Sign in to follow this  
MrSnikerz

Metal box/safe for civil guns and ammo

At the moment dayz doesn't seem like apocalyptic game but more like pvp shootout game because of everyone wasting loads of ammo and running with 2 main weapons and full backpack of secondary weapons. The game would seem more apocalytic if player would need to make every bullet count. So, my suggestion is to:

1) lower amount of guns so that having a single gun would be as cool as having a full geared set of items. For example in the civil coastal areas you could find only secondary weapons (pistols) and only in special buildings like guardhouse or police station. To find submachine guns (mp5, scorpion, pm rak) you would need to go to small military zones like balota airfield, prison island,  zelenogorsk military, vybors base, kamenka military base and stary sobor tents. To get the big military guns you would need to go to mishkino base, NW airfield or look for heli crashsites. But how about hunting rifles, shotguns etc.? Those come in second suggestion...

2) Im not sure of other countries but in Latvia, to keep a gun in house or appartment, you need a metal box/safe which is screwed solid to the ground or wall. My suggestion is that player could get hunting rifles, shotguns, etc. only in those metal containers. You could find those in some houses, apartments or even garages. The safe/box could work same as fridge or wardrobe - like a static container to store the items, but the safe/box would be locked. To get the items that are inside the safe/box the player would need a lockpick to open it. The container would have enough slots to store one primary gun, one or two pistols, up to three stacks of bullets, maybe some clips or speedloaders, a scope, and a weapon cleaning kit. 

[two bonus suggestions] - 1)At the moment (0.59 stable) its easy to find a gun but hard to find bullets. I hate the idea of it. Lets make ammo rare and the guns even more rare. 2) And please lower the amount of canned food and soda cans. Players should look for food to survive not to be like "oh I don't like sardines" or "dude, you really gonna eat those damaged beans?". It would be a lot better for the dayz story if the player would use nature to survive - go hunting, look for apples or go fishing. Who does this now? Only those who role-play or who haven't tried it. 

These changes would affect gameplay drastically:

1] it would take much more time to go from bambi to fully gared player

2] less KOS because of amount of bullets or guns

3] zombies would seem more scary if a player would have only a few bullets.

4] good use of lockpick

5] almost no wars in coastal cities

6] more frendly encounters

7] shity weapons wouldn't seem so shity anymore (Im talking about, trumpet, sporter, amphibia, derringer, p1, crossbow, improvised bow etc.)

8] players would need to do something to get the food not just pick it up from the table (fishing, hunting, searching bushes/trees)

9] canibalism would be a choice of survival not just "a cool thing to do" because of the symptoms.

10]...

11]...

12]...

• Like 1

really don't understand why people want pistols/handguns to be more common than longarms. It doesn't make any sense from a "realism/authentic" perspective.

In real life, outside of urban areas (which is probably 90% of the map in Day Z), longarms like shotguns and rifles are probably infinitely more common than handguns. They are just more useful than handguns. With a rifle or shotgun, you can hunt for food and defend yourself, at multiple ranges. With a handgun, you can ...... defend yourself. At close range, mind you. 

If anything, having a handgun and ammunition should be "end-game". You "need" a long-ranged weapon to survive. You don't "need" a handgun. Having a handgun should be a "look at how long I have been alive, how "wealthy" I am, to own something with basically no real use in a survival situation".

Not "babbys first gun"

• Like 2

At some point they are supposed to add stamina. I think that is going to affect the game a lot especially double carrying heavy guns with a pack with 100 pounds of ammo plus food, pistol, mags, etc.

And i also ASSUME that when the soft skills get added that you can improve your carrying weight or at least the amount of stamina you have I know for a fact it will affect sprint as hicks has said it in a talk.  And as for safes and such i'm all for that as long as it has a way in like cutting torch or explosives or even a safe cracking kit maybe it could involve reading a book to get the required skill to use the safe cracker set. If not wait for modding I'm sure something of that nature will be added. And nothing will lower KOS except maybe more things to do and even then some folks just find killing fun and who are we to hate on there fun.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

I agree with you there man, too much ammo floating around + loads of guns, Having less ammo will nullify the problem with the number of guns. 

