bent.toe

Is this fun?

Started fresh with a character.

Started jogging north right away, 11 minutes later i came to a small village. Looted the 4-5 houses inside and since there are only one thing in each house (weird) i gathered 1 battery, 1 axe, 1 tracksuit and a boonie hat.

No food or water... (???!)

Continued to jogg (no running at all) north and 12 minutes later i was dead of starvation/thirst...

What????

You either go all in on the realism..and i mean all in with peeing, sleeping and taking dumps aswell showering etc. etc. or you start making some changes asap.

Playing this with a friend or two are the worst hassle ever...ever in a video game.

An in-game map is needed yesterday, the ability to see where your friends are as dots on the map is essential.

Either remove stamina all together (since all you can do on this gigantic map is jog/run) or add vehicles like tomorrow.

Hunger/thirst should not even be a thing the first 24 hours...period. Or if it's such a big thing every 15 minutes, replace all those #%\$, tracksuits with food and drinks, and allow the player to start with one canteen full of water and food to get him going for the first 3-4 hours of actual gameplay.

This is not a survival simulator, this is an eat and drink simulator.

That's pretty much how my first death went. Second one is looking to be the same. I crowbar'd this one dude cuz he had a bottle in his hand. It was empty.

33 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

Started fresh with a character.

Started jogging north right away, 11 minutes later i came to a small village. Looted the 4-5 houses inside and since there are only one thing in each house (weird) i gathered 1 battery, 1 axe, 1 tracksuit and a boonie hat.

No food or water... (???!)

Continued to jogg (no running at all) north and 12 minutes later i was dead of starvation/thirst...

What????

You either go all in on the realism..and i mean all in with peeing, sleeping and taking dumps aswell showering etc. etc. or you start making some changes asap.

Playing this with a friend or two are the worst hassle ever...ever in a video game.

An in-game map is needed yesterday, the ability to see where your friends are as dots on the map is essential.

Either remove stamina all together (since all you can do on this gigantic map is jog/run) or add vehicles like tomorrow.

Hunger/thirst should not even be a thing the first 24 hours...period. Or if it's such a big thing every 15 minutes, replace all those #%\$, tracksuits with food and drinks, and allow the player to start with one canteen full of water and food to get him going for the first 3-4 hours of actual gameplay.

This is not a survival simulator, this is an eat and drink simulator.

The dehydration and starvation rates are questionable i guess..

However the way i look at it is.. the Devs don't want you to just run straight to NWAF or Tisy get fully geared in 10-15 minutes.. i mean how boring would that be.. I personally like the struggle to survive sometimes.. If you really want to get off the coast the fastest way possible i would recommend either learning where the wells are or checking a map..

Hope the tip there helps :)

AJ

• Like 1

Maybe they should have servers for us that like to explore this beautiful world instead of looking for water and food.

The surroundings and environment are awesome. The itch to explore is there but it's let down by stupid "realistic" decisions that have a huge impact on what's fin in a video game.

I could play this game all day if it wasen't for eating/drinking and stamina like a chain smoker.

Too bad this is what the developers call a harsh and dangerous world.

1 minute ago, II AJEARLEY II said:

The dehydration and starvation rates are questionable i guess..

However the way i look at it is.. the Devs don't want you to just run straight to NWAF or Tisy get fully geared in 10-15 minutes.. i mean how boring would that be.. I personally like the struggle to survive sometimes.. If you really want to get off the coast the fastest way possible i would recommend either learning where the wells are or checking a map..

Hope the tip there helps :)

AJ

I got the Dayz map downloaded on my phone....it helps absolutly ZERO sinceni can't get a bearing...i tried looking at the map signs...for what purpose? It's not marked with a "you are here" dot and it's all in russian.

I guess this game is for the harder than hardcore players that like to drink and eat.

Guess i'll stay with pubg and vigor and patiently wait for RDR2 and Hunt showdown... 

1 minute ago, bent.toe said:

I got the Dayz map downloaded on my phone....it helps absolutly ZERO sinceni can't get a bearing...i tried looking at the map signs...for what purpose? It's not marked with a "you are here" dot and it's all in russian.

I guess this game is for the harder than hardcore players that like to drink and eat.

Guess i'll stay with pubg and vigor and patiently wait for RDR2 and Hunt showdown... 

When i was first learning the map i found the best way to do it was to look at roads and jumctions then look for something similar on the map.. Map navigation can be difficult if you havnt done it before but easily learnt..

