Sign in to follow this  
Blackie4

Headbutt while handcuffed

I was watching some videos that had some players handcuffed in them. And i noticed some people would stand right beside the handcuffed person with no fear, because the handcuff person, well he can't do anything.

I thought it would be a cool feature if the handcuffed person could perform a headbutt to his enemy if he stands too close to him. Maybe go unconscious for a really short peroid of time, like 4-6 seconds ? Enough time for the captive to simply lose sight.

There could be some factors. Like there would be a chance to knock him unconscious. And the enemy would only fall if he doesn't have a helmet or is very low on blood.

Just a thought! What do you guys think ?

• Like 1

While this makes sense from a "You could do this in real life so you should be able to do it in a game with realistic elements" standpoint, the whole point of handcuffing a person is to incapacitate them. If somebody is still dangerous while handcuffed, then there is a serious possibility that people will simply stop handcuffing you and just kill you. By making yourself dangerous while handcuffed, lots of people will consider handcuffing much less useful and will take much more drastic measure to ensure you are incapacitated. Perhaps permanently.

• Like 3

To be honest here, even if it were to be added, it wouldn't do much damage. Smashing your forehead into someone is A) Going to hurt like a motherfucker (Have you tried headbutting someone, really and truly?) and B) Extremely impractical. You're just going to be smashing your own head into someone else's, and they'll what? Be even more ticked at you than before. Barely anyone would drop unconscious from that, and if you put enough force to drop them, why aren't you going to?

18 hours ago, Zyriun said:

..//..even if it were to be added, it wouldn't do much damage
(Have you tried headbutting someone, really and truly?)

.//..

Headbutting is an effective and extremely useful technique. It is outlawed from nearly all contact sports because it really works and it can do serious damage (to the other guy or to yourself).

.. don't try it at home, kids..

boom like this - you gonna enup lookin Tooo Ugly - problem!

xx

Edited by pilgrim*

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

-snip-

IMPORTANT: in order for a headbutt to be actually effective, you have to "do it right". Hit them in the right place in their head, with the right place on your head. If you don't do both, you are either 1) not going to do all that much to them, or (AND) 2) fuck yourself up.

-To be entirely honest, with the plethora of ammunition available ( GUNS FOR THE GUN GOD, BULLETS FOR THE BULLET THRONE!), I have already stopped bothering to actually, you know, "hold up" people. I get them to get down on the ground, then I put a bullet into their head. 

If bullets were rarer, then I wouldn't do it. But, until then, I don't have any reason to actually handcuff people, asides from RP...... which 9999.9999% of the playerbase steadily refuses to comply with. They either charge me, or something else stupid. Nobody in Day Z behaves realistically

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Headbutting is an effective and extremely useful technique. It is outlawed from nearly all contact sports because it really works and it can do serious damage (to the other guy or to yourself).

.. don't try it at home, kids..

boom like this - you gonna enup lookin Tooo Ugly - problem!

xx

But the thing is how many people are going to know that? The typical person would just end up hurting themselves. Also, the guy who made that video was using his hands as well, but in the situation that Blackie4 presented, you wouldn't be able to use your hands. Important thing to remember is in DayZ you aren't supposed to be some former soldier or anything of the sort, just your average Joe. How to headbutt properly isn't common knowledge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zyriun said:

But the thing is how many people are going to know that? The typical person would just end up hurting themselves. Also, the guy who made that video was using his hands as well, but in the situation that Blackie4 presented, you wouldn't be able to use your hands. Important thing to remember is in DayZ you aren't supposed to be some former soldier or anything of the sort, just your average Joe. How to headbutt properly isn't common knowledge.

Well - In my time i've seen plenty of broken noses on Saturday nights.. so there is something to the headbutt as a technique, I know, and it seems it does NOT require hands ?.. But I'll let the OP and the experts argue it out if you don't mind. There are other youtube discussions and demos, I just thought the one above was interesting and fun. And that's all I know on the subject (sorry)..

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Rags! said:

While this makes sense from a "You could do this in real life so you should be able to do it in a game with realistic elements" standpoint, the whole point of handcuffing a person is to incapacitate them. If somebody is still dangerous while handcuffed, then there is a serious possibility that people will simply stop handcuffing you and just kill you. By making yourself dangerous while handcuffed, lots of people will consider handcuffing much less useful and will take much more drastic measure to ensure you are incapacitated. Perhaps permanently.

You have a point there, since there's no real reason to handcuff and this may turn it off even more. But would be a nice feature just for the realism of things.

19 hours ago, Zyriun said:

To be honest here, even if it were to be added, it wouldn't do much damage. Smashing your forehead into someone is A) Going to hurt like a motherfucker (Have you tried headbutting someone, really and truly?) and B) Extremely impractical. You're just going to be smashing your own head into someone else's, and they'll what? Be even more ticked at you than before. Barely anyone would drop unconscious from that, and if you put enough force to drop them, why aren't you going to?

As Pilgrim said, if it's done right it can knock out people.

3 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

IMPORTANT: in order for a headbutt to be actually effective, you have to "do it right". Hit them in the right place in their head, with the right place on your head. If you don't do both, you are either 1) not going to do all that much to them, or (AND) 2) fuck yourself up.

-To be entirely honest, with the plethora of ammunition available ( GUNS FOR THE GUN GOD, BULLETS FOR THE BULLET THRONE!), I have already stopped bothering to actually, you know, "hold up" people. I get them to get down on the ground, then I put a bullet into their head. 

If bullets were rarer, then I wouldn't do it. But, until then, I don't have any reason to actually handcuff people, asides from RP...... which 9999.9999% of the playerbase steadily refuses to comply with. They either charge me, or something else stupid. Nobody in Day Z behaves realistically

Hence why i said it could be a 50% chance. Or, it can be done only if you aim at the right place, like if you headbutt a guy to his side face it won't work. There are some measures to make it difficult like real life.

As for the waste of ammo, you're right. Just like Rag! said, people tend to not handcuff people because it's not worth it at the moment.

47 minutes ago, Zyriun said:

I've thought about this argument throughtout many games...games don't make sense when it comes to this.

If the DayZ player is just a normal civilian, he would missing a lot of his shots. We think shooting guns is really easy because of all the games we play and movies we see. But in reality, there alot of factors to shooting a gun, and i don't think a normal civilian would handle them. Yet, we spray with automatic rifles like AKs and M4s with no problem. Heck even fist fighting is not as easy as it looks. So lets say the DayZ player is a little more than a just a civilian :)