Sign in to follow this  
G18C

Low FPS recently

Recently I've switched GPU's from a NVIDIA Quadro 4000, to a EVGA Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB OC. I would think that the change in GPU's would make a performance difference, it did in other games pretty massively. 

Some of my benchmarks

DayZ (Old GPU): 25 FPS in Elektro, 40 In kamy whilst looking towards solnichny on the road, 70 while looking at the shore, 25 while looking up at the mountains.

DayZ (New GPU) 10FPS in Elektro, 25-30 as my average-high for running around chernarus, 25 while looking towards solnichny on the road in kamy, 50 while looking at the coast, and 10 while looking in the hills.

After around 1,200 hours in DayZ in total, this is terrible for me because even on my older builds which has worse specs than my current one I had great FPS.

And it wasn't always like this from the day I plugged in my new GPU, the day I got it I was actually in a firefight in elektro which after I won the fight, I retreated into the forest to pop the new GPU into my motherboard. After doing so I went from 30 FPS in the northern woods of elektro - to 90fps around there.

My in-game settings

Everything either low or high hasn't effected performance at all. It stays the same no matter what my graphics settings are.

Objects: High

Terrain: Very Low

HDR Quality: Very Low

Shadows: Very low

Post-Processing: Medium

AO: Enabled

Bloom/Motion Blur: 0%

Gamma/Brightness: 0%

Texture Quality: Very High

Texture Filtering: Very High

I've tried several guides labeled (DAYZ .62 FPS GUIDE) Which just include launch options which don't even do anything at all, and to change NVIDIA Control panel settings, which I normally do anyways

My Nvidia settings, I've tried putting it at default for 3D management on Performance for everything which doesn't make a difference at all, and I've also tried Prefer Maximum Performance, Texture Quality: High Performance.

I've tried editing my CFG files and reducing Scene Complexity, TerrainGrid, Shadow Quality, View distance, Object View Distance, and none of these things made a difference.

I haven't been playing DayZ at all for these reasons and if somebody could help me that would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully you guys can figure out something so I can enjoy some Kamyshovo shenanigans once again. 

26 minutes ago, Ze-Krush said:

Objects: High

Here you go.
Objects usually uses CPU power, not GPU, in larger areas there's way more geometry to handle and you're running with hi quality objects, that can cause high fps drops since your CPU bottlenecks, also GPU has more job in larger areas especially for Antialiasing and AO.

Anyway im surprised that you have less fps after switching from weak QUADRO ( that is even weak for computing/work ), maybe your power supply is bad and doesn't handle the GPU somehow even thats unlikely.. Or maybe DayZ engine just likes QUADRO's way more :D
Drop your full PC specs.

Edited by exacomvm
  • Beans 1

11 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

Here you go.
Objects usually uses CPU power, not GPU, in larger areas there's way more geometry to handle and you're running with hi quality objects, that can cause high fps drops since your CPU bottlenecks, also GPU has more job in larger areas especially for Antialiasing and AO.

Anyway im surprised that you have less fps after switching from weak QUADRO ( that is even weak for computing/work ), maybe your power supply is bad and doesn't handle the GPU somehow even thats unlikely.. Or maybe DayZ engine just likes QUADRO's way more :D
Drop your full PC specs.

Old build

AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8 GHZ Quad Core

Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB

Vengeance 16gb DDR3 RAM

500W PSU

Some shitty foxconn mobo

New Build

AMD FX 9590 8 Core 4.5ghz 

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB OC

16GB Vengeance DDR3

750W PSU

Gigabyte 990fx mobo

Also to mention, I stated that turning my settings to low (Objects in this case) doesn't drop my FPS, nor gain. It remains the same which is very odd.

I also used to get 90fps at the main menu, now I get 40.

Also, I've tried using my old CPU and I see little to no difference in the framerate.

Some more info I left out

my old psu was just a random one that didnt even have branding on it.

my new one is an EVGA 750w Modular 

I have an i5-2320 which is pretty much same as your CPU so i think that fps you have is way too low.
I also had some random fps drops in DayZ when switching from Stable to Exp, like 50% fps drop, so it could be server issues.
Another cause could be this Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, many users reported problems with Nvidia cards/drivers.

Probs i will jump into a game and see myself if thats dayz issues, didn't played it in a while, but had pretty good fps last time.