The blue road signs in game are in Russian correct.. I cant remember what the IZurvive map provides haven't used it in a while always seemed the most outdated, but if you go on to http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-chernarus-plus-map/  you get the English version and the Russian version to you can actually match them up...

AJ

59 minutes and 17 seconds was the time i lasted. I found 3 soda cans and never once ran.

Me - i bought this game with a huge open world.

Friends - yeah...sounds cool. What is it about?

Me - it's about surviving in a zombie apocalyptic world.

Friends - cool, what do you have to do to survive? 

Me - drink and eat and be afraid of stairs and never ever run.

Friends - ??

Me - And yeah...your character got astma and loves track suits.

Friends - ummm..is it a free 2 play?

Me - nope...it's €45

Friends - holy crap? 

Me - yup

Friends - I'll pass..RDR2 is soon here.

Lmaooooo

keep playing dude you’ll get there I promise. Join low pop servers even til you see no doors open in a town. Loot it, you’ll find some food/water, and head north 

once you get that you can work towards more. I haven’t found a map in game but I’m sure they’ll come soon. Also don’t sprint at all unless you have to

Edited by GulpinGulpin

10 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

59 minutes and 17 seconds was the time i lasted. I found 3 soda cans and never once ran.

Me - i bought this game with a huge open world.

Friends - yeah...sounds cool. What is it about?

Me - it's about surviving in a zombie apocalyptic world.

Friends - cool, what do you have to do to survive? 

Me - drink and eat and be afraid of stairs and never ever run.

Friends - ??

Me - And yeah...your character got astma and loves track suits.

Friends - ummm..is it a free 2 play?

Me - nope...it's €45

Friends - holy crap? 

Me - yup

Friends - I'll pass..RDR2 is soon here.

Damn I’m sorry, I know the frustration is real cus I’ve felt it before. Next time you spawn, find a street sign usually at the road at the end of a  town. Use the map izsurvive and either get food/drinks at the place you’re at or run to the closest one and get some. This is the hardest part of the game for real. Once you have even a can or two of food and drinks you can head north and find more towns that have less chances of being looted already. join low population servers for better chances of loot. I promise it’ll get better. It’s a great game imo with lots of bugs though cus it’s a preview

and imo, meeting up with your friends is one of the best parts of the game. It can take an hour even but it really is an accomplishment to find each other, and is the coolest thing ever when it happens 

also, if you spawn and everything is looted already (doors open etc) either purposely die from zombies or log out for a bit and try another server. I honestly bet you haven’t come across a decently sized unlooted town yet. It’s because there’s only so many servers and the player counts don’t work plus other shit. It’ll get better. Trust me though, keep playing til you at least find a decent town with a good amount of food and drinks. I promise they exist. Then head to a military place and get dope guns and feel like a badass

Edited by GulpinGulpin
  • Beans 1

I got some decent gear and have been strolling through the woods staying out of sight and using less energy.  Been surviving.

7 hours ago, GulpinGulpin said:

Damn I’m sorry, I know the frustration is real cus I’ve felt it before. Next time you spawn, find a street sign usually at the road at the end of a  town. Use the map izsurvive and either get food/drinks at the place you’re at or run to the closest one and get some. This is the hardest part of the game for real. Once you have even a can or two of food and drinks you can head north and find more towns that have less chances of being looted already. join low population servers for better chances of loot. I promise it’ll get better. It’s a great game imo with lots of bugs though cus it’s a preview

and imo, meeting up with your friends is one of the best parts of the game. It can take an hour even but it really is an accomplishment to find each other, and is the coolest thing ever when it happens 

also, if you spawn and everything is looted already (doors open etc) either purposely die from zombies or log out for a bit and try another server. I honestly bet you haven’t come across a decently sized unlooted town yet. It’s because there’s only so many servers and the player counts don’t work plus other shit. It’ll get better. Trust me though, keep playing til you at least find a decent town with a good amount of food and drinks. I promise they exist. Then head to a military place and get dope guns and feel like a badass

Yeah...i don't doubt you.

It's all about risk and reward i get that.

But me and my gaming buddies are 40+ and don't really have the time to spend an hour trying to find eachother while at the same time looking for food/water.

I'm all about hardcore games and the developer not holding you'r hand. But this is not hardcore, this is tedious (eating and drink and basically spend most of game time looking for water and food) and for us it's not fun. It takes away from all the other great things you can do in this game like exploring, fighting off zombies and wild animals.

