Sign in to follow this  
famousbull

Completely confused on why my game has suddenly stopped working!

Hi Guys,  :)

First post here - hopefully you guys can help me get to the bottom of this mystery.

I bought the Day Z SA back in Jan of this year (2015) and had an amazing time on it and the game ran smoothly apart from the obvious bugs here and there, but all in all it was fine.

One day back in August I fired up Day Z after keeping my character a live for a long time with all the best gear and suddenly it just kept freezing. Everytime I would look around or move, the game would just completely freeze and if I waited long enough the game would exit to desktop and I would get an error message saying "The Instruction at 0x76ffd968 referenced memory at 0x00000000014. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate the program."

I reinstalled the game - it fixed the error message but It would still freeze every time I would take a step forward or look around.

I didn't change anything to my PC at all so I don't get how it would randomly stop working? 

I have emailed Bohemia support and they tried to help me by suggesting launch perimeters and got me to send my dxdiag to them. Still no luck.

So far I have tried:

Reinstall x4

Validate Game Cache

Changed my graphics card from 660TI 2GB to a 970 4GB

Reinstall steam.

Reinstall steam again to another hard drive.

Any idea on what I can do guys? I haven't played since august and I am craving me some Day z time. No one has any IDea how to fix it.   :(

My Specs:

Processor: Intel i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz 

Memory: 16GB RAM

Direct X 11

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

So to sum it up, I have tried everything pretty much and I cannot play Day Z as it just crashes as soon as I walk around or look around, or even bring up the interaction menu.

Look forward to hearing from you guys,

Famousbull  :beans:

post-235817-0-36631900-1451427832_thumb.

Have you updated your gfx drivers and run a check on your RAM? I don't really know how you would check your BIOS (be very careful with updating that! don't do it unless you feel other things/games are wrong with your PC). Your problem just sounds awefully familiar to what people described, who had problems with their old dual-cores. You might also just wanna open the case and see if all cables and connections are tightly plugged. You could also check+defragement your HD, but that takes very long. However, if all other games with similar demands as Dayz run fine, it's not a hardware problem. Run a bechmark test first, maybe.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Hi,

Yes I have updated my drivers when I installed my new gfx card last week - i double checked my PC cables last week which were all fine.

Could you elaborate on what an old dual core is? Sorry I'm not the biggest tech guy. The only thing left o can think of is what you said; defrag my hard drive. You think reinstalling Windows would work maybe? Or upgrading to Windows 10? I am on Windows 7 ATM.

All my other games run perfect. I am running battlefield 4, battlefront on ultra at around a minimum of 70fps. No other game is giving me problems at all.

Hi famousbull,

that really looks like a tough issue. I'd recomend:

- Update Windows (keep W7 !)

- If 2*8 GB RAM, remove 1 module

- Update Mainboard drivers

- Disable any Antivirus software for testing

- Disable any Gaming related software like MSI-Afterburner etc., Fraps etc.

- Video-driver: turn off every setting like Antialiasing, Anisitrope Filtering etc.

- Test startup parameters like "CPUcount=4", adjust to your hardware, google for that

- Test with lowest ingame video settings

That's all i can think of for the moment.

Good luck.

Read the Stickies...

For example :         https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/220962-game-doesnt-start-no-servers-are-shown/#entry2220122

My game doesn’t start / I get a Windows error (e.g. “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000009a)”) when launching with BE enabled. How do I fix this?

http://www.battleye.com/support/faq/

Use this alongside your AV.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

• Like 1

Could you elaborate on what an old dual core is? 

Well you have an i5, which means 5 cores. Good gaming PC with decent speed. Older PCs were dual core, which means they only have 2 cores for multithreading. With your hardware you should be more than able to run the game smoothly. You should be able to run it on fairly high settings. A while back people on the stable forums complained they had these choppy frames and the issue was resolved - or improved - through a patch. But it could be a number of things that causes your problems. It just sounds suspiciously like that old dual-core issue. 

First you should do what was suggested and check the threads. It is well-possible that you have turned up all effects and post-processing to the max, which will probably cause any PC to melt, at the moment. The game is getting better optimized all the time. But it will take a few more iterations, before even people with very good PCs can use high or very high grafic settings. So it might be just this. Check your resolution, turn off shadows and the other stuff that was suggested above and see if that improves performance at all. If not and if the issue is perstistent with other games, you may have a hardware problem. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Hi famousbull,

that really looks like a tough issue. I'd recomend:

- Update Windows (keep W7 !)

- If 2*8 GB RAM, remove 1 module

- Update Mainboard drivers

- Disable any Antivirus software for testing

- Disable any Gaming related software like MSI-Afterburner etc., Fraps etc.

- Video-driver: turn off every setting like Antialiasing, Anisitrope Filtering etc.

- Test startup parameters like "CPUcount=4", adjust to your hardware, google for that

- Test with lowest ingame video settings

That's all i can think of for the moment.

Good luck.

Hi Gambia,

I have tried everything what you suggested today - still; no luck.. It is so weird man I honestly have no clue what it is. 

Well you have an i5, which means 5 cores. Good gaming PC with decent speed. Older PCs were dual core, which means they only have 2 cores for multithreading. With your hardware you should be more than able to run the game smoothly. You should be able to run it on fairly high settings. A while back people on the stable forums complained they had these choppy frames and the issue was resolved - or improved - through a patch. But it could be a number of things that causes your problems. It just sounds suspiciously like that old dual-core issue. 