Meanwhile you can try to run quick benchmark and see if your components runs properly based on worldwide averages. ( disable MSI Afterburner's RivaTuner if you use before the test )
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Software

Edited by exacomvm

https://imgur.com/dPqtduI

Found a video clip of my old settings on my previous GPU.

I was definitely getting better FPS, the thing is, my new GPU had great FPS when I first got it. Now it seems to have dropped in performance.

What's the PSU models you had before and now? Watts doesn't say anything tbh and 750W is way too much for your current rig unless you've OC'ed the FX pretty high ( that can cause some performance issues too )

Edited by exacomvm

31 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

What's the PSU models you had before and now? Watts doesn't say anything tbh and 750W is way too much for your current rig ( that can cause some performance issues too )

EVGA 750 W Fully Modular Gold Certified. 

I've had this PSU for a while now, even prior to getting my new card. The FPS thing only happened recently, and it only happens on DayZ. I get 20 at lowest, 30-40 average, 70 highest in PUBG with everything Medium-Ultra. Grand Theft Auto V I remain over 60 at all times with almost very high everything. ArmA 3 I get around 40-50 with all Very High.

Edited by Ze-Krush

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hANeQtgj3MCwSTHeCCRnGs3r1yzF-12x

Here is a video clip of my current FPS in DayZ. Shadowplay has no effect on FPS that I've seen so it should be a pretty accurate recording to my actual FPS, although I lack a framerate counter you should be able to visually see the drops.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s4AUy62rm0b7zAFCRSIqNc6bexk3uh6n

Here is a PUBG clip from my new GPU as well. As you can see the FPS difference is insane. I was dropping decent amounts because I had a lot of programs open and PUBG has a habit of starting in low priority. But it is still better than DayZ, which shocks me because on my old build I ran DayZ at higher FPS than PUBG with less stutters and drops. PUBG was almost unplayable with me having to play at 720p with 70% 3D resolution just to reach 40fps.

Edited by Ze-Krush

I just tried to play DayZ Stable w/ your settings in a random pub server the fps is as before, there might be issues with your hardware or OS.
Btw try to disable all background stuff ( music, especially browser such as chrome etc and all not necessary stuff since your CPU could be possibly bottlenecking ). Also try different servers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfpq3QbtxY

My specs:
CPU: i5-2320 ( should not be much different than yours in terms of performance )
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 980Ti 6GB AMP! Omega ( ye its overkill compared to 1050Ti, but before i've played with shitty R9 270 and it performed pretty ok )
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1333 ( basically same, mby urs better cuz better mobo )
PSU: OCZ ZS 650W 80+
Screen: LG UltraWide 2560x1080
Playing on SSD

EDIT:  Check temps/usage ingame of GPU and CPU, happened to me once when my cooler got loose and fps dropped to extremely low levels even it was fine before and i didn't figured out why since other games was running fine till i checked the temps later. The reason was that the other games was not so CPU intensive as DayZ so it didn't reached very high temps cause  it was cooled slightly, but in dayz the temps was 99c and CPU downcloked itself pretty bad. Was like 20ish fps compared to 50-70 before.

If temps is OK and based on UserBench your components performs as expected/above then it could be just bad server or OS problems ( running bg apps, nvidia driver issues, etc. ).
The last step you should try is to put your OLD PSU into your current rig and see if something changes, just make sure the CPU is set at stock clocks since it eats around 400W if OC'ed and 500W psu could be not enough for whole rig , if thats the first time ure running this PSU it could be the cause since some of them can come faulty from the factory no matter how good the PSU is.

Edited by exacomvm

10 hours ago, exacomvm said:

I just tried to play DayZ Stable w/ your settings in a random pub server the fps is as before, there might be issues with your hardware or OS.
Btw try to disable all background stuff ( music, especially browser such as chrome etc and all not necessary stuff since your CPU could be possibly bottlenecking ). Also try different servers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfpq3QbtxY

My specs:
CPU: i5-2320 ( should not be much different than yours in terms of performance )
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 980Ti 6GB AMP! Omega ( ye its overkill compared to 1050Ti, but before i've played with shitty R9 270 and it performed pretty ok )
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1333 ( basically same, mby urs better cuz better mobo )
PSU: OCZ ZS 650W 80+
Screen: LG UltraWide 2560x1080
Playing on SSD

EDIT:  Check temps/usage ingame of GPU and CPU, happened to me once when my cooler got loose and fps dropped to extremely low levels even it was fine before and i didn't figured out why since other games was running fine till i checked the temps later. The reason was that the other games was not so CPU intensive as DayZ so it didn't reached very high temps cause  it was cooled slightly, but in dayz the temps was 99c and CPU downcloked itself pretty bad. Was like 20ish fps compared to 50-70 before.

