Sign in to follow this  
mithrawndo

Leaked Server Files & Unofficial Servers

Since 0.61 I've seen an increase in posts over on Reddit talking about and linking unofficially hosted servers and it's starting to give me some concern. Player numbers haven't hit the peaks they did for previous new builds and I wonder if these unofficial servers are exacerbating that problem, taking players out of the official pool as they (presumably? I've not and won't test myself) use non battleye/steam clients to connect to these servers and thus don't count towards the player totals.

There's a saying about "closing the stable door after the horse has bolted" that perhaps applies here? With the latest server files already out in the wild illicitly and leaked server hosts able to offer more functionality and control than officially hosted servers, is it perhaps time to open the discussion about when server files will be made available to those who operate within the rules?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Moderators: I understand this discussion is skating on thin ice. If I've overstepped the bounds I'd appreciate if you'd advise how I can continue this discussion without actually breaching the rules or exacerbating the problem myself!

Edited by mithrawndo

Well we have no support, neither do they for server hosting of any kind. If players play there and it causes issues with stable or unstable BE may or may not detect those, and they maybe banned incorrectly.

If people cant wait for hosting, it means they cant afford it so they try to emulate the server files. Its rather dull to be connecting to a private server like that.

We are suppose to report bad servers, but this is the scope that BI has to deal with until the real hosting is available. When there is a will, there is a way.

Are they Russian hosted?

3 hours ago, sneakydude said:

snip

I haven't checked out any of the servers myself and so I couldn't say where they're hosted, just that they're not visible via the in-game browser. A country with relatively relaxed copyright laws like Russia seems a fair bet.

What worries me isn't the financial element, it's that these illicit servers are able to modify their config files and offer varied DayZ experiences; for example spawning characters in to different places with different starting equipment, can alter the spawn rates of infected and animals and... well, change anything they like about it that's currently implemented. Legitimate server owners are actually at a disadvantage compared to the illegitimate ones when it comes to providing the experience their playerbase wants - whether that's a deathmatch or extreme survival experience.

If you have any information (which you do not) then you should submit a report on the bug tracker or PM Baty Alquawen on these Forums.

The Forum Rules and Guidelines are quite clear on the subject concerning hacks/hacking and / or exploits.

https://forums.dayz.com/guidelines/

If you believe that Bohemia Interactive / DayZ development are unaware or ignorant of such situations, then you are mistaken.
Idle chitchat is not acceptable.

Thank you.

• Like 1