jdotjdot7

Banned for "NightCrawling" ?

Problem is' date=' he disconnected to avoid PVP.

His whole 'I didn't want to run out into five other people so I got off' isn't permitted.

Now if he logged out after the kills, shaking and freaked out, needing a break, then I would consider unbanning him if he was on my server.

But no, he did it deliberately to avoid combat. This is more of a confession than a ban appeal.

[/quote']

What PVP? You have no idea if anyone else was around. He killed 2 people and then logged out. I don't see an issue with it. Now if he was taking fire all of a sudden and then logged out I would agree with you but he wasn't. With your way of thinking you should never be able to log out since you are always in pvp mode..

I bet you think its cool that server owners who have some of the best gear can camp places where noobs go to get gear just so that they may advance in the game too eh?

So what do you propose the people who own the server do? Go sit in the woods and sing songs? Wtf does them being a server owner have to do with anything anyway. They die and start over just like everyone else. Are you trying to fault them for playing in the server that they pay for? Because your logic right now is pretty sparse.

Problem is' date=' he disconnected to avoid PVP.

His whole 'I didn't want to run out into five other people so I got off' isn't permitted.

Now if he logged out after the kills, shaking and freaked out, needing a break, then I would consider unbanning him if he was on my server.

But no, he did it deliberately to avoid combat. This is more of a confession than a ban appeal.

[/quote']

I'm going to try to remember to never go to one of your servers. Scum.

I'm going to try to remember to never go to one of your servers. Scum.

I was thinking of the opposite: Joining just to perform a one time pk disconnect troll.

' pid='243012' dateline='1341367255']

I bet you think its cool that server owners who have some of the best gear can camp places where noobs go to get gear just so that they may advance in the game too eh?

So what do you propose the people who own the server do? Go sit in the woods and sing songs? Wtf does them being a server owner have to do with anything anyway. They die and start over just like everyone else. Are you trying to fault them for playing in the server that they pay for? Because your logic right now is pretty sparse.

Im saying im doing what it takes to at least have a chance against larger groups, especially as a solo player, so you can shove it.

This thread shouldn't exist here, you sparked a pointless argument on the most annoying mechanic in the game. For all those defending the ban: I'm sorry, regardless of your thoughts on the subject and contrary to what so many imply and seem to do: hosting a server does not give you the right to make your own rules.

We donate servers to the mod, we don't control how the game is played. This was made perfectly clear in every sticky in the Server General forum. Rocket has made it clear what he considers bannable offenses and DCWars ain't one, banning a player for DCing in a gunfight is grey area enough, or so we'd like to think.

Appeal to your ban, you will get unbanned and serve a warning to a possible butthurt admin (can't judge him over a severely one-sided story).

Shame on him for leaving because he was worried their were more people. That's a real puss way to go about it. Most people probably do the same which removes from the immersion. "I killed someone' date=' oh shit there might be more!" logout.... should have gone like "I killed someone, oh is their more? Oh shit better hide and sneak about to get out unscathed!"

[/quote']

This is a game, he can leave when he wants to (he didn't leave in the middle of the fight, so you can't cry about exploits being used).

Unless you're the one who bought his computer and pays his bills, then i'm really sorry.

First off, think before you write a response, never said anything about exploits or that such, so stfu and think before you write shit like that.

Twin might not have said anything about him exploiting but he holds him in the same esteem as someone who has obviously exploited disconnecting to avoid dying. I don't see much difference in his response from someone who has called him an exploiter.

Also, the arguing Here is also about what he said his reason was for disconnecting. If banning for DC was official, the facts are he killed someone then disconnected. The fight is over the details of why he DC which doesn't matter. It could be oh, I am scared to die. Don't want to fight someone again or Well, that was fun. I'm a boss! Time to disconnect and be a BOSS in real life! The exact same thing happens in both cases.

I'm on the little guy's side.

He disconnected to avoid a fight. He admits it in a later post. He knew there was a large group in the area and he doesn't think it's fair for bandit groups to camp a rare loot area, so instead of trying to escape to a safe location, he disconnected. This is an exploit and is something that will be fixed in the future. That so many people find this acceptable shows how widespread this problem really is.

However, I don't think you can ban someone for this. It's an exploit, cowardly, and Rocket is firmly against it, but you can't ban him.

OP - If you want to get through the NWAF unscathed, join an underpopulated server so you have a better chance. Don't cheat then complain when someone bans you from one of hundreds of servers.

