Mitchell Lauford

Natural dynamic indoor and outdoors sound

So, I've been playing DayZ for a long time now and I have to say, besides the various bugs, the thing that annoys me the most is the sound. There are a few outdoor sounds that are all the same and going indoors does not change it whatsoever. I'd love for people to ignite a discussion and maybe it will reach the devs. Entering a building should definitely affect the sound from inside the building to out. But not only that, the vanilla sounds are just outdated in the first place. They sound very distorted and do not change in any situations besides weather, and even that doesn't really affect the outdoor environment. Please consider what I have to say! 

23 minutes ago, Mitchell Lauford said:

So, I've been playing DayZ for a long time now and I have to say, besides the various bugs, the thing that annoys me the most is the sound. There are a few outdoor sounds that are all the same and going indoors does not change it whatsoever. I'd love for people to ignite a discussion and maybe it will reach the devs. Entering a building should definitely affect the sound from inside the building to out. But not only that, the vanilla sounds are just outdated in the first place. They sound very distorted and do not change in any situations besides weather, and even that doesn't really affect the outdoor environment. Please consider what I have to say! 

They sound system is a work in progress at this point, .61 introduced the first steps of what will be the final gunshot sound system and works very well. Read that little blurb when you start the game before clicking "I agree".

That's just for gunshots though, I'm talking about indoor sound absorption. And the gunshots are already pretty good in my opinion. It's just one of those systems that could make the game incredibly dynamic for gameplay. I can hear footsteps from across the street in the upper floor and it's unfair to other players. 

They obviously plan on expanding on the sound update they did for guns but this is a matter for the programming team and they're currently extremely busy on preparing for .63 and the new player controller etc.

I do however wish we heard more from the actual sound guy (forgot his name) that they hired (in 2015?) of any recent field recordings of environments or any samples he has ready for when they decide to update them.

6 hours ago, DannyDog said:

They obviously plan on expanding on the sound update they did for guns but this is a matter for the programming team and they're currently extremely busy on preparing for .63 and the new player controller etc.

I do however wish we heard more from the actual sound guy (forgot his name) that they hired (in 2015?) of any recent field recordings of environments or any samples he has ready for when they decide to update them.

Yeah that'd be great to at least see some progress. I do see this as being a game feature that could really help make the world feel more immersive 

Do you mean for example:

Wind ambience heard outdoors but not indoors? Or a muffle effect to all sounds happening outdoors with a decibel decrease as well?