Sign in to follow this  
Zurvivalist

Hunting No Head shots

Couple issues I need help confirming. 

1: Heat shots on animals does not seem to work . Meaning you do not get the damage bonus. Testing this is hard to do , given its nature . But I've tried twice now with a 9mm and 45 pistols on cattle, and female elk. Once with 22 on a hog. None of these lower cal weapons can be used to one shot a larger animal with a head shot as they should. 

2: sporter 22 requires 3 shots to the head to kill a zombie , While the Amphibia S .22 pistol only requires one shot to the head to kill properly 

Considering how, in real life, animals survive "head shots" with depressing frequency ( I myself have seen a whitetail wandering around with brain exposed), "head shots" should not be something you should go for when hunting.

Yeah, don't ever try to shoot something in its arguably most vital organ, don't be silly OP.

Headshots have always worked for me , 

I've hunted both deer and hogs with little more than a 22 LR or 17 HMR 

deer-head-shot-o.gif

Its all about shot placement 

Edited by J0nathan

Yeah, don't ever try to shoot something in its arguably most vital organ, don't be silly OP.

In essentially every single hunting "class", the instructor is going to tell you to never aim for the head, and instead go for the heart, lungs, and major blood vessels in the chest/torso.

Why do you think that is?

Hint: the skull is hard, and numerous people in real life have survived point-blank bullets to the forehead when the hardness + curvature of the skull caused the bullet to literally scoot around the head, under the skin.

• Like 1

In essentially every single hunting "class", the instructor is going to tell you to never aim for the head, and instead go for the heart, lungs, and major blood vessels in the chest/torso.

Why do you think that is?

Hint: the skull is hard, and numerous people in real life have survived point-blank bullets to the forehead when the hardness + curvature of the skull caused the bullet to literally scoot around the head, under the skin.

It's more likely that it's a bigger/steadier target.  That in real life it's probably incredibly difficult to hit a head which is relatively small and likely moving.  The same reason they train to aim center of mass in the military.  Not because the "skull is hard."

Here's a little anecdote though, since that's all you care about:  Early on the Iraq war an investigation took place because it was believed American forces were executing a bunch of insurgents by capturing them then shooting them in the head.  Instead it was realized that the soldiers were just being incredibly accurate because of their acog optics combined with their heads being the only exposed targets the majority of the time.

You have a very weird habit of taking little anecdotes to the extreme.  What with your nail bat nonsense, "you sweat you die" mantra, splinters will kill you balogney and pretty much 90% of the stuff you post.  The most comical part of it all is that it doesn't even apply to the game, those levels of simulation aren't in.  There's nothing unreasonable at all when it comes to gameplay of expecting a headshot to do more damage, so your little stories about all the deers running around surviving headshots as well as humans are pretty pointless.  Those are flukes, not the norm.

There's a gif right above your post you might want to look at.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

While I agree that headshots should be fatal, you really should know that it is proper practice to aim for just behind the shoulder. You whack the heart and lungs, and bleed the deer quickly which helps later steps of butchering it.

where-to-shoot-a-deer.jpg

• Like 1

While I agree that headshots should be fatal, you really should know that it is proper practice to aim for just behind the shoulder. You whack the heart and lungs, and bleed the deer quickly which helps later steps of butchering it.

Trust me  I know all about proper shot placement . I am very adamant in trying to follow any updates in regards to this information from the Devs when it comes to player kills and body zones. As I do not always prefer to kill players when i shoot them , In the mod days I was a rather big troll when it came to using the DMR to snipe people from far away , aiming for leg breaks only, leaving them to crawl for miles through the open fields lol 

The current issue I have been testing with animals . 

Is that they dont seem to have any zones to place a shot in , with the right gun ( lets say a VSS ) you will kill them no matter where you hit them , head , ass, heart. 

Its just a calculater of [X dmg ] vs [X health] , 

The head shots don't work , and they will not bleed out over time , 

This is a major issue in my opinion that will need to eventually be address for survivalist ,. 

If say you find yourself in a situation where let's say you only have a 5.54 and you manage to shoot a Bull Elk or cow with a couple shots, but the total damage your weapon does is still less than the total HP the animal has , let's say it hypothetically , let the animal with two wounds and 5 HP remaining. The animal will run , likely faster then you can keep up. IF it does not bleed out , it will eventually i suppose reset , and return to full health ( i have no way of testing this at the moment ) . Same for the off chance of a leg shot , the animal should not be able to run at full speed when you shoot it in the leg , or hip.

These things could be overkill right now for hunting, but could prove vital once we get predators . 

Would hate to face a bear right now with something like a RAK or MP5 ... 

I shot a cow at very close range (was sneaking up prone, and it turned and walked right over to me) right between the eyes with an amphibia this morning, and that definitely doesn't kill it.

amphibia will definitely kill a chicken with a center-mass shot.

