blacktwin0

Before we lose DX9. Playing DayZ on a Chromebook.

I recently installed Windows 10 on my Acer C720 4GB Chromebook using the steps found in /r/chrultrabook. Everything works fairly well and so I decided to test DayZ.

The only thing was that with DayZ you can't/shouldn't run it in Windows Test mode. Test mode is needed for the unsigned Trackpad and Keyboard drivers to work. So I uninstalled the drivers and got out of Test mode to test DayZ. 

Here is the AutoAwesome that Google photos created from my video on my phone. 30s

Here is the longer version of me running and shooting in Kamy and running and axing in Cherno. 3:44

The max FPS was around ~30 with everything on low or disabled. It would dip into single digits here and there. I was able to chop an infected inside Cherno without problem.

Edit: Looks like the Intel Celeron 2955u supports DX11. Here's hoping for gains on this thing with DX11. :)

Edited by blacktwin0
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, LordBlackwolf said:

You may or may not get any gains in fps but if you do it won't be anything significant.

This may just be my mind tricking me just because of hopes, but in the video posted showing of DX11, to me seemed to run quite a bit smoother. This was also in the hype of the announcement, so I could be mistaken.

I could be completely wrong and you could see some pretty huge gains which I hope you do as everyone deserves a chance to play this at a decent performance level.

13 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

I love it when people do these fun kinds of experiments. 

This little laptop is pretty tough. I still need to try the newui before I'm done testing dayz on it. Surprisingly Skyrim on low gets a solid 30 fps. 

I was too excited to capture the performance that I didn't setup my phone with a stand or anything to hold it up. In the Cherno clips I'm holding my phone with my chin. :)[]

Edited by blacktwin0
  • Like 1