If temps is OK and based on UserBench your components performs as expected/above then it could be just bad server or OS problems ( running bg apps, nvidia driver issues, etc. ).
The last step you should try is to put your OLD PSU into your current rig and see if something changes, just make sure the CPU is set at stock clocks since it eats around 400W if OC'ed and 500W psu could be not enough for whole rig , if thats the first time ure running this PSU it could be the cause since some of them can come faulty from the factory no matter how good the PSU is.

My GPU stayed at 30-40 degrees Celsius, and my cpu stays around the same, highest temp of 45. 

But like i've said. Every other game runs perfectly fine, and DayZ ran fine about 3 weeks prior. I haven't changed any of my parts since then and all of them work properly. I normally have nothing running in the background. At most i'll have spotify, or discord, but they barely use any CPU usage and I haven't seen any FPS drops from my testing with background programs in the past.

I also tried swapping PSU's and that made things worse. My PC just powered down after 10 minutes of playtime. The FPS seemed the same though.

Edited by Ze-Krush

5 minutes ago, Ze-Krush said:

My GPU stayed at 30-40 degrees Celsius, and my cpu stays around the same, highest temp of 45. 

But like i've said. Every other game runs perfectly fine, and DayZ ran fine about 3 weeks prior. I haven't changed any of my parts since then and all of them work properly. I normally have nothing running in the background. At most i'll have spotify, or discord, but they barely use any CPU usage and I haven't seen any FPS drops from my testing with background programs in the past.

I also tried swapping PSU's and that made things worse. My PC just powered down after 10 minutes of playtime. The FPS seemed the same though.

Okay that makes sense, probs you're sticking with the only server that might have poor performance. otherwise there's like no logic explanation for that.
On another hand try ot overclock your FX CPU if you have decent cooling ( just make sure you know what you're doing before doing :D ). 

• Beans 1

Just now, exacomvm said:

Okay that makes sense, probs you're sticking with the only server that might have poor performance. otherwise there's like no logic explanation for that.
On another hand try ot overclock your FX CPU if you have decent cooling ( just make sure you know what you're doing before doing :D ). 

It just doesn't make sense to me because this started happening a few weeks ago, I didn't change any parts around there. 

3 minutes ago, Ze-Krush said:

It just doesn't make sense to me because this started happening a few weeks ago, I didn't change any parts around there. 

Yeah, thats why you should try to jump between servers also try to switch from Stable to Exp just to see if something changes.
Record an gameplay with MSI Afterburner running ( that shows GPU usage.temps, VRAM Usage, RAM usage, CPU usage, CPU temps )

Edited by exacomvm

Just now, exacomvm said:

Yeah, thats why you should try to jump between servers also try to switch from Stable to Exp just to see if something changes.

It stays the same throughout all servers. Sometimes I get lucky and maintain 60fps on first person servers though. I've also been getting terrible freezing when it comes to opening my inventory. From the sounds of this, do you know what could possibly be causing it? 

5 minutes ago, Ze-Krush said:

It stays the same throughout all servers. Sometimes I get lucky and maintain 60fps on first person servers though. I've also been getting terrible freezing when it comes to opening my inventory. From the sounds of this, do you know what could possibly be causing it? 

I have no idea tbh since it doesn't match anything related to your technical specs, but it can be because of HDD ( if you don't have SSD ) or even the RAM. 
If you're running your OS on HDD and DayZ on same HDD it could be slight bottleneck, for RAM stability you can use the "Windows Memory Diagnostic" tool that's available since Windows 10 i think.
Also try to disable Windows Superfetch, Windows Search, Cortana and Xbox DVR if you're running W10. ( google how to ).