I didn't read this entire thread because it seemed to be a lot of bickering and thus this post will probably get over looked, BUT from what I understand these are the rules hosts must go by.

- Their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like.

- Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted, but if abused is grounds for blacklisting

1. OP cheats

2. OP complains about getting banned for it

3. Some people actually side with him

What has happened to this game...

Hey guys, the point of this thread was OP wondering what "NightCrawling" is. He wasn't appealing a ban.

Hey guys' date=' the point of this thread was OP wondering what "NightCrawling" is. He wasn't appealing a ban.

[/quote']

Good point.

OP: I've never heard the term "NightCrawling", but I'd suggest it's pretty clear:

Night Crawler is an X-Man that vanishes sudden and re-appears somewhere else. IE: Bamph! Now I'm on the roof... Or in your case, Bamph! Now I'm on another server.

You disconnected to avoid combat. In other words, you acted like the X-man Night Crawler and vanished suddenly to appear elsewhere. Maybe the Admin thinks you disconned and reconned to get behind someone, maybe they just use the term in a more general fashion for someone who gets into combat and vanishes... Either way, I'd suggest that's where the heart of the term comes from.

I guess its really obvious when you just think about it. In xmen2 nightcrawler appeared outa nowhere, kicked ass, and vanished at will.

That's obviously that server admin's opinion of jdotjdot7.

EDIT: Damnit you beat me to it.

Disconnecting because you think people are in the area != exploit.

Disconnecting in mid gunfight to avoid death = exploit.

Questions?

Questions?

Yes, I had some follow ups. ;)

Disconnecting because you see a person following you = ?

Disconnecting because you see a sniper aiming for you =?

Disconnecting because you shot a guy and saw his two buddies a second ago = ?

Disconnecting because you shot a guy and are sure his friends are comming = ?

Disconnecting because you got cornered, but no bullets have been shot yet = ?

In other words, avoiding combat, be it mid fight, just before the fight begins, or killing one guy and then vanishing before his friends round the corner is all the same stuff. It's logging out because you're about to be killed. It shouldn't matter if you log out after the first shot misses you by an inch or before the guy gets a bead on you, or before he closes to range to use his weapon... If the OP had fled into the hills for 5 mins, been sure that he got away scott free and given the (existing or not) other players a chance to find the shooter/follow the sound of gunshots, he wouldn't be asking what "Nightcrawling" is or why he's a cheater right now. ;)

Y'know, this topic really sparks a big debate:

When does combat actually start? Is it when a round is fired? Is it when someone has their sights on you? Is it when someone's in your area?

As far as I can tell, OP was in all his right to disconnect if combat starts when a round is fired. From what I've read, he killed his assailants, then D/C'd before he was shot at again.

Were there guns trailed on him? Well, I nor he can answer that. We'd just have to ask those who were there, if there were any there.

Were there people in the area? Well, according to the OP, he thought there were people there. If thought can initiate combat, then I suppose I haven't left combat since I became a bandit. Unless those who were there come forward, we'll never know the truth. It could've just been those two guys, it could've been a whole fucking armada.

As it stands, though, OP did not disconnect during combat, according to all evidence collected.

He disconnected to avoid a fight. He admits it in a later post. He knew there was a large group in the area and he doesn't think it's fair for bandit groups to camp a rare loot area' date=' so instead of trying to escape to a safe location, he disconnected. This is an exploit and is something that will be fixed in the future. That so many people find this acceptable shows how widespread this problem really is.

However, I don't think you can ban someone for this. It's an exploit, cowardly, and Rocket is firmly against it, but you can't ban him.

OP - If you want to get through the NWAF unscathed, join an underpopulated server so you have a better chance. Don't cheat then complain when someone bans you from one of hundreds of servers.

[/quote']

He never said there was a group around. He was just scared of the possibility. He didn't disconnect to avoid a fight. He completed a not one, but two fights and then quit. I don't see anything wrong with that.

in this game you are always in a state of "is anyone else looking at me through a scope right now".

now being a grey area already, should he of DC'ed, no probably not. however he was not in combat, period.

DayZ rules for banning are crystal clear. right or wrong on this DC case, the admin is in the wrong here.

Disconnecting and reconnecting with the purpose of losing zombies or avoiding a firefight almost definitely. Nightcrawler is one of the X-Men who's power is teleportation. Nightcrawlering is therefore most likely using connecting and disconnecting from two or more servers to effectively produce that effect.

