Sign in to follow this  
Sbuffanoia

Crafting: Noise Grenade

My Idea:

I Propose there may be a possibility to craft a throwable item starting from a few bullets whitch can simulate a few gunfire, usable as a decoy for zombies and other players.

Why this would be beneficial: 

it would help a player  decoyng hostile/s and try to escape  a disadvantageous enconter.

yeah...maybe you could use ruined bullets in this....bullets should be so rare in game that you dont wanna waste them as a decoy.

• Like 1

How would this noise grenade work?  Meaning how would one possibly be crafted IRL?  Is this concept something easy enough to engineer and assemble properly that it will work more than half the time?  It seems feasible, but I don't know what in-game items would be in the recipe.

Could it be as simple as duct-taping cannon fuse along the primers of a few rounds, and folding it up in an empty food or drink can?  Duct taping a flare to a spray paint can is something that can be done with materials already in the game.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

How would this noise grenade work?  Meaning how would one possibly be crafted IRL?  Is this concept something easy enough to engineer and assemble properly that it will work more than half the time?  It seems feasible, but I don't know what in-game items would be in the recipe.

Could it be as simple as duct-taping cannon fuse along the primers of a few rounds, and folding it up in an empty food or drink can?  Duct taping a flare to a spray paint can is something that can be done with materials already in the game.

There's a few 'recipes' out there for using Bullets as alarms/decoys, but not in the sense of making a grenade you can just prime and throw.  Also primers don't really work like that, they need to impacted with something hard and quick.  It MIGHT be possible without taking the round apart (removing bullets, powder, primer) but it would be very dangerous.  If you could somehow make it so you throw the 'can' against hard surface and strike the primers, you've now got a can full of bullets being fired off with a chance of them hitting you or a friend.  Now removing the bullets and making them blanks would be a step in the right direction safety wise.  Short of tossing a handful of rounds into a fire, there'd be no real way of simulating gunfire with a simple 'throw and go' method.

There are going to be cheaper and other ways of distracting zombies when the stealth system is fleshed out I think.  One of them already mentioned was using radios and receivers to lure zombies or even players to an area.

• Like 1

You just reminded me of the Ooooold mod bug where tin cans (trash item, or used food left over) made a grenade sound when you threw them.

It was amazing.. also you used to be able to distract infected with thrown items fairly easily. Just toss a rock or tin can away from you, and the infected would walk towards it. 

Edited by lrishjake

On 3/27/2017 at 4:19 PM, IkaikaKekai said:

There's a few 'recipes' out there for using Bullets as alarms/decoys, but not in the sense of making a grenade you can just prime and throw.  Also primers don't really work like that, they need to impacted with something hard and quick.  It MIGHT be possible without taking the round apart (removing bullets, powder, primer) but it would be very dangerous.  If you could somehow make it so you throw the 'can' against hard surface and strike the primers, you've now got a can full of bullets being fired off with a chance of them hitting you or a friend.  Now removing the bullets and making them blanks would be a step in the right direction safety wise.  Short of tossing a handful of rounds into a fire, there'd be no real way of simulating gunfire with a simple 'throw and go' method.

There are going to be cheaper and other ways of distracting zombies when the stealth system is fleshed out I think.  One of them already mentioned was using radios and receivers to lure zombies or even players to an area.

Makes sense that primers would be heat-resistant, what with the heat generated in the breech and all.  I didn't even want to mention scoring through the rims with a hacksaw, but that might be an option.  Steel on brass shouldn't spark, right?...  *Cringe*

At that point though, it would be safer to just superglue a .177 bb to a shotshell primer and duct tape that to a 8 oz cannonball sinker with a streamer to keep it falling upright, and hope for the best.

Firecrackers are sounding like a more feasible solution to this request

Edit: I looked around a bit, and discovered a message board recounting a book written in which the author had tested the behavior of ammunition exposed to flame.  In most cases, the primers would not cause the round to detonate, but rather to vent out the back of the cap.

Edited by emuthreat
Primer cookoff info
  • Like 2

Well, I don't know about heat resistant as some machine guns are prone to runaways, but that might be the barrel getting so hot and igniting the powder rather than the primers.  A mousetrap could be used to fire off a round (poorman's claymore) but that would still be something you couldn't just throw like a grenade.  Yeah I think fireworks would probably be the better idea.

• Like 2