Im more the type aiming down the sight in controlled shots, but since ammo is such an abundance its too risky doing that and way easier just spray bullets their way and down the go. No point trying to aim or conserve ammo. I and plenty youtubers have rekt people for a long time this way, cuz i'm not putting myself at a disadvantage if there's better options. :P 

• Like 1

really don't understand why people want pistols/handguns to be more common than longarms. It doesn't make any sense from a "realism/authentic" perspective.

Because videogames. Having a pistol as a starter weapon is an extremely common trope. I certainly wouldn't be against the Makarov being somewhat easier to get up and running. Usually by the time I have a working Makarov I already have an SMG or a magnum or something. The Makarov falls to the wayside, as do pistols in general.

Most weapons are one-shot kill. I think people are keen on the idea of players having greater access to weapons that don't kill instantly.

I'd very much like to see a greater variety of revolvers. Such weapons should be relatively common, but also quite limited in their scope. Low capacity, firerate and limited ammo, with the main advantages being that they don't require a magazine and can pack quite a punch at short range.

I wouldn't be against pistols serving as 'starter weapons' or more accurately, starter firearms. Guns should be pretty rare, after all. More emphasis should be put on the bow, crossbow and improvised weapons in general.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again in the hopes that the rare wandering dev sees it. The amount of ammo spawning is fine - the distribution is the problem. I'm sure it must be a bug, but all I ever find are full stacks of ammo. I can go an hour without seeing a single bullet, then I'll find 40 9mm rounds on a desk. I'd much rather find one or two rounds much more frequently, so it's easy to find some ammo, but I won't stumble upon a lifetime's supply by accident - not unless I'm in a military base at the very least.

In regards to the OP, locked containers are a good idea. There could maybe be a lockpicking animation that plays for 30 seconds or something (please no mingames). Maybe a screwdriver or a wire could also function as a lockpick, but work far more slowly. Would also be an opportunity for soft skills to come into play. 

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 2

In regards to the OP, locked containers are a good idea. There could maybe be a lockpicking animation that plays for 30 seconds or something (please no mingames). Maybe a screwdriver or a wire could also function as a lockpick, but work far more slowly. Would also be an opportunity for soft skills to come into play.

Sorry to be off topic but it would be cool to have usefull softskills like that if only to be able to save your skin. Even if i wasnt a good lockpick if faced with bandits i would definitely lie about knowing a location of a safe and being able to pick it if they give me a tool and spare my life. Then hope to give them the slip at some point lol same with knowing first aid or being able to fix their truck etc...

Edited by cash81

Gun safes are a good idea imo, but i don't think they should be the only place to find civilian guns. They could be the most reliable way but not the only one. Other than that I agree that food and firearms should be very rare.

• Like 1

At the moment dayz doesn't seem like apocalyptic game but more like pvp shootout game because of everyone wasting loads of ammo and running with 2 main weapons and full backpack of secondary weapons. 

While these reasons are significant, other main reasons include the lack of a need to ever cooperate and the fact that survival is so easy it's basically nonexistent. People just get bored. Combat is fun.

1) lower amount of guns so that having a single gun would be as cool as having a full geared set of items. For example in the civil coastal areas you could find only secondary weapons (pistols) and only in special buildings like guardhouse or police station. To find submachine guns (mp5, scorpion, pm rak) you would need to go to small military zones like balota airfield, prison island,  zelenogorsk military, vybors base, kamenka military base and stary sobor tents. To get the big military guns you would need to go to mishkino base, NW airfield or look for heli crashsites. But how about hunting rifles, shotguns etc.? Those come in second suggestion...

