Sign in to follow this  
emuthreat

Persistence wipe?

It would appear that every camp left on my home server spontaneously, and completely de-spawned sometime yesterday, or possible the day before at sometime after 6pm Pacific.  Vehicles and vehicle inventories were left intact, as were a few wheels that I had set out for efficient collection.  No less than ten camps, of varying ages and states of completion, all appeared to have disappeared simultaneously.  The probability of all of these camps getting hoovered up in some sort of concerted interdimensional heist is just not significant to consider in this case.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?  Does anybody actually use storage at this point of the game?

Edited by emuthreat

i tried in .59 on stable, after i found the items had stuff missing out of it, but many items still in there. I thought maybe someone found the camp, maybe they started glitching out like the svd.

The other main camp got found, it had lots in it. So we left them and never turned back, at storing anything then in barrels.

It was much easier to hide a green barrel then it was to have a tent of any sort. No way of protecting it and no way to stop server hoping from just stealing your items etc.. much like i did in the beginning :)

We had this problem before emu, and had to do a backup restore. Now that its .59 i cant see it being much different.

So you are thinking it may have been a server issue?  I started the topic to see if anyone else has had a similar problem recently.  Admins say that something relating to logs had changed recently.  Really, I just can't stand the idea of playing the game in any meaningful manner without persistence working; it would just be like a really crappy, slightly larger, battlefield mod; and I don't even play the Battlefield games.

• Like 1

Yea, a lot of my barrels, and tents disappeared completely. However, it was because I hadn't moved them what-so-ever since I placed them in December. xD

Stuff disappears within 45 days of not having been picked up. All my 10 barrels on public disappeared without me ever using their contents, but that's okay. I am finally done with both public and 3rd person. All my shit on privates is still there

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

It would appear that every camp left on my home server spontaneously, and completely de-spawned sometime yesterday, or possible the day before at sometime after 6pm Pacific.  Vehicles and vehicle inventories were left intact, as were a few wheels that I had set out for efficient collection.  No less than ten camps, of varying ages and states of completion, all appeared to have disappeared simultaneously.  The probability of all of these camps getting hoovered up in some sort of concerted interdimensional heist is just not significant to consider in this case.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?  Does anybody actually use storage at this point of the game?

I'd like to do a dedicated test on the persistence of containers and if basic interaction or a full replant is necessary at this stage. Probably going to wait until the next wipe however.

We've personally had no major issues with persistence, recently. Without moving barrels or tents (but still interacting with them at least once a week) we've recorded up to 30 days and counting persistence. Items observed are barrels and camping tents. Car tents we've recorded a persistence of no less than 2 weeks with interaction, before we replanted. Military tents up to two weeks before replant. For obvious reasons, being a little more precautionary with the larger storage nodes. As I said though, would love to do a dedicated test.

For science. ^.^

Get back to me in a couple weeks with your results.  Anything short of packing the tent or picking up a barrel will not reset the timer.  I had just stopped a base from disappearing halfway through its 45 day cleanup timer last week.  Made a thread about that, its called "CLEanup."

This was something different, likely a server issue, from what I've been able to gather.  I've been testing persistence every patch since .51.  At least back then, you knew that once a week, you'd lose everything that you couldn't hold on your personal inventory.  The were simpler times--times my granddad would tell me about, over a pack of Pepperidge Farms cookies.

• Like 1

What do you need testing for?

Tents, barrels, protector cases and ammo boxes all last 45 days. In order to reset the 45 day timer, you have to unpack them and move them to a different spot. Pretty sure because I at least checked in on my stuff via inventory and took out some shit before all of it despawned.

Edited by Buakaw

I recall the thread, including the clever title. ;)

It's not a very scientific test atm, just relatives based on old retired camps we no longer use and didn't fully shut down. I'm pretty sure that same thread, mixed with plenty of conflicting comments on the subject, was the inspiration for doing a dedicated test. Just waiting for a proper time to protect the integrity of the results as much as possible. In the meantime doing replant operations on major assets just to be safe. ^.^

Do I use storage? Yes. Currently have about 30 containers on a single private hive I frequent, 18 of which are cases + boxes.

Does it despawn after 45 days? Yes. How do I know? Didn't touch my public stash for over 45 days, except taking out some stuff once in that period.

Must have been a server error of some type.  I'm certain of the 45-day rule, I learned the hard way because I took "directly interact" to mean manipulate inventory or open/close.  This thread is about a complete and instantaneous loss of all camps on the server, regardless of age.  Vehicles, however, remained.  Thus my curiosity about why.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Must have been a server error of some type.  I'm certain of the 45-day rule, I learned the hard way because I took "directly interact" to mean manipulate inventory or open/close.  This thread is about a complete and instantaneous loss of all camps on the server, regardless of age.  Vehicles, however, remained.  Thus my curiosity about why.

Have you asked your GSP if they can investigate what happened with the persistence files? It is possible that something could have gone wrong here since items and vehicles are stored in seperate files.

• Like 2

I'm on that same server... for all of you who think that coming in here (other than the first guy) to remind Emu of all people of the 45 day cleanup- thanks but we're WAY past that. 

One of our main camps had mostly despawned because of the 45 day cleanup... We were under the impression the tents were persistent but the inventory wasn't. Two tents remained... A mega camp Cold had built suffered the same fate even though he was moving inventory items around (but not repacking the tents). This was our lesson so we promptly went around all our camps at that point and meticulously unpacked everything- including tents- and redistributed them. 

As Emu said afterwards... everything vanished in about a 12-24 hour period. 

I'll approach our host provider (Gameservers) and see what they can dig up. Thanks Moss. 

Edited by eno

2 hours ago, SMoss said:

Have you asked your GSP if they can investigate what happened with the persistence files? It is possible that something could have gone wrong here since items and vehicles are stored in seperate files.

Files? or sql?

Emu you brought up a great topic though, persistence has always been an issue. Either GSP, or patches. There has to be a proper process for both. How to correctly deal with persistence.

Sometimes i found we had to restore from backups. This was mainly due to patches by Dayz.

Well good news and a shout out to Gameservers. 

I approached them yesterday about the issue we had as well as an explanation of what Smoss mentioned in this thread. They were pretty quick to get back to us and simply asked what day we wanted to recover from. They explained that they do a backup of their servers every midnight EST. From our assessment it looked like things got wiped between the 28th and 29th... so we requested that midnight. 

Almost immediately, our server was reset to that point and I've since confirmed that at least some of our tents are back. I haven't done the full gamut but I suspect if one set is back then the rest (that weren't wiped because of the 45 day timer) will be back in place again. 

Anyway... thanks to Smoss for the suggestion. If anyone else experiences something like this, I'd recommend a similar course of action.

Edited by eno
  • Like 2