=' VBS, Arma player and have been following the rise of DAYZ for quite some time.

It seems that there are far more instances of Megalodayzamania appearing in game and especially on these forums.

All the suffers of this:

1/ seem to insist that folk who don't play the game *their* way are idiots/morons/retards.

2/ Copy popular internet "memes" to reply to posts rather than coming up with any cogent argument or discourse.

3/Insist on pidgeon holing people into subgroups such as "Carebears" or "Bandits"

4/Focus on non relevant issues in threads rather than on the whole concept/topic.

5/Finally as with standard Megalomania have a super inflated opinion of them selves.

Thoughts?

Rgds

LoK

[/quote']

You fit into every point except second one. Thoughts?

"seem to insist that folk who don't play the game *their* way are idiots/morons/retards."

Thats why i kill everyone i meet in game. Reading these forums is great fuel.

"Copy popular internet "memes" to reply to posts rather than coming up with any cogent argument or discourse."

Lol you mad bro? I'm firing mah lazer while ceiling cat watches you masterbate. This will never go away because it's funny.

"Insist on pidgeon holing people into subgroups such as "Carebears" or "Bandits""

Prejudice really is a thing. Sticks and stones will break your bones. Why even care about this?

"Focus on non relevant issues in threads rather than on the whole concept/topic."

This is the only thing i agree with you on. Moderators either are too lenient or there are not enough of them. This community will represent the game just as much, if not more than, rocket or any PR presence can and yet trolls are rampant. You can definitely tell there are more children posting here than adults.

I belong to a very well organized forum and coming here usually ends up with me hitting the back button until i'm back within the realm of coherency.

"Finally as with standard Megalomania have a super inflated opinion of them selves."

yeah, i'm pretty great.

Can you stop feeding the trolls now? They have an enormous appetite.