Sign in to follow this  
zglina

AKM recoil and slowing down players

1# Can someone explain me why AKM has so big recoil with so little DMG? It is ridiculous how big that Recoil is. I completely don't understand that design decision, making game harder not for some purpose but just to make it harder.(I can guess you want to balance somehow game that is not whole game but because of that DayZ is frustrating in things that should not frustrate you, and when gun with not that big caliber(//dmg) has recoil like that...it is frustrating when some weapons are that broken).

AKM recoil should be a lot smaller compared to what it is now.

and if you want to imitate real world(hope not) than it is wrong too. 

btw. i was shooting from prone position ...

2# People should at least get slowed down when they get shot from any bullet.(hope it will come in new animation system). Because when you shoot the guy and he still runs like a uganda sprinter and then he runs to you and kill you then something is wrong. And i don't have problem with aiming (i have LEM rank in CSGO, one of the most shooting challenging game is nothing comparable to DayZ with its recoil and stuff). Can't wait for stamina btw.

I really love DayZ as a game project and i always try to explain its development to other people but sometimes you accept so irrational game design decision(talking about AKM recoil, there is no way that someone would not think about nerfing that ridiculous player sprint) that i can't even explain them(and i am game design freak). Can someone at least tell us purpose making these weapons like AKM so ridiculous hard to handle? I hope there is logic behind it, because that is how it should be. I by myself can't see it.

Love you, zglina

PS: Very eager to get this explained/hoping to learn somethign new about game design. Cheers.

Edited by zglina

she's using a stance that would negate a lot of recoil and she is wearing a mil outfit so i assume she is trained. I think that we are supposed to be untrained civilians hence some of the recoil on the guns atleast that's been my explanation to myself. i also figure they haven't balanced things much yet I wouldn't consider anything final until they say it's complete.

And when and if they add a stamina/weight system folks will slow down I think they have even said that the reason we run so fast is because vehicles aren't fully in and working correctly which makes sense as a lot of folks bitch about it being a walking/running simulator if they slowed the toons down folks would complain. we just have to wait and see I think all the things you have issues with will be fixed or resolved with future changes. 

Wow that girl can shoot :)

About AKM, yes...it has some silly recoil atm. Some patches ago it was different. Much less recoil. Guessing it will be adressed when they get around to it.

DayZ ftw ;)

7 hours ago, gannon46 said:

she's using a stance that would negate a lot of recoil and she is wearing a mil outfit so i assume she is trained. I think that we are supposed to be untrained civilians hence some of the recoil on the guns atleast that's been my explanation to myself. i also figure they haven't balanced things much yet I wouldn't consider anything final until they say it's complete.

Did you ever shoot from any gun? I shoot from time to time, i was once shooting old good AK-47 and it had less recoil than AKM in DayZ. And AKM is better version of AK-47... 

" I think that we are supposed to be untrained civilians " I dont think so. I don't know many untrained civilians that can that quickly reload guns like we can right now.

Most of other guns are normal. So it is not "untrained civilians". Blaze is much stronger gun(dmg) and it has still less recoil than AKM(please do not change win recoil , it is ok).
Do not defend bad design decision. instead point them out so they could see them and fix it.

Edited by zglina

22 hours ago, zglina said:

and if you want to imitate real world(hope not)

Say what?

23 hours ago, zglina said:

It is ridiculous how big that Recoil is.

This is 0.59 and it hasn't changed since. The distance, ~20 m.

What are you used to? Do you think this is a more appropriate recoil? (fyi, it's not) Distance in this case, ~26 m.

23 hours ago, zglina said:

I hope there is logic behind it, because that is how it should be [. . .] Blaze is much stronger gun(dmg) and it has still less recoil than AKM(please do not change win recoil , it is ok).

There probably isn't much behind this because for the most part they haven't got around to fixing and tuning most weapon stats. They have more important things to do.

• Like 2

The girl in that video was using 0 recoil hack. For real though I think that lots of recoil reduction should be in the player's hands with small movements of the mouse. One of the biggest reasons I like the combat in this game is that most of the *skill* is left up to the player, and not perks or leveling making the game easier automatically. However I will agree that the AKM's natural recoil seems a bit wild at the moment.

I don't think being hit with a bullet should slow players down. Most games I've played that implement similar systems just make it seem like you're walking through gravy whenever you get hit, and it's infuriating. The running speed will be reduced dramatically once vehicles come out, so I think that will go a long way for balancing player speed vs. gunfire.

I do not have any problem with other guns but AKM recoil is bad as shit. Every other gun is good but AKM recoil is a little too much.

for example M4 recoil is ok, ak74 ok, ak101 ok, any other gun is ok. but AKM is weird as shit and they changed it in 0.59 and since than that recoil is shit.

Edited by zglina

7 hours ago, zglina said:

for example M4 recoil is ok, ak74 ok, ak101 ok, any other gun is ok. 

Those rifles are all .22 caliber. They will of course have much less recoil than the 7.62x39 AKM.

AK74M vs AKM:
Recoil impulse = 4.8 vs 7.6 kg m/s
Recoil velocity = 1.2 vs 1.9 m/s
Recoil energy = 3.0 vs 7.2 J

The in-game recoils for AK74/AK101 and AKM are the same pattern with different multipliers. Here's a chart of recoil angle vs time:
TFALYzx.png

And here is a comparison test (0.59):

"the same pattern " is not equal to the same recoil.

74 recoil is lower, but i dont know why AKM has such big recoil, fuck even winchester is easier to handle. Almost every weapon(not talking about some .22 guns) right now is more effective gun than AKM right now.
AKM recoil is too big for its damage. And i am not the only one complaining about it, look at google. I mostly do not complain about anything in DayZ because i understand they will fix it with time and that 2-3 years adn DayZ will be done, i can wait.
But why they cant fix AKM right now i do not understand.

Edited by zglina