Sign in to follow this  
Cavity

Kevlar, other needed items in DayZ.

I feel like they are already making this or just spaced it completely. But Kevlar is a /need/ for DayZ, lets be honest a lot of our characters would prob be alive today if we had some nice bullet-proof Kevlar, but I'm thinking of a Kevlar where you can take 3-4 shots to the chest before going unconscious or dying. I know we have a plater carrier, but the only thing the plate carrier does is save your ass from a 9 mm round or two and that is about it.It even says in the description it'll only save you against a couple of pistols shots, now, this Kevlar would most likely be up at the NWAF, and being as rare as an M4.

Our second thing is more snipers, like the american Barrett .50 caliber, (that would be beast) you did state that in the game there is an american base on the island, so I'd expect there to be this kind of weaponry up at the NWAF for snipers and stuff because it is an american-made base.

Add ur suggestions down below!

The Plate Carrier IS kevlar, your average vest won't take the majority of bullets being shot at you by the PVPers and KOSers.

EDIT also, they are not going to add any .50BMG/12.7 rifles to the game.  NWAF is not an American made base either, it's Soviet/Chenarussian.

Edited by BigMike

What do you think the plate carrier and the press vest are made out of?  You can already some times take close to 3-4 shots with just a t-shirt.

I agree about a .50 cal sniper though, and for that reason actually.  Players are already incredibly tanky.

As a current KOS'er myself, the last thing this game needs are more sniper rifles and scopes. 

• Like 1

I feel like they are already making this or just spaced it completely. But Kevlar is a /need/ for DayZ, lets be honest a lot of our characters would prob be alive today if we had some nice bullet-proof Kevlar, but I'm thinking of a Kevlar where you can take 3-4 shots to the chest before going unconscious or dying. I know we have a plater carrier, but the only thing the plate carrier does is save your ass from a 9 mm round or two and that is about it.It even says in the description it'll only save you against a couple of pistols shots, now, this Kevlar would most likely be up at the NWAF, and being as rare as an M4.

Our second thing is more snipers, like the american Barrett .50 caliber, (that would be beast) you did state that in the game there is an american base on the island, so I'd expect there to be this kind of weaponry up at the NWAF for snipers and stuff because it is an american-made base.

Add ur suggestions down below!

lol 3-4 shots with kevlar, maybe from a small round but otherwise 2-3 shots and it would slow you down bigtime

As a current KOS'er myself, the last thing this game needs are more sniper rifles and scopes. 

Curious why you think that, as long range sniping (500m+) is a shit show right now.  I think the game could use a higher powered, low rate of fire, long ranged rifle.

Edited by Bororm

Curious why you think that, as long range sniping (500m+) is a shit show right now.  I think the game could use a higher powered, low rate of fire, long ranged rifle.

What would that add to the game?

This is Russian Military/Police 'Kora Kulon' body armour. 

KoraKulon-3.jpg

Look familiar?

It's exactly like the Anti-Stab vest. Except less wimpy. 

Why not just change the stats on items that are already in game? Because in my opinion, I think the Anti-Stab vest is the best vest in the game. Not for items, of course, but for looks and practicality. The only thing that could make it better is making it stop low-caliber bullets.

Edited by mullraugh

What would that add to the game?

It would bring back an aspect a lot of players really enjoy, long range sniping.

It would bring back an aspect a lot of players really enjoy, long range sniping.

The more scopes and sniper rifles that DayZ gets, the worse it will become.

• Like 1

If anything, Ballistic vests should "protect" you (meaning: the bullets don't actually penetrate your body) for only a couple of shots. Then, the vest gets compromised and the bullets -derp- right through. Oh, and the force of the impacts? You totally still feel those, and get deep muscle bruising and broken bones.

If I was in a Day Z-like situation, I personally would not waste my time wearing a Ballistics vest. Heavy, hot, and frankly, not nearly as effective as a good piece of cover? No thanks. I've got LBE that can carry just as much "stuff" as the pouches on a Ballistics vest, with 1/3 the weight and almost no insulation value.

Cover and proper positioning is the modern soldiers 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line of defense in a firefight. Body armor is for those "OOPS" moments, not so you can tank rifle rounds to the torso.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

Kevlar would save you if 3-4 people with AK's decided to rush you, spraying.

The more scopes and sniper rifles that DayZ gets, the worse it will become.

You're being awfully vague with all your responses.  If you want to have an actual discussion we can, but otherwise you're not really offering anything.

Edited by Bororm

No. No, it wouldn't.

This is one of the models of ballistics armor used by the US Army. When the plates are inserted, it is equal to NIJ Standard IV protection. When the plates are removed, the level of protection is equal to NIJ level III. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improved_Outer_Tactical_Vest)

Here is a summary of the levels of protection. (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/body-armor1.htm)

NIJ IV protects against "armor-piercing" rifle rounds

NIJ III protects against pistol rounds

It is important to note that, due to the construction of and the material the plates are made of, you pretty much get "one bullet" of protection, as the plates tend to break up when they get shot (note: this is intentional. They break because they are absorbing most of the energy of the blow). So, you get shot in the chest, the plate breaks, and you are shit-outta-luck for the next 29 in the magazine.

Not including that:

• You only get a "couple" of bullets-worth of protection. As above, the plates break when shot. The more they break, the less effective they are, to the point where they basically don't do jack-shit.
  • You still feel the force of the bullets impacting, and impacting+deforming bullets can still harm you. You can read stories about US soldiers opting for armor 3+ sizes larger than what they would normally wear, so when the plates broke and deformed, they would still have "space" in between the broken plate and their body
    • Getting shot, even with body armor, will knock the wind out of you. Hell, depending on how much balance you have, how prepared you are for the impact, and how you are positioned, it might even knock you over
  • The armor is HEAVY. The vest I linked to weighs 35 POUNDS without anything being attached. Have fun wearing that around

Oh, and let us say that 4 people rush you with AKs, spraying in your direction. If they each dump 10 rounds from a magazine, that is 40 7.62x39mm rounds impacting possibly impacting you. Let us assume that your body armor absorbs more than one round, as the 7.62x39mm is an intermediate cartridge. Sooooo..... rounds 1-5 get blocked, rounds 6-40 possibly (probably) punch right through into your chewy center.

Oh, and that is even if they all impact your torso. The in-game plate carrier only covers from the neck to the hips. Get shot in the thigh, bleed out in seconds. Get shot in the leg, get the leg blown off. Get shot in the arm, get the arm blown off.

.... Nope, still fucked. If anything, the ballistic vest gave you enough time to think "OH SHIT" before you got killed. Not really worth the additional weight, increased water and food consumption, nor the plain "pain in the ass" amount of effort it would be to lug that thing around. You would only want to wear it when you know you are going into combat. Like, "assaulting a base" combat, not "chumming it up in a po 'dunk village in the ass end of the map"

• Like 1

heiJrdP.jpg

You're being awfully vague with all your responses.  If you want to have an actual discussion we can, but otherwise you're not really offering anything.

The sniper topic has been discussed to great lengths already. I don't think I could add anything I haven't, or other people haven't, said in the past. Either way, offering you things isn't my prerogative. 

Edited by Rags

I think you can hit a plate four or five times before it cracks, but that's a plate. I've plowed through a spare Kevlar vest with my Army buddies with some M9s and M4s and even the M9s went through maybe 20% of the time. The M4? Every time there was an entry through the front and exit in the back. I'd really only trust a full plate, not just Kevlar on its own.