BluWolve

What sort of survivor are you?

So, I'm super excited to be able to play DayZ on Xbox, but am currently waiting for servers to come back online and ended up here. I was wondering; What sort of survivor are you gonna be?

Are you gonna be a lone wolf, "shoot first, ask questions later" kinda person? Maybe run with some friends as a ruthless bandit gang, using all manner of trickery to rob others of their supplies? How many are of the inclination to try and make friends, find other people to group with, safety in numbers and all that?

So, fellow Xbox players, how do you plan on surviving in Chernarus?

• Like 2

It's Xbox, they'll all be 13 year old, loud mouth punks that KOS and tell you about how they banged you mom last night. I hope I'm wrong, but, I doubt it.

Edited by TheCreeper (DayZ)
My fat fingers hit enter
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

I too hoped that wouldn't be the case, but if console gaming has taught me anything, it is a lot of 13 year olds have had relations with my mother haha.

When a new multiplayer PVP type game comes out on Xbox, unfortunately there are usually a lot of those types of players getting around. There will also be the inevitable influx of people whining about mechanics being too difficult, and a bunch of arm chair developers will come in and post about how this game should be.

To be fair though, usually after the initial hype dies down a bit the core community of mature adult players are mostly the only ones still around. I have seen it happen in plenty of games before, this one shouldn't be any different.

Don't get me wrong, KOS is a valid survival tactic and I will be expecting to be murdered a lot haha! I will be suspicious of every area I go into and everyone I meet, but I do hope to make some new friends in Chernarus.

42 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

It's Xbox, they'll all be 13 year old, loud mouth punks that KOS and tell you about how they banged you mom last night. I hope I'm wrong, but, I doubt it.

There is going to be such a huge play style change in DayZ on Xbox compared to PC primarily due to age... Unfortunately it will never be the same as it use to be when DayZ Mod released when everyone you walked into was s**t scared of the zombies and you actually helped each other.. Funny thing is when it first come out there was no VOIP everyone typed and very rare would you be KoS'd..

Back onto topic though.. I'm that guy you never see.. I'll be lurking in the woods watching people.. If i see that they need help i will find ways of doing so whether it be leaving a pile of food and water ahead of them on the road or silently killing zombies from a distance if they get into trouble.. I'm not one for showing myself unless i need to. On the other hand.. If i see something i don't like (A BANDIT) well i have my ways of dealing with that also.. My most favourite was when trip wires were added (but then sadly removed) i watched someone get robbed. So i left a trip wire a few houses up the road for him.. Safe to say the other guy got his stuff back. ;)

Ohhhhhh I cant wait to play with the minds of the new Xbox noobs :P

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

13 minutes ago, II AJEARLEY II said:

There is going to be such a huge play style change in DayZ on Xbox compared to PC primarily due to age... Unfortunately it will never be the same as it use to be when DayZ Mod released when everyone you walked into was s**t scared of the zombies and you actually helped each other.. Funny thing is when it first come out there was no VOIP everyone typed and very rare would you be KoS'd..

Back onto topic though.. I'm that guy you never see.. I'll be lurking in the woods watching people.. If i see that they need help i will find ways of doing so whether it be leaving a pile of food and water ahead of them on the road or silently killing zombies from a distance if they get into trouble.. I'm not one for showing myself unless i need to. On the other hand.. If i see something i don't like (A BANDIT) well i have my ways of dealing with that also.. My most favourite was when trip wires were added (but then sadly removed) i watched someone get robbed. So i left a trip wire a few houses up the road for him.. Safe to say the other guy got his stuff back. ;)

I've been around since the get go. Played with most the big names, even asked to join Dr. Wasteland. Always been a friendly player but, also love to watch from the shadows, my clan's MO was " smallest footprint possible ". Anyways, don't think cross platform is gonna be a thing, if it is, I'll have to come back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, II AJEARLEY II said:

Thats awesome! I could definitely see myself playing in a similar fashion. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of interactions I have with other survivors. Glad to know there could potentially be some friendlies watching from the shadows, and not just bandits or zombies :)

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

solo

and everything that goes with it

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

solo

and everything that goes with it

I can respect that, though surely that is the most difficult path of survival?

