Tigermonk

defending yourself

I was just running around with this idea in my head... 
we all know how a well placed punch.. knocks you out in 1 strike.. 

but if we're getting new player controls/mechanics and all of that wonderfulness in patch 0.85.4
shouldn't there be a button or slight chance of 'blocking' an attack or strike.. I'm not talking about somebody swinging an axe at you.. 
but just the unarmed noob that tries to ONE shot you to the face.. for your gear..
so being able to 'block' an attack (5% chance or something small) gives you a better fight in the long run imo

Idea 1 - blocking player hand to hand striking attacks

even though punches knock normal players out.. zombies can take a MASSIVE amount of abuse before they go down
3 swings with a baseball bat or 1-2 with a spiked baseball bat.. as we've all prob. seen TWD (The Walking Dead) 
the first 3 episodes they run off scared at the SIGHT of 1 zombie..

10 episodes in they'll casually walk up to a zombie, grab it by the throat, push it against a wall and stab it in the head.
that's obviously ever going to work in dayz.. but what about a thrust/front kick or if you have a rifle on you.. a stock strike to the face
to keep them off you for a second or 2 so you can gain some distance on them if there are 5 of them.. (shoot 2, kick 1, rifle strike to the face on 1 run like hell)

Idea 2 - stock strike

Idea 3 - thrust/front kick

<thrust kick>

I know that punching was added in.. so why wouldn't a kick be a part of the mechanics in later patches?
it would make for some good 'ol fashion mayhem control if zeds are coming at you in force.. plus if zeds also get collision effects, you could kick one to the ground or backwards into other zeds staggering them/making them stumble or fall.

this however with stamina becoming a thing.. should also drain your stamina with lets say 10-15% so keeping an eye on that is going to be another thing to worry about.

let me know what ya'll think about these ideas

cheers,

tigermonk/Max Coldern

Edited by Tigermonk
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2016 at 10:19 AM, Tigermonk said:

I was just running around with this idea in my head... 
we all know how a well placed punch.. knocks you out in 1 strike.. 

but if we're getting new player controls/mechanics and all of that wonderfulness in patch 0.85.4
shouldn't there be a button or slight chance of 'blocking' an attack or strike.. I'm not talking about somebody swinging an axe at you.. 
but just the unarmed noob that tries to ONE shot you to the face.. for your gear..
so being able to 'block' an attack (5% chance or something small) gives you a better fight in the long run imo

Idea 1 - blocking player hand to hand striking attacks

even though punches knock normal players out.. zombies can take a MASSIVE amount of abuse before they go down
3 swings with a baseball bat or 1-2 with a spiked baseball bat.. as we've all prob. seen TWD (The Walking Dead) 
the first 3 episodes they run off scared at the SIGHT of 1 zombie..

10 episodes in they'll casually walk up to a zombie, grab it by the throat, push it against a wall and stab it in the head.
that's obviously ever going to work in dayz.. but what about a thrust/front kick or if you have a rifle on you.. a stock strike to the face
to keep them off you for a second or 2 so you can gain some distance on them if there are 5 of them.. (shoot 2, kick 1, rifle strike to the face on 1 run like hell)

Idea 2 - stock strike

Idea 3 - thrust/front kick

<thrust kick>

I know that punching was added in.. so why wouldn't a kick be a part of the mechanics in later patches?
it would make for some good 'ol fashion mayhem control if zeds are coming at you in force.. plus if zeds also get collision effects, you could kick one to the ground or backwards into other zeds staggering them/making them stumble or fall.

this however with stamina becoming a thing.. should also drain your stamina with lets say 10-15% so keeping an eye on that is going to be another thing to worry about.

let me know what ya'll think about these ideas

cheers,

tigermonk/Max Coldern

Kicking, bayonet stabbing, and much more is confirmed to come with the player controller.

• Like 1

A shove would be nice, like in Left 4 Dead - though not as powerful of course.

A simple solution to the one-punch thing is just to nerf fists. They're stupidly powerful. Hell, I've seen healthy players killed with a single punch to the head - fists are more powerful than a crowbar, it seems. That doesn't seem right at all.

2 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

A shove would be nice, like in Left 4 Dead - though not as powerful of course.

A simple solution to the one-punch thing is just to nerf fists. They're stupidly powerful. Hell, I've seen healthy players killed with a single punch to the head - fists are more powerful than a crowbar, it seems. That doesn't seem right at all.

They are fairly weak in outright damage, but they have a high shock value against the head. Combine with easy aim, fast repeat attacks and no blocking ability...