I don't need infinit sprint and running to a military base to gear up, head down to the coast and shoot freshly spawned players.

But what i do need is an real time 24 hour cycle where you have to eat and drink ONCE during that period. That should be more realistic. Dying of thirst/hunger after 30-ish minutes of gameplay (tried 3 times in a row) are...imo a moronic decision.

It's strange that not more of you fan's can see that this is flawed and ruins the experience.

Once this is fixed and a in-game map is added i doubt we will play it all together.

The map should NOT have anything other than town names and landmarks on it, a compass and dot's for your friends.

The drop rates are kinda hefty so the first 15 minutes or so of your spawn are the most crucial time; once you survive that its alot easier from there on out pal. Find a street sign and get your bearings; More than likely you will be around the east coast and have a few coastline towns to aid you in doing the above.

As people said, find a well it will keep you alive long enough to loot around the immediate area and you'll be able to keep returning to drink until you find a water container. Well's are located at most towns. Food can be anything from berries to fruit to livestock; I really recommend butchering near enough every animal you find until you are stocked on food to move on; granted 1 pig will give you an abundance of steak etc.

Once you have a water container amd some basic food supplies you can head inland to gather more substantial equipment. This is where I found the game becomes more fun and less of a chore to stay alive against the elements. 

HIGHLY RECOMMEND - Download DayZ central APP. 

Has a great map and many tips but the map alone will help greatly if you are struggling. 

Just now, Powell x91 said:

The drop rates are kinda hefty so the first 15 minutes or so of your spawn are the most crucial time; once you survive that its alot easier from there on out pal. Find a street sign and get your bearings; More than likely you will be around the east coast and have a few coastline towns to aid you in doing the above.

As people said, find a well it will keep you alive long enough to loot around the immediate area and you'll be able to keep returning to drink until you find a water container. Well's are located at most towns. Food can be anything from berries to fruit to livestock; I really recommend butchering near enough every animal you find until you are stocked on food to move on; granted 1 pig will give you an abundance of steak etc.

Once you have a water container amd some basic food supplies you can head inland to gather more substantial equipment. This is where I found the game becomes more fun and less of a chore to stay alive against the elements. 

HIGHLY RECOMMEND - Download DayZ central APP. 

Has a great map and many tips but the map alone will help greatly if you are struggling. 

@bent.toe 

32 minutes ago, Powell x91 said:

As people said, find a well it will keep you alive long enough to loot around the immediate area and you'll be able to keep returning to drink until you find a water container. Well's are located at most towns. . 

I drank at a well until 3 arrows showed on top, continued to jog for 3 (!!!!!!) minutes around town and guess what... He was thirsty with a down arrow.

You all can try and justify the stupid thirst/hunger all you want. It IS flawed and a game breaker for me.

And as you said..it gets much more fun once you head inlands with supplies.. You forgot to mention some vital things though:

To get meat you first need to find an animal, you need a knife, you need a rugsack...on top of that you are constantly thirsty and hungry, most houses are looted, zombies is present, other players shoot/attack you and so on..

What they should have done at each new spawn is like on the test server. You spawn with a small rugsack, a pistol with a small clip, a waterbottle and 2 canned baked beans. Atleast then you got a chance and are not forced to run around looting empty houses with 15 other players.

The thirst/hunger needs to go or open servers where it is removed/24 hour cycle.

3 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

I drank at a well until 3 arrows showed on top, continued to jog for 3 (!!!!!!) minutes around town and guess what... He was thirsty with a down arrow.

You all can try and justify the stupid thirst/hunger all you want. It IS flawed and a game breaker for me.

And as you said..it gets much more fun once you head inlands with supplies.. You forgot to mention some vital things though:

To get meat you first need to find an animal, you need a knife, you need a rugsack...on top of that you are constantly thirsty and hungry, most houses are looted, zombies is present, other players shoot/attack you and so on..

What they should have done at each new spawn is like on the test server. You spawn with a small rugsack, a pistol with a small clip, a waterbottle and 2 canned baked beans. Atleast then you got a chance and are not forced to run around looting empty houses with 15 other players.

The thirst/hunger needs to go or open servers where it is removed/24 hour cycle.

You're not thirsty when the markers are going down, thats just it actively showing you its decreasing towards being thirsty. Jogging means it will be going down by 2 arrows and sprinting 3 arrows no matter what. Same as 3 upwards arrows, Its to show you your meter is increasing it doesnt mean you're fully hydrated. Yes, kinda harsh at the start but its do-able, slight tweak to how fast it goes wouldn't go a miss but once you're more equipped it would be soooooo easy LOL 

For me, the whole game is fun. Starting off on my first couple attempts was tough to get a hang to aquiring what I needed and getting my bearings at the same time but now I'm steadily progressing and relatively well equipped. 