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, BluWolve said:

I have played alot by myself and with a small crew of people i know well for a long time. We would make small camps with barrels hidden in a thick part of the forest maybe with a tent close by. I myself are like some of the others above, hiding, lurking and waiting before commiting to a potentialy bad situation if you decide to approach another player.  The best peice of advice i could give is this. When you meet another random player always try to be confident and control or more so direct the conversation in your favor. Tell them you have a few freinds close by but they arent quite with you yet. That small verbal interaction will make players you meet think twice before they decide to shoot you in the back. I have done this for years and survived for very long periods at a time. There has never been another game where i have ever done this. I go through periods where i dont play for a long time for the most part these days. I like to wait for big updates

Other than that. Welcome to Dayz !

• Thanks 1

i will play as it its real. that means helping others(and getting screwed over by them) , and trying to get a team together to stay alive longer.  will be streaming a.s.ap on www.mixer.com/Honourable-Bandits so if your want to meet a friendly face come say hi. xbox GT Smokeydopey81. till then Stay safe out there ✌

On 8/22/2018 at 10:32 AM, BluWolve said:

Solo

there is no easy answer to that - it is the way to play that gives you the most constant high alertness. There are 300+ things you have to know and you always have to get them right - I cant list them.. start with knowing the terrain, knowing if you can reach the place you're heading for with the water in your canteen, knowing which rifle you need [Winchester] , and which handgun, and why [Mauser "Red 9" doesn't need ammo clip! , uses 9mm = best easiest all round handgun] . Carrying a scope to check out places before you move, navigating by shadows or stars,  always having a plan, moving by objective, already knowing what you will do when something unexpected happens.  A thousand things, this always keeps you highly alert.. how to dry off fast, know that crossing any open field is a risk, know the places other players don't find your stashes, find out how to predict animal movements, know exactly what you need to carry, know what is the best zombie weapon you can pick up easily,  Having ALWAYS an alternative route, an evasion, an alternative tactic ALREADY decided and nailed down. Dont ever turn up in a place short of water or food and blunder around looking for it. Plan so you arrive well fed while you check it out, for as long as you like,  and move in when you know what to expect.
. .. sorry but there are a thousand things to know and a WIDE alertness to maintain and it is down to YOU to play it, no one else.. A mistake is YOURS,  a slight carelessness is NOT slight, and it IS YOURS..  Sorry I cant tell you how to play solo, except  = Learn Everything = Don't make Mistakes =  Always KNOW what you are doing and why. = Plan =  BE AWARE = It's a great high.

I could go on and on about this, but it's .. a textbook..It's all the GENERAL stuff from survival and field-craft videos, and army pocketbooks, with all the equipment & prepper SPECIFICS thrown away and replaced by the DayZ environment = Everything in DayZ from snaring rabbits through to entering a barracks, or knowing how to pick off the ovewatch or a careless flanker in a military group (first check out for a WHILE which is the sloppiest (usually the overwatch - sorry dude)  and PLAN your escape, you know the terrain better than they do, but assume you don't.  =  and what parts of a skinned animal to keep, how many torn shirt bandages you ALWAYS need, and know at what distances the textures thin out, so if you are lying behind  high grass, the other player doesn't see you on a billiard table field,  know at what distance that hanging green branch cover will hide you or show you up.

-There are hundreds of hints and techniques scattered around the blog.  Too much to tell you.

You know, i have made a friends in the game, and we speak when we notice each other online.. but I've not ever SEEN one of them. 

Frankly - the most dangerous way to play is -= the most unexpected and dumbest and most deadly and sudden danger ALWAYS arrives when you are with other people..  either YOU get sloppy or one of them gets sloppy or crazy or there is action or an event and confusion breaks out..  these friendly guys you just met will get you killed and generally it will happen SOON.. If you want to go on surviving and want that steady non-stop high of concentration and movement and observation and decision, then go solo and don't stay with any folk you meet, after a pretty short time they WILL screw up.