, "you sweat you die" mantra, splinters will kill you balogney and pretty much 90% of the stuff you post.  The most comical part of it all is that it doesn't even apply to the game, those levels of simulation aren't in.  There's nothing unreasonable at all when it comes to gameplay of expecting a headshot to do more damage, so your little stories about all the deers running around surviving headshots as well as humans are pretty pointless.  Those are flukes, not the norm.

-ahem-

"You sweat, you die" I am not the one that came up with that statement, first of all

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/cold-3.php

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/causes-of-hypothermia.html

"Splinters will kill you"

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=223952

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZbJGCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT215&lpg=PT215&dq=survival+infection+from+splinter&source=bl&ots=wBbMTyXhaV&sig=Gpt1--riaXYPXaFzniPdEsFitLw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhp53pqPfJAhVH6yYKHbvoAJ4Q6AEINjAF#v=onepage&q=survival%20infection%20from%20splinter&f=false

While the threat of infection from a splinter is minor, so long as it doesn't stay in the body, the "main" point I was trying to make from that story is that infected wounds are highly lethal in a survival situation. Splinters, being a type of puncture wound, are more difficult to clean out properly than lacerations, and therefore, more likely to develop septicemia. And that is in a situation where you have antibiotics and sterile materials, much less one where the supplies of such medication and sterile materials is limited.

Finally, I am willing to bet that that shot in the gif was made with a high-power rifle. You don't shoot at deer with a fucking .22LR. Hell, I am surprised the OP hunts hogs and the like with a .22LR. 17 HMR is ok, because it has higher velocity and suchlike, but .22LR is ..... come on, man. I wouldn't shoot coyotes with that thing, they would take too long to die.

Finally,

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/2013/08/guest-shoot-me-down-headshots-deer-are-contemptible

• Like 1

Finally, I am willing to bet that that shot in the gif was made with a high-power rifle. You don't shoot at deer with a fucking .22LR. Hell, I am surprised the OP hunts hogs and the like with a .22LR. 17 HMR is ok, because it has higher velocity and suchlike, but .22LR is ..... come on, man. I wouldn't shoot coyotes with that thing, they would take too long to die.

Its all about shot placement . 

I've gone out with other hunters with high cal 30-06 or 308 type rifles, And watch them lung shot deer or hogs, and have to chase them for hours to track them down  

Where as I , with my 22lr or 17hmr ( depending on locations) Have always been able to drop my target where it stood. 

The key to doing so is first and foremost , shot placement , Knowing the skulls of your target, And secondly never takeing a shot your not 100% sure of . 

Deer and hogs, depending on angel is right behind the ear or at the base of the skull where it meets the spine . 

Turkey , where the neck meets the body, ( spinal shot , where its most still ) 

Rabbits, Earlobe or between the eyes, 

Squirrel , eye ball 

THe reason i adopted this practice , is for one it more humane , and two , as I hunt for meat and not sport, It damages none of the meet where a heart or lung would. 

you guys keep arguing RL stuff... what for???
All the old folks I talk to playing Dayz, they always refer to real-life facts and situations and aspects. I tell you what, it doesnt mean fuck all.

Dayz is a military sim and things have very limited factors and variables attached to them, as the game code dictates. Apparently animals do not have hitzones, even tho I find that hard to believe. Thats all.

• Like 1

you guys keep arguing RL stuff... what for???

All the old folks I talk to playing Dayz, they always refer to real-life facts and situations and aspects. I tell you what, it doesnt mean fuck all.

Dayz is a military sim and things have very limited factors and variables attached to them, as the game code dictates. Apparently animals do not have hitzones, even tho I find that hard to believe. Thats all.

Exactly this.

This topic is about hit boxes and damage multipliers in a game.  The amount of simulation to account for flukes in nature, of a bullet wrapping itself through the layer of skin on a skull is not here so it doesn't matter.  Just as it doesn't matter if you can get hypothermia from sweating because that shit isn't in either.

Logically, using common sense, shooting something in the head has a very high chance of killing it.

• Like 1

DayZ:

At the first non-lethal shot an animal should run to any close cover - to a treeline line or to bushes, and then stop there.

This is your chance to "track" it and take another shot.

It won't run again unless you spook it - then same applies as the first time.

Animals in DayZ should bleed out, like humans. 

So you can follow it up after the first shot to finish it, take a second shot and follow again if you need to.

Or you can sit and wait it out, until it bleeds out.

[edit: a wounded animal should never despawn like other loot, until it dies]

(Hey - for +50,000 years we have been hunting with bows and spears (and those are not good for headshots) - we can move faster and further over a period of time than any other creature, and  we can keep moving for days longer, without tiring. 90% of hunting has always been following up a wounded animal. This is hunting as it has been for 50 centuries - survival hunting -  My idea here is a VERY little SIMPLE imitation of that style of hunting for DayZ.

Blowing a deer's brain out of its head with a high power rifle is a modern sport, it ain't survival. - If you want to just kill animals in DayZ use an automatic military rifle, save yourself having to aim (the steaks and the hide will be the same)...     

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1