ToySmokes

Dynamic interface

Hi everyone! I'll try to make this as short as I possibly can.

This is my idea for a new, more dynamic interface: (This only works in 3rd person, but adjustments could be made so it also works in 1st person).

As the player press the tab key a dynamic interface appears attached to the characters backpack. During this the player can still move his or hers character and perform any other task that he or she would be able to to without the interface. It also dynamically follows the characters movements, swaying depending on what way the character is turning. Then if the player wants to arrange something in the backpack or pick up something and decide where to put it, the player instead has to hold down the tab key. During this the character goes down in crouch, takes of the backpack and places it infront of himself/herself. The interface follows the character down and puts itself either to the right or left of the character, depending on what shoulder the camera looks over. This can also be changed while in the interface. On the opposite side of the backpacks interface there also appears a second box where all items in the characters immediate surroundings appear, much like how the current system works. Now the player is unable to move the character, but instead he or she can use the courser to arrange the items in the backpack and on the ground. Then as soon as the player is done he or she simply releases the tab button and the character puts on its backpack and return to the same stance that it was in before the player pressed and held the tab key.

With this system in place, the player is always immersed in the world due to no overlays over the surroundings. The interface would also feel less clumsy and fit a lot better with the new "selection of target" thing that was showcased in the 30th of May Status report

I have attached one gif for how it looks when pressing the tab key, and one image for when holding it down.

Pressing: (This also showcase how the interface would react when you drag items into it).

Holding down: (The character is obviously not crouching ect, but I'm no skilled photoshopper so this was the best I could do).

Edited by ToySmokes
Added one more tag
  • Like 2

Whats up man!! first of all i want to thank for this kind of post, I personally find them very interesting.

That said, I think the idea has a lot to offer and goes in the same direction that (as I read in the latest status reports) are looking from the development team. The idea of a new inventory is already decided, so suggestions of this kind are ideal to devise as it could become. I think your alternative (although obviously a prototype that is far from finished), have something to offer and I would like to highlight some points and observe others:

1. I think that a system where the inventory is not a "full screen" one or at least or at least have the possibility to have this type of quick access without having to open a full screen inventory
  2. I also like the differentiation between the use of items in the backpack in relation to the items in your clothes. The fact that, in order to use and use the backpacks, our character must remain still is not only coherent, but would give much more logic to the way one organizes our inventory.

The things that I find "complex" or that I would like to know your opinion about how they could be done are the following:

1. When you press tab key, would all the clothes and backpacks be opened ? There should not be a highlighting system where by holding tab + click one can select in the character the part of the inventory to open?
  2. How would you throw a piece of your clothes to the floor? (For example the backpack? your pants? etc.)
  3. As it would have to be the system to see the content that one has in the hand (for example, a full backpack)?

In fact there are dozens of questions that can logically arise from the possibility of a new inventory system. What I would like to make clear is my opinion on the subject. I think if they really create a new inventory, it should be as non-invasive as possible. Maybe not from the aesthetic or size (because a complex game like this and with so many items requires a large and organized inventory), but from the necessity of its use. I mean: in my opinion, Dayz has to reduce the need to access to the inventory, but this (inventory) must be there. They can do this through keyboard shortcuts, special keys, key combinations, shortcuts, among other features.

What I can quickly think right know is a combined system where there are dynamic and fast menus (like your gifs) to use elements in your clothes (pants, jacket, vest, etc.), but when it comes to the backpack, there must necessarily be an inventory screen that limits both vision and movement in our character, more similar to the current system or the one that uses the game "The Forest".

Anyway, thanks again for the good work and for putting it to the consideration of other users.

Jeah nice Idea. But maybe it would be great if we would be able to choose with hotkeys/quickmenu wich part of inventory or characterscreen we want to achieve.

For example

EPomxIkh.jpg

you press tab and a quick menu appears

vYOOQpYh.png

and if you choose your backpack you go prone and are not able to move, before you leave the menu by pressing tab.

g31WxHjh.png

... for shure you would be able to reach the different tabs with hotkeys for example. But it would be able to access vests trousers etc while moving and the backpack only by stop movement and going prone.

By the way I love the Escape from Tarkov system where you have to search in the different containers (vests, backpacks, etc) to see whats in it if you loot someone. (Just a few seconds)

Edit: and these are not my Icons, thanks to glorious Wiki and free png icons

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka
image size
  • Like 5

Thank you. It's just a quick draw to clear up what I mean. But I like the inventory system, where you can place your objects how you like to and only size and weight limit the objects you put in your backpack. It's like in life is feudal.

• Like 1