Maybe the only "safer" people to be with are a mil group pretending to play ArmA.  But personally i don't like that style of play. For me a military group is a challenge as much as a pack of wolves. I'm the Resistance, in that scenario. I set it up, then ONE shot and I'm gone before I know if I hit the guy. Makes them think ((heh).  Military style movement has a textbook built-in dumbness to it that is inevitable.  

[but everyone plays how they like - that's the game]

Two things could be better in solo :

1) Should be able to boil water in an empty can, as we did in the old game. I just spent 3 nights (solo) in the REAL mountains here where I live, and I boil water in the last can I opened. - It's natural, it's obvious,  and it AINT in the game. (I boil my water to make Maté, by the way. Above 2500m that water boils at just the right temperature - And I like it with sugar.).

2) Wildlife (deer, boar) spook when you are inside a computer-set fixed distance.. the game animals base their AI reaction on your map distance.  It doesn't matter of you sneak up on them behind a hill, or are hidden, invisible or silent, - at the pre-set distance they spook.  You can be on the other side of a wall or lying motionless behind a rock watching them graze closer - but as soon as THAT map distance is reached, they spook. Obviously this is crazy. 

*).. in passing..  there are NO blankets. Someone stole ALL the blankets off EVERY bed in EVERY house in ALL of Chernarus (and just left guns ammo knives, food, rope, can openers, clothing, tools backpacks, hats, raincoats etc etc?) - that is Def. 100% WEIRD.. but not much to do with solo, as such .. just mentioning, this is crazy & STRANGE (devs?).  ther is SO MUCH a survivalist/crafter can do with a blanket .. hmm? The one thing you can be certain to find several of in EVERY house in the WHOLE Western World.  Gone Where, Why ?? !!  

OK BluWolve - Know ALL the stuff and the techniques you CAN use in DayZ (all of them) and know which work well, and which are not worthwhile. You know where you are going, and why, so as you move point to point know already right NOW what you will do if you hear a shot, or a car, and know already what you will do, where you will go if you hear wolves howl NOW, and how to deal with them.  Know the alternatives up front.

Solo is the biggest kick and the most continuous high. 

+ I'm not the only one.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Solo

there is no easy answer to that - it is the way to play that gives you the most constant high alertness. There are 300+ things you have to know and you always have to get them right - I cant list them.. start with knowing the terrain, knowing if you can reach the place you're heading for with the water in your canteen, knowing which rifle you need, and which handgun, and why. Carrying a scope to check out places before you move, navigating by shadows or stars,  always having a plan, moving by objective, already knowing what you will do when something unexpected happens.  A thousand things, this always keeps you highly alert.. how to dry off fast, know that crossing any open field is a risk, know the places other players don't find your stashes, find out how to predict animal movements, know exactly what you need to carry, know what is the best zombie weapon you can pick up easily,  Having ALWAYS an alternative route, an evasion, an alternative tactic ALREADY decided and nailed down. Dont ever turn up in a place short of water or food and blunder around looking for it. Plan so you arrive well fed while you check it out, for as long as you like,  and move in when you know what to expect.
. .. sorry but there are a thousand things to know and a WIDE alertness to maintain and it is down to YOU to play it, no one else.. A mistake is YOURS,  a slight carelessness is NOT slight, and it IS YOURS..  Sorry I cant tell you how to play solo, except  = Learn Everything = Don't make Mistakes =  Always KNOW what you are doing and why. = Plan =  BE AWARE = It's a great high.

I could go on and on about this, but it's .. a textbook..It's all the GENERAL stuff from survival and field-craft videos, and army pocketbooks, with all the equipment & prepper SPECIFICS thrown away and replaced by the DayZ environment = Everything in DayZ from snaring rabbits through to entering a barracks, or knowing how to pick off the ovewatch or a careless flanker in a military group (first check out for a WHILE which is the sloppiest (usually the overwatch - sorry dude)  and PLAN your escape, you know the terrain better than they do, but assume you don't.  =  and what parts of a skinned animal to keep, how many torn shirt bandages you ALWAYS need, and know at what distances the textures thin out, so if you are lying behind  high grass, the other player doesn't see you on a billiard table field,  know at what distance that hanging green branch cover will hide you or show you up.