First you should do what was suggested and check the threads. It is well-possible that you have turned up all effects and post-processing to the max, which will probably cause any PC to melt, at the moment. The game is getting better optimized all the time. But it will take a few more iterations, before even people with very good PCs can use high or very high grafic settings. So it might be just this. Check your resolution, turn off shadows and the other stuff that was suggested above and see if that improves performance at all. If not and if the issue is perstistent with other games, you may have a hardware problem. 

Ah, yes that makes sense; sorry. Yeah back when Day Z was running I would run everything on a mixture of normal/high with vsync off, shadows low. It was running fine then - that was with my old 660TI aswell. Since the problem I have set my resolution scale down 50% and turned everything on LOW, turned shadows off. literally it was the lowest you can set everything too ect. I was thinking it was an hardware problem which is why I bought a 970GTX. Could it be my processor which is bottle-necking my GFX card? Every other game runs fine but I do understand that Day Z SA is very heavy on the system due to it not being optimized so.......

Maybe get a new processor? 

Again, I have EVERYTHING set to the lowest option with options which can be turned off completely, are.

EDIT: If there was a way I could upload a video somehwere and show you, would this be helpful to you?

Edited by famousbull

It could also be an overheating issue, if the CPU of GPU gets too hot the system will freeze. Maybe you can run some monitoring software in the background and see what temps you get.

• Like 1

Ah, yes that makes sense; sorry. Yeah back when Day Z was running I would run everything on a mixture of normal/high with vsync off, shadows low. It was running fine then - that was with my old 660TI aswell. Since the problem I have set my resolution scale down 50% and turned everything on LOW, turned shadows off. literally it was the lowest you can set everything too ect. I was thinking it was an hardware problem which is why I bought a 970GTX. Could it be my processor which is bottle-necking my GFX card? Every other game runs fine but I do understand that Day Z SA is very heavy on the system due to it not being optimized so.......

I don't think your specs are the problem and if other games run fine there is no hardware issue either. You could try downloading the experimental version and see if the problem is the same there. If that works, it might be somehow your config files got messed up, but there really is no telling why this happens. It could also be your internet connection. Do you have some problems with the data rate transfer sometimes? Does it lag in other online games? Are other people using the same line for their internet? Have you or your neighbors had any problems with their phone lines or internet? Are you playing on different servers or always only the same ones?

Do you have any startup options left that are from the old days? I'd suggest using only -newui, or leaving the field blank. You can also check what is the native resolution of your screen, as it is possible that the GFX card has problems downsampling the quality to a lower resolution (your native screen resolution should be fairly high). I don't think a video would help me, it's best to write a ticket to the devs and send them your logs (if requested). It's always possible that certain unique combinations of hardware cause a game to crap out. No developer can take all possible combinations into account, but things should still work decently, at least. My best bet is the internet connection at this point, but it sure is annoying for you and I wish you best of luck solving the issue. 

Edited by S3V3N

As you've tested with a second video card, it still seems CPU / RAM related, even if other games work well. Check your BIOS settings, i don't recall every one of them but you might like to disable security and power saving settings for another test. Check RAM timings, everything.

http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-performance-guide-crash-fix/

check this stuff out.

maybe some of the parameters would help you.

-maxMem=16384 -malloc=system -cpuCount=4 in particular.

have you tried any of this?

For the love of God don't mess with your BIOS. Thats a bad idea.

Edited by iClown

There's no point for insults. Adjusting the BIOS isn't as dangerous as it was in the past. If he can swap a video card, i'm sure the OP will carefully check the settings and google for anything unclear. Apart of that, we're running out of options in his case.

Edited by gambla

There's no point for insults. Adjusting the BIOS isn't as dangerous as it was in the past. I'm sure the OP will carefully check the settings and google for anything unclear. Apart of that, we're running out of options in his case.

Id like to know what in BIOS needs adjusted that would affect DayZ and only DayZ. There is nothing.

Of course there is. And the error message is pointing to a memory failure, even so it might be misleading. Only because every other software runs stable on his system/hardware, doesn't mean that a high demanding game like DayZ is not affected by BIOS settings like Core clocks, RAM timings, further on settings like e.g. "Intel Virtualization Techn." etc.. And my long experience with this kind of issues is that it's always worth to doublecheck everything even if it seems unrelated. Sometimes users just forgot about any system changes they made.

Of course there is. And the error message is pointing to a memory failure, even so it might be misleading. Only because every other software runs stable on his system/hardware, doesn't mean that a high demanding game like DayZ is not affected by BIOS settings like Core clocks, RAM timings, further on settings like e.g. "Intel Virtualization Techn." etc.. And my long experience with this kind of issues is that it's always worth to doublecheck everything even if it seems unrelated. Sometimes users just forgot about any system changes they made.

dude, hes using 16GB of ram on a game engine that came out the same time DDR3 did. Perhaps DayZ isnt assuming he has 16GB of RAM while his PC just goes ahead and does what it does. Im wondering what parameters hes tried if any... We dont even know what particular OS this dude is rocking. Also he has changed his graphics card. There are a ton of things it could be but BIOS isn't where the fix is.

inb4 driver mess: http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

Edited by iClown

The read memory error is System/BE related, documented with possible solution proposals.

Do not complicate matters needlessly.

@ OP, PM me if the problem persists.