Sign in to follow this  
Jscaff

Hit registry

I just want to ask if this will be fixed, i shot a guy with my AKS close range while he was looting a body ended up wasting my whole mag on him and he didnt even get hit once, there is no point playing if this will not be fixed, its just so fustrating

4 hours ago, Jscaff said:

I just want to ask if this will be fixed, i shot a guy with my AKS close range while he was looting a body ended up wasting my whole mag on him and he didnt even get hit once, there is no point playing if this will not be fixed, its just so fustrating

That's why it is called "Spray and Pray" - you have to pray or you miss and wast a whole mag.
Try going for "short bursts" and also check out "aiming while you panic" - it is a good thing to practice. Someone should write a book about it.

I'll BET you were in third person, right ?
The guy is at close range, he's looting, he's not moving. Look down your sights, aim at the head, fire two shots. Aim each time.

Go find a tree, hold the gun at your hip and aim at the tree.
Now without moving around, lift the gun to your face, see where the point of aim is now.
Not the same place.

xx Enjoy

[edit]  This is not a FPS shooter Crysis-style, where anything the screen crosshair is on at any distance you will exactly hit  - (no insult intended, Jscaff) -  the DayZ on-screen "targeting aid" is only a helper - there is a difference firing from the hip because you are holding the gun low on one side of your body, compared to firing over the sights. So the difference in aim point is horizontal too (off to one side) as well as vertical. You learn this (by practice?) and get used to it.  I'm not too great at firing from the hip but some players are deadly hot snapshooters. There is also bullet drop and weapon accuracy built into the game. The "targeting aid" you see on screen has been tweaked a couple of times, too. Check the forums and you'll find the debates about it.

ps - my advice (but it's just mine, others will say different) - In normal play, keep your sight adjustment screwed down to 50m - because about 100% of firefights take place inside that range. If you play with your sights set at 200m the bullets will go right over the head of a guy who pops up at 20-30m. This stuff is deliberately designed in the game for better realism. Some players like it less than others, 

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1

Ok what you said is all good, just to rephrase a whole mag in him, I did short burst at the start aiming down the sights i was only 10 m away i normally kill people easy when theres no desync or lag, after i did short bursts he was running and normally i still hit people when there running, but alot of times it has to do with somthing not registering, i dont know if its because the game is in early access or what not but at that close range and me aiming right at his neck/head should kill

You said, "i normally kill people easy when theres no desync or lag"  &  "normally i still hit people when there running".  I think this suggests there isn't a problem with the hit box but instead maybe the gods of lag were shinning on him that day.  I take it you didn't die in that encounter? Were you able to pursue and finish or was the element of surprise your only advantage?

I shot a guy six times with a shotgun point blank y-day before he dropped. You dont see me complaining. Its lag, desync, whatever you call it. The game isn't finished so this behaviour can be expected.

Oh. I thought this was going to be a thread about people the mob have killed.

See 

I shot a guy twice in the chest at point blank with a Winchester and he was fine. I think sometimes it's just a bit screwy. In my case the guy just bled a little.

@Rags! "Enfusiastic about 0.60" I see what you did there.

8 hours ago, Killawife said:

I shot a guy six times with a shotgun point blank y-day before he dropped. You dont see me complaining. Its lag, desync, whatever you call it. The game isn't finished so this behaviour can be expected.

Shotguns are a little strange in DayZ.

4 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

I shot a guy twice in the chest at point blank with a Winchester and he was fine. I think sometimes it's just a bit screwy. In my case the guy just bled a little.

@Rags! "Enfusiastic about 0.60" I see what you did there.

If it makes you feel any better, I had someone take a weapon out my hands yesterday. Thankfully he was just as confused as I was, and it gave me time to "retrieve" it.

12 hours ago, [DGN] Johnny said:

If it makes you feel any better, I had someone take a weapon out my hands yesterday. Thankfully he was just as confused as I was, and it gave me time to "retrieve" it.

Hah, I wish I had such luck. That's very gentlemanly. Nah, in my case both my friend and I died in an excellent example of why you should always shoot first rather than give some shifty bastards the benefit of the doubt. It was actually kind of hilarious. We're in Zelenogorsk and spot these guys 'stealthily' creeping towards us. Instead of shooting them we keep our distance, but it quickly becomes apparent that they're not friendly, and they shoot first. We traded fire and ran away from each other. My buddy and I got split up. I go into a shed, bleeding, when I see my mate run by "you just ran past me, I'm right here" he doesn't see me "you practically just looked at me" he still doesn't see me, so I bandage. My mate runs in and starts trying to punch me out "why are you..." oh. No, turns out it was one of the guys who tried to kill us, only he was wearing the exact same clothes as my mate. I shoot him twice with my Winchester, he runs away. Tragically, my mate did finally spot 'me' behind him, which is exactly where I said I was. "That's not me!" too late. By this point I know there's at least two of them, but one of them has no ammo. I try to save my mate but he dies as I get out into the street, I shoot one of them again and they scatter. I move to a better position as I take more fire. I know my mate had an SKS so I wanted to deny the unarmed guy that advantage. I try to flank round to my mate's body to grab the SKS, but it's not on his body any more. Sure enough, SKS fire is spammed out of a side alley and I die. Basically everything, including how bad we are at the game, conspired against us. We, or I, would probably have been fine if two point-blank Winchester shots to the chest had proved lethal - It may even have been three shots as I'm not sure which one I hit in the street. That's DayZ.

• Like 2