-There are hundreds of hints and techniques scattered around the blog.  Too much to tell you.

You know, i have made a friends in the game, and we speak when we notice each other online.. but I've not ever SEEN one of them. 

Frankly - the most dangerous way to play is -= the most unexpected and dumbest and most deadly and sudden danger ALWAYS arrives when you are with other people..  either YOU get sloppy or one of them gets sloppy or crazy or there is action or an event and confusion breaks out..  these friendly guys you just met will get you killed and generally it will happen SOON.. If you want to go on surviving and want that steady non-stop high of concentration and movement and observation and decision, then go solo and don't stay with any folk you meet, after a pretty short time they WILL screw up.

Maybe the only "safer" people to be with are a mil group pretending to play ArmA.  But personally i don't like that style of play. For me a military group is a challenge as much as a pack of wolves. I'm the Resistance, in that scenario. I set it up, then ONE shot and I'm gone before I know if I hit the guy. Makes them think ((heh).  Military style movement has a textbook built-in dumbness to it that is inevitable.  

[but everyone plays how they like - that's the game]

Two things could be better in solo :

1) Should be able to boil water in an empty can, as we did in the old game. I just spent 3 nights (solo) in the REAL mountains here where I live, and I boil water in the last can I opened. - It's natural, it's obvious,  and it AINT in the game. (I boil my water to make Maté, by the way. Above 2500m that water boils at just the right temperature - And I like it with sugar.).

2) Wildlife (deer) spook when you are inside a computer-set fixed distance.. the deer base their AI reaction on your map position.  It doesn't matter of you sneak up on them behind a hill, or are invisible or silent, - at the set distance they spook.  You can be on the other side of a wall or lying motionless behind a rock watching them graze closer - but as soon as THAT map distance is reached they spook. Obviously this is crazy. 

OK BluWolve - Know ALL the stuff and the techniques you CAN use in DayZ (all of them) and know which work well, and which are not worthwhile. You know where you are going, and why, so as you move point to point know already right NOW what you will do if you hear a shot, or a car, and know already what you will do, where you will go if you hear wolves howl NOW, and how to deal with them.  Know the alternatives up front.

Solo is the biggest kick and the most continuous high. 

+ I'm not the only one.

xxP

This is incredibly helpful, and I will be sure to apply these lessons in game! Thankyou so much for taking the time to write all this out :)

• Beans 1

On 8/23/2018 at 12:40 AM, BluWolve said:

This is incredibly helpful, and I will be sure to apply these lessons in game! Thankyou so much for taking the time to write all this out :)

Solo - main thing is if you WANT to go solo it and it SUITS you..  There are tips and explanations everywhere on the blog (and YouTube) on how to do anything in DayZ and how useful or safe it is..  (just recently they are swamped by arguments about versions, but search back a bit in the threads last couple of years, everything is there - also look at the DayZ Wiki [dayz.gamepedia.com].

and if you want to try it out.. cover the map on foot
.. start at SE corner and go overland to NW corner, then NE corner to SW corner, etc.. then top to bottom down the middle.. skirt round built up areas, find places to scope them, take your time.. & remember the obvious place to scope a area will be the first place another player will set up to scope or snipe .. find out what always/often attracts players AND the seemingly "quiet" places they like to set up their camps..   find concealed routs to approach (for instance) a water pump [there are just one or pumps in good places, little known, easy cover in and easy out] .. always fill your bottle when it rains. Keep your mike turned off unless you speak, or the other guy will hear your cough or your keyboard before you know he's there.
.. And learn the terrain, know what is over the next hill, know the areas of deep cover, If you stumble on stashed barrels or tents back out fast the way you came, come back when you have sussed the situation (you know where they are now).. Find good un-observable places to log in and out..   

many many things..

all the techniques are back a way in these blogs right here.. more advice than I could ever give..

- Then do the map crossings at night (without extra alpha, natch).  It's neat.