Yes, you need a knife to get meat but that was one of many options I gave for food. You've selected the hardest one out of all my suggestions to quote there. 

Spawning in with those items isn't what the game is about and if you want a more casual experience I don't think this game will accommodate you and it shouldn't have to.. Maybe upon full release there can be more open, customisable servers but for now; bigger worries and concerns about them being able to focus on server performance and vehicle play etc

PS, Send me the servers with those 15 players in 1 town...Sounds fun LOL 

19 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

And I've just lost an M4 with an ACOG attached due to being kicked from a server whilst filling water bottles....Game has bigger issues on its performance which need sorting rather than 'starting equipment' changes or removing/putting in a real time 24 hour cycle.

So when you say Im justifying stupid things...No, I'm trying to get attention on bigger concerns and off of minor game adjustments. 

1 hour ago, Powell x91 said:

And I've just lost an M4 with an ACOG attached due to being kicked from a server whilst filling water bottles....Game has bigger issues on its performance which need sorting rather than 'starting equipment' changes or removing/putting in a real time 24 hour cycle.

So when you say Im justifying stupid things...No, I'm trying to get attention on bigger concerns and off of minor game adjustments. 

Exactly my point...filling water bottles with emphasis on BOTTLES. Why? Because you need a hell of a lot of water.

Your M4 with scope would still be in your inventory if you only need to fill your bottle once every 24 hour.

You might not get pissed at it now...but it will come a time where it gets tedious, repetitve and boring...especially when it deter from the fun gamplay.

-Hey guys..lets check out that hill over there!

- No..i can't lets go and look for a well for 20 minutes instead.

I'm on a 2 day character, and it's a constant chore staying on top of food and drink . I want to explore but want to interact with PvP but I'm constantly reminded that eating and drinking take priority over everything else. Pretty boring TBH.

6 minutes ago, micky_north said:

I'm on a 2 day character, and it's a constant chore staying on top of food and drink . I want to explore but want to interact with PvP but I'm constantly reminded that eating and drinking take priority over everything else. Pretty boring TBH.

Glad to finally hear someone else thinking the same.

It's ruining the entire concept of surviving.

If they changed the system to only eat/drink every 24hrs then everyone would just be running to nwaf and gearing up. This game ain’t hard to stay alive , I’m on a 2 day char with svd sniper , mp5 , military clothing etc.. I got all the way to balota from bherizeno just scavenging at some towns as I passed through . Now I’m making my way north , and I have read somewhere they are hoping to have vehicles and base building in near end of preview , lol when they do add vehicles yeah good luck as it’s not just hop in and drive , no you’ll probably need to find wheels and car battery and fuel , then you can come back here and bitch about that as well. Have fun and stay healthy .

Edited by Darazun
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

Glad to finally hear someone else thinking the same.

It's ruining the entire concept of surviving.

Something isn't right with the food / energy balance, when I played on PC 1 tin of beans gave you nearly 45 mins of energy, here it feels like half of that, also it was easier to find food on PC, it seems really scarce on console. 

Edited by micky_north

25 minutes ago, Darazun said:

If they changed the system to only eat/drink every 24hrs then everyone would just be running to nwaf and gearing up. when they do add vehicles yeah good luck as it’s not just hop in and drive , no you’ll probably need to find wheels and car battery and fuel , then you can come back here and bitch about that as well. 

So i'm bitching huh?

Yes , the game is in preview yet you feel the need to complain about various things , pretty much bitching imo.

• Beans 1

40 minutes ago, Darazun said:

Yes , the game is in preview yet you feel the need to complain about various things , pretty much bitching imo.

As you said, the game is in preview and as such all complaints should be seen as feedback, Yet here you are, complaining about people who are complaining, which doesn't constitute game feedback it's basically bitching, which you seem to have issue with, except when you do it...

Complaining about a game mechanic is not feedback it’s bitching about a mechanic that is in the game , he cant stay alive for more than 30mins , not a very hard thing to do . I know I’ll go complain/bitch about the tested mechanic that’s been in the game for years. No wait I’ll go give feedback on a mechanic that is tried and tested. Everyone is entitled to an opinion , my opinion is he was bitching , enough said.