Likely the guy you killed was playing with the admin or something, he went to avenge his buddy and you had magically disappeared.

"1. Nightcrawling 15 up, 4 down

The art of crawling at 4am, blacked-out drunk, through a sea of drunk passed out people.

As the Urban dictionary describes it... "

I like this.

Never been banned for it, or arrested.

Hmm' date=' nightcrawling you say...

Where have I heard that before?

Oh,

!

Came to post this

Questions?

Yes' date=' I had some follow ups. ;)

Disconnecting because you see a person following you = ?

Disconnecting because you see a sniper aiming for you =?

Disconnecting because you shot a guy and saw his two buddies a second ago = ?

Disconnecting because you shot a guy and are sure his friends are comming = ?

Disconnecting because you got cornered, but no bullets have been shot yet = ?

In other words, avoiding combat, be it mid fight, just before the fight begins, or killing one guy and then vanishing before his friends round the corner is all the same stuff. It's logging out because you're about to be killed. It shouldn't matter if you log out after the first shot misses you by an inch or before the guy gets a bead on you, or before he closes to range to use his weapon... If the OP had fled into the hills for 5 mins, been sure that he got away scott free and given the (existing or not) other players a chance to find the shooter/follow the sound of gunshots, he wouldn't be asking what "Nightcrawling" is or why he's a cheater right now. ;)

[/quote']

How about you just ban yourself from DayZ, since more than likely you've disconnected within distance of someone who may have shot you if they'd seen you.

omg guys seriously... He was not in a fight.. He said the guy that shot him was dead.

You can't force people to stay in the game! Some people even want ridiculous 10min dc timer and stuff which can't be possible! There are people in this game that have real lives!!! They work! They study! Some have wife and kids!!!! Wtf seriously!?!?!?!?

Not everyone are full time gamers that still lives in their parents house and all they do is play games and scratch their balls like all of you complaining about dc!

SMFH F**************K

Yeah, doesn't sound like he did anything wrong. Being afraid of getting capped and then logging off isn't against the rules. Technically, even encountering someone and logging off before anyone fires any shots is still perfectly legal.

As soon as someone fires a shot, THEN you are breaking rules if you log off to avoid the confrontation.

Usually when people log off to avoid conflict, they would log on to another server basically straight away, he said he came back later.... to the same server even.

I was playing the other day and had spent ages finding my way after being lost. I had JUST spotted a dirt road, and it was late, so after several hours of running around, I thought I would log off for the night. I go prone between some trees, and I hear a shot. I logged off. Should I have stayed logged in JUST because I heard a shot? I had other stuff to do in real life, there's no way I'm going to stay in game just because someone fired, that's retarded lol.

omg guys seriously... He was not in a fight.. He said the guy that shot him was dead.

You can't force people to stay in the game! Some people even want ridiculous 10min dc timer and stuff which can't be possible! There are people in this game that have real lives!!! They work! They study! Some have wife and kids!!!! Wtf seriously!?!?!?!?

Not everyone are full time gamers that still lives in their parents house and all they do is play games and scratch their balls like all of you complaining about dc!

SMFH F**************K

The fact that you think full time gamers live in their parents house says a lot about your state of mind. There are plenty of gamers that live normal lives work full time jobs and have a social life.

DayZ requires time commitment, everyone that plays this game knows that. If it didn't the game would track Hours alive not Days alive. If you don't have the time to play for a hour or two straight then DayZ isn't something you want to play right then, boot up something else fun simple that'll fill the void. If you are going to play DayZ you know you need time to spare because lets face it, this shit aint a quicky. DCing after fighting someone because you got shit to do is less then likely. People DC out of fear of death right then.

We can all agree that before we DC in DayZ we set up a simple objective before doing so.

Example of someone getting ready to DC:

1. I'm gonna finish raiding this town head into the woods and DC for the night.

2. I'm gonna make it over this treeline to Berezino and DC in the safest spot.

Example of someone DCing out of fear:

1. Oh fuck TIME TO CALL IT QUITS!

2/. Oh fuck I might die! Time to call it quits!

People that do the latter often spawn in in dangerous places and most likely die either immediately after getting back on, why? Because they DCed in the heat of things and people usually DC like that in a high traffic area.

TL;DR - I'm drunk, canadian whiskey is the best.