It's a way of life..   IF YOU LIKE IT  - it has always, at every moment, a level of excitement (not just "from time to time"),  and it needs alertness, and always planning. Know where you are going and why, & know what you need to get there.  

When you newspawn  - throw away the flare, make a flint knife and tear up your shirt for bandages, drink at the first pond,/river till you're full (if the water infects you [rare], vomit & maybe you'll live) go find another shirt or any body cover and any backpack (kids backpack, usually).. then head into the woods. Now the map is yours, you're a free man. 

• Like 1

while the game is on the stress server, I kill everyone who sees it, when the game comes out I would like to play clean

So I have been running solo, and am enjoying it. I have managed to keep out of sight of other players, and have been travelling mainly in the woods.

I scope out a town, village, or group of houses, and move in for looting when I am satisfied it is clear. I am slowly building up useful items, but with how the inventory is on Xbox at the moment I can't really carry much with me, despite having found a big ol' hiking backpack.

I have been preparing for each trip between built up areas by making sure I have plenty of food and water for the trip, and have only had to fire a gun a couple of times so I am well stocked with ammo.

I have got myself a good melee weapon that I use when dealing with zombies, but generally they haven't been too much of an issue.

I started in the East, and have been slowly working my way to the North West. I am hoping to find a compass or a map of some sort, but for now I just use the road signs and road side maps to help me get my bearings and keep me heading in the right direction.

I am actually pretty surprised how big the map is, but going carefully and slowly and making notes of land marks has helped me start to get familiar with the areas I am traveling through.

Loving the game so far, can't wait for the inventory issues on console to be fixed up. I am also really looking forward to grouping up with friends when it comes out to game preview, but playing solo definitely has it's perks and advantages.

Whatever your playstyle, there is never a dull moment in Chernarus!

• Beans 1

Yo !  dump the compass BW  
- [& I'm sorry this is off topic folks]

1) I don't know how up-to-date this map is, but it's Chernarus, for sure: 

www.dayztv.com/map/#3.021.109

1 ) map ?? - It seems fair to me for beginners to check it (before they play) to get the layout and roughly know the areas (and to help with the place names on signposts!).  I used to look at it BEFORE I started a session,  plan a direction or an objective, then close it and go into the game and use what I could REMEMBER from when I had seen the map. So I'd never look at it  in-game. Seems fair and realistic to ME, to act that way. And it adds a dimension - you saw a map in the past, now it's up you to remember it on the terrain  as best you can.. 

2) compass ?? =  .. Chernarus is in the North of the world (north of the Equator) ... so the sun at Noon = when it is highest,  (not GMT+1 or any "human invented hour", this is about "the rotation of the Planet" and no fancy summer/winter human hour-changing to make people get up earlier etc). Noon is when the sun is highest, and at noon it is above you AND due South - so tree shadows at noon will point North. - the sun at about 06:30 (summer, true earth-solar time) in Chernarus, will be East, and at 17:00 it will be West,  rule of thumb and don't bother about fine angles  ..  And if the sun is about 45° climbing up to the zenith then it's  in the SE and if it's sinking 45° towards the sunset it is in the SW.   And shadows point away from the sun (hey, that's just the way things ARE, it ain't my fault), so every forest and post,  and your own body, is your compass. (might as well get your direction worked out anyway, and take note of some object in that direction, in case the clouds come in thick). 

If you need to -  From first principles, even if you didn't notice the game-time when you logged in - you know roughly what time of day it is in-game by looking at the sun and checking if it's rising or falling (if you have NO idea which, then spend 3 mins watching a shadow getting longer or shorter). So now you know what direction the Sun is -  And you know that shadows point exactly away from the sun.  So angle yourself to a shadow so your body is pointing the way you want to go, and keep going with the shadows always at that angle to your body.  You're good for an hour or so at least.. even if you're a few degrees off course you're definitely going in the right direction..   you know which way you're heading, pretty soon you'll find a landmark you recognize.

xxp ('scuse me interrupting the thread)

Edited by pilgrim*
~