Sign in to follow this  
Luc Tonnerre

Zombies start moving when players are nearby?!?!

18 hours ago, Luc Tonnerre said:

wh00t??? wet underpants and zeds can smell now?

r u sirius? o_0

Yep 100% guaranteed
Take all your gear off and crawl up behind a couple of zombies
Don't worry if they see you, just stay lying down - they might make attack motions but they don't hurt you as long as you just lie flat with no clothes on
If you are wet it is easier to get closer

Enjoy

• Like 1

Infected being frozen has 100% only been on this patch, none other. We previously had infected that constantly moved even when there was no one near them, which used up server memory (or something to that effect) .58 seen the removal of infected whilst they were being worked on. When .59 came out we got them back, but with the added bonus of them being frozen as a sign that someone is in the area (400-500m range of infected). Glad to see @eugenharton on the case but I'd have thought this would be something the Devs would have been aware of by now.

This should be processing atm but will eventually upload (sorry it's late I couldn't be bothered to render the scene in Vegas for this).

This was shot on the 28/7/2015 and at about the 1:23 mark you can clearly see a frozen zombie. I have other footage showing the same but this was a smaller clip so works for this purpose.

This was during .57 as I believe .58 was released shortly after and .59 several months later.

So yeah, not a new issue but one that has been around for a long time

On 3/29/2016 at 11:31 AM, pilgrim* said:

In a real life Apocalypse - you come over the brow of a hill and look down on a town - you see zombies moving about and you see them closing in on some location in town

you know there's some poor dumb survivor in there who got the zombies excited..

what do you do - go in to help him, or fire a couple of shots to draw the zombies off, or stay away because he's probably a psycho ? Or stay up high in cover to snipe him when he breaks out?

ATM in DayZ you can make those same decisions.

- how is that "magic" ?

:)

Except that this is basically the same as how in the mod you'd come over a hill and see zombies in a town and know that someone was already there. Zombies will not move unless you get within a certain distance of them, it has nothing to do with aggro

Come over a hill, and look at a town. Are the zombies wandering around?

Yes? Someones already there

No? Then no one is in the town

On 29/03/2016 at 7:00 PM, barelyinfected said:

No, the freezing zombies is something that got introduced this patch.

From April 2015 (at least) its been like this

On 31/03/2016 at 11:32 PM, That Guy said:

Infected being frozen has 100% only been on this patch, none other. We previously had infected that constantly moved even when there was no one near them, which used up server memory (or something to that effect) .58 seen the removal of infected whilst they were being worked on. When .59 came out we got them back, but with the added bonus of them being frozen as a sign that someone is in the area (400-500m range of infected). Glad to see @eugenharton on the case but I'd have thought this would be something the Devs would have been aware of by now.

100% not true

I raised the issue back in April 2015 and this was the reply:

Feedback tracker update:

Hello Beav and thank you for the report. This has been implemented to generally improve server performance and for that reason we are not planning to change this anytime soon, however we understand that this indeed can be abused and we will look into possible tweaks which could prevent the abuse. Regards, Geez

On 29/03/2016 at 7:00 PM, barelyinfected said:

No, the freezing zombies is something that got introduced this patch.

Since April 2015 at least

On 03/04/2016 at 6:22 AM, Pandema said:

Come over a hill, and look at a town. Are the zombies wandering around?

Yes? Someones already there

No? Then no one is in the town

Yep - that's EXACTLY how the real zombies act where I come from, that's how we can tell them from normal folk - are they different in your region?
Are you sure the ones you are talking about are actually zombies and not tramps or panhandlers?

Checking for zombie movement means the zombies can smell blood somewhere.. otherwise they just drool
Use a good scope and look, I swear they just stand still and drool until they Smell ya Blood. that's what REAL zombies do. I am an expert.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1

They move if anyone is within 800 meters of them. So if your 1000 out and there dancing around someone is in that area.

43 minutes ago, LoveAffair said:

They move if anyone is within 800 meters of them. So if your 1000 out and there dancing around someone is in that area.

Nah. It's 500m.

100% certain of that. I'd it was 800 or 1000m it'd be far better imo but currently it isn't. 

On 4/5/2016 at 4:16 PM, edoian said:

Since April 2015 at least

Also the 500 meters? Because I would think that I would've seen that earlier.

On 3/31/2016 at 1:44 AM, stinkenheim said:

This should be processing atm but will eventually upload (sorry it's late I couldn't be bothered to render the scene in Vegas for this).

This was shot on the 28/7/2015 and at about the 1:23 mark you can clearly see a frozen zombie. I have other footage showing the same but this was a smaller clip so works for this purpose.

This was during .57 as I believe .58 was released shortly after and .59 several months later.

So yeah, not a new issue but one that has been around for a long time

Thanks for uploading. I guess you're right. I wonder if the range then lessened this patch then, because as I posted above I only noticed it this patch. 

3 minutes ago, barelyinfected said:

Also the 500 meters? Because I would think that I would've seen that earlier.

Yup, been using that knowledge for a year now

• Like 1

On 05/04/2016 at 5:32 PM, stinkenheim said:

Nah. It's 500m.

100% certain of that. I'd it was 800 or 1000m it'd be far better imo but currently it isn't. 

You are correct  I've done many tests with range finders and maps.

You can step in to 499m and they start walking, 501 and they stop (with slight network delay)

Edited by edoian