I don't think this would be productive, though I see the reasoning behind it. It doesn't make sense from an "authenticity" perspective, though to be fair...when somebody advocates for something in terms of "realism" I always raise a brow and put on my scrutiny glasses. Long guns in this video game are not necessarily even more powerful than handguns. I'd take a Red 9 or a Glock over a Winchester any day of the week if I had to only choose one. But some weapons already only spawn in Police Stations and Military Bases, and that aspect of the game only needs fine tuning and balancing instead of total overhaul. It just doesn't make sense from a realism or a balance perspective to remove long gun spawns from the coast. I do not support this idea. 

2) Im not sure of other countries but in Latvia, to keep a gun in house or appartment, you need a metal box/safe which is screwed solid to the ground or wall. My suggestion is that player could get hunting rifles, shotguns, etc. only in those metal containers. You could find those in some houses, apartments or even garages. The safe/box could work same as fridge or wardrobe - like a static container to store the items, but the safe/box would be locked. To get the items that are inside the safe/box the player would need a lockpick to open it. The container would have enough slots to store one primary gun, one or two pistols, up to three stacks of bullets, maybe some clips or speedloaders, a scope, and a weapon cleaning kit. 

That sounds like a retarded law designed to give criminals more safety when they break into your home by making it harder for you to access defense when things go bump in the night. But back to DayZ, I think that having safes spawning in places would be a good idea and having lockpicks to open them would be interesting. Gun safes and such could be treated like dynamic helicopter and police car spawns and would show up in X number of residential houses or garages across Charnarus and swap out ever X minutes. Safes could be of varying sizes, yes...so long as not every safe was a jackpot and some were certainly better than others. I support this idea. 

[two bonus suggestions] - 1)At the moment (0.59 stable) its easy to find a gun but hard to find bullets. I hate the idea of it. Lets make ammo rare and the guns even more rare. 2) And please lower the amount of canned food and soda cans. Players should look for food to survive not to be like "oh I don't like sardines" or "dude, you really gonna eat those damaged beans?". It would be a lot better for the dayz story if the player would use nature to survive - go hunting, look for apples or go fishing. Who does this now? Only those who role-play or who haven't tried it. 

I think the better solution would be to have guns be fairly common but to make ammunition much more rare. I think it would be more interesting from a gameplay and interaction perspective to know that somebody -might- be deadly, but you don't know for sure. I think that food availability will be reduced dramatically in the future, too. However, in regards to gun/ammo availability...I think Bohemia will continue to experiment as development progresses forwards. 

These changes would affect gameplay drastically:

1] it would take much more time to go from bambi to fully gared player

2] less KOS because of amount of bullets or guns

3] zombies would seem more scary if a player would have only a few bullets.

4] good use of lockpick

5] almost no wars in coastal cities

6] more frendly encounters

7] shity weapons wouldn't seem so shity anymore (Im talking about, trumpet, sporter, amphibia, derringer, p1, crossbow, improvised bow etc.)

8] players would need to do something to get the food not just pick it up from the table (fishing, hunting, searching bushes/trees)

9] canibalism would be a choice of survival not just "a cool thing to do" because of the symptoms.

10]...

11]...

12]...

1 - If all the highest end loot is still in the same place, then going to those places will still be how to get fully geared. This will not impact how quick it will be to become fully geared, but it will impact how long characters float around in the Moderately Geared limbo category. Taking that spawning area Magnum or Red 9 to the military base would get you geared to the top just as quickly as before. 

2 - I have more of an inclination to think that there won't be less killing, just that it wouldn't be on sight and would be more backstabbing to make those headshots with bullets count.

3 - Perhaps, though when a zombie comes for me I just lock them in a building since it's normally quieter and safer than engaging them in wonky silly melee combat. But you're right that people would use less ammunition on zombies as they are now.

4 - Yes.

5 - This would have no impact on that at all, only that there would be more melee combat and pistol combat. Violence on the coast is a byproduct of the poor idea to have people spawn there, among other smaller factors. The coast would be just as violent.

6 - This is just a reworded #2.