Edited by exacomvm

I suspect, as was mentioned, possibly the windows 10 fall creators update is causing problems. I experience them myself, not so much in DAYZ (although I do think I used to get some better fps than currently, which are way higher than yours) but I have all kinds of issues with several games, like crashing and even my system restarting spontaneously - no not due to high temps or bad PSU). This all started with the update. I am also under the impression the last two NVIDIA drivers are not very good. It is probably too late to rollback your windows to a state before the update but you could try some older NVIDIA drivers and see if that makes a difference. I am actually considering to go back to windows 7 myself (is supported until 2020) and at a later date give 10 another go when hopefully these kinds of issues are solved.

My system specs are in my signature (all important parts are new since august 2017).

Edited by nl

37 minutes ago, nl said:

I suspect, as was mentioned, possibly the windows 10 fall creators update is causing problems. I experience them myself, not so much in DAYZ (although I do think I used to get some better fps than currently, which are way higher than yours) but I have all kinds of issues with several games, like crashing and even my system restarting spontaneously - no not due to high temps or bad PSU). This all started with the update. I am also under the impression the last two NVIDIA drivers are not very good. It is probably too late to rollback your windows to a state before the update but you could try some older NVIDIA drivers and see if that makes a difference. I am actually considering to go back to windows 7 myself (is supported until 2020) and at a later date give 10 another go when hopefully these kinds of issues are solved.

My system specs are in my signature (all important parts are new since august 2017).

Don't go back to W7, it's just stupid, haha. Well i've never updated to Fall, but instead i've installed the W10 with fall update and damn i had so much issues at first, but i've figured out that W10 was downloading and doing shit in bg like finalizing the OS or something or even downloading my whole SSD/HDD drives, my internet was limited to like 200kb/s for like  2-3hours ( usually i have around 14mb/s dl speed and 7-8mb/s up ), also had random freezing and stuff, but now it works just fine.

What nl said up there. If you think you've used up all options with in-game graphics settings, you might want to go this route and also search on the internet: check if your drivers version is the latest one, and maybe you would want to use and earlier version on this particular model you use now. That whole correct latest driver version thing might impact performance if it's not the latest card model. Go to this nVidia driver search page and look for your model and system version, and make sure you select 'recommended/certified' from the pull down menu. I'd try some older versions and how it works in Dayz. 

Talking about Windows 10 fall update, my MSI R9 270x gaming graphics card is practically dead now. Windows won't boot and my screen is now decorated with two colorful vertical stripes. I don't know if I can blame it on anything else then a faulty or just expired component or a dying fan maybe. It was about 3 and a half years old, so out of warranty and maybe should have been expected. But it was interesting that first I got that win 10 update installed, then next day ATI drivers were updated automatically. It messed with me few times before, but I thought I turned those off...  So I searched and read about that from people with similar issues, even in earlier updates, and it could also be that something got messed up with those two. ATI drivers are infamous compared to nVidia it seems. In the middle of the game it died on me. It worked just fine with my i5 3350p in Dayz with about 30-60 fps around the map.

Edited by cirkular

Thanks for all the help, but I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional. I didn't experience these problems prior to 3 weeks ago and it came out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, cirkular said:

check if your drivers version is the latest one

I do have the latest geforce drivers, It may also be because the latest ones are causing the FPS drops. I've had that happen before but I've tried going to older versions of the graphics drivers and it never fixed.

I am playing on a WD Blue 1TB HDD which has 700gb left on it. Barely any programs running on it either. 

I'm just going to hope .63 experimental fixes this issue.

13 hours ago, Ze-Krush said:

I'm just going to hope .63 experimental fixes this issue.

Probably not, since you can't even run this current version properly. Try to follow the steps i've mentioned above and report back :)
With 1050Ti u should get pretty decent performance.

Edited by exacomvm

Sorry if I missed this in your posts, you mentioned editing your Dayz cfg files, but did you try to delete them and start over with settings in game? If you want, back them up somewhere just in case.

On 11/25/2017 at 7:48 PM, cirkular said:

Sorry if I missed this in your posts, you mentioned editing your Dayz cfg files, but did you try to delete them and start over with settings in game? If you want, back them up somewhere just in case.

Yeah I have, I actually somewhat fixed majority of the lag the other day by looking at the DayZ.cfg file. In there my "rendering resolution" was set to 4k when I'm on a 1080p monitor.