7 - The pistols that you want to appear around spawning zones are far better than all these weapons anyway, so there would be no change in people deciding to use these "shitty" weapons. The magnum and the Red 9, for instance, are both far more potent than all the ones you listed here. Just because it's a pistol doesn't mean it's less potent than a rifle is in the DayZ world. The problems with these weapons are the fact that the .22 LR is a very weak bullet, and both the Trumpet and Sporter have issues with fire rates and magazine availability respectively. 

8 - That's more related to sheer food spawning and the continued balance of calories vs. expenditure of energy. Hunting for deer and juniper bushes shouldn't be a need, but an option. Especially since I haven't seen a deer in months. Making it a need to rely on animals will be a nightmare until Bohemia makes their numbers able to sustain more players.

9 - The only people smiling about Kuru are the ones who have it. Even then, I never found eating a human being to be something that was a survival need, seeing as you'd have to have access to a dead body, be able to cut it up, be able to start a fire, cook it, and then consume it. That's a lot to do when there have always been better options. In fact, I was never a fan of even having it put in as a mechanic in the first place. 

In real life, outside of urban areas (which is probably 90% of the map in Day Z), longarms like shotguns and rifles are probably infinitely more common than handguns. They are just more useful than handguns. With a rifle or shotgun, you can hunt for food and defend yourself, at multiple ranges. With a handgun, you can ...... defend yourself. At close range, mind you. 

If anything, having a handgun and ammunition should be "end-game". You "need" a long-ranged weapon to survive. You don't "need" a handgun. Having a handgun should be a "look at how long I have been alive, how "wealthy" I am, to own something with basically no real use in a survival situation".

Not "babbys first gun"

Well, it depends. Some of the long arms in the game (Blaze 95 *cough*) we have would be infinitely less common than a Makarov, but yeah there's really no reason why most pistols would be more common than the IZh-18 or IZH-43 per se.

Still, guns like the P1, Makarov, and such are definitely best off being reasonably common but not the most common, aka where it is now.

Well, it depends. Some of the long arms in the game (Blaze 95 *cough*) we have would be infinitely less common than a Makarov, but yeah there's really no reason why most pistols would be more common than the IZh-18 or IZH-43 per se.

Still, guns like the P1, Makarov, and such are definitely best off being reasonably common but not the most common, aka where it is now.

Oh, I agree. I still don't understand why certain longarms, like the Repeater and the Blaze (isn't the Blaze IRL worth several thousand dollars apiece?) are in-game asides for shits n' giggles, but Mosins, CR527s, SKS's, and such should be more common than handguns.

Really, anything that could be used as a hunting weapon, or a "plinker" for target/varmint shooting should be pretty common. Ammo, on the other hand......

Oh, I agree. I still don't understand why certain longarms, like the Repeater and the Blaze (isn't the Blaze IRL worth several thousand dollars apiece?) are in-game asides for shits n' giggles, but Mosins, CR527s, SKS's, and such should be more common than handguns.

Really, anything that could be used as a hunting weapon, or a "plinker" for target/varmint shooting should be pretty common. Ammo, on the other hand......

The Repeater is decent enough - lever actions in general aren't very common in Europe, but when you do find them, Rossi/Taurus rifles are among the most common. The devs want to fill many different weapon niches, so to that end at least they picked a rifle that is plausible.

Now, the Blaser on the other hand doesn't really make as much sense, especially considering the numerous other more available double rifles in the region, but the devs model 99% of the civilian weapons off of guns they find at a local Czech gun shop, so it was probably done for their convenience, and the fact that it's such a generic weapon that you can't tell it's out of place unless you knew about the real gun beforehand.

Honestly, neither of those guns would have any issue if they spawned less frequently, but for the sake of gameplay they just exist to represent firearm categories, so they get a pass in my book. What's bothers me (to the extent that anything does, although I don't really mind what the devs put in) are weapons like the Steyr AUG A1, FNX-45, or Desert Eagle, which have to have some background explanation for as to why they're appearing. Those feel more out of place than some civilian rifles, at least to me.