Sign in to follow this  
forester155

Cut 12 gauge shells to make slugs

I noticed this as a *very* old video made by the guys at IV8888. Back when barry was alive... D:

We should def be able to do this in DayZ standalone. As it stands, shotguns are not my weapon of choice because if someone is even a medium distance away, the buckshot is going to fail me. We should be able to cut the buckshot to make slugs as shown in this video.

• Like 1

I'm curious on the accuracy of slugs through a non rifled barrel, never tried it myself but i would assume it would be affected. Watching the video i had something completely different in mind, pretty cool idea probably not very accurate over range.

Edited by HeXedMinD

I'm curious on the accuracy of slugs through a non rifled barrel, never tried it myself but i would assume it would be affected. Watching the video i had something completely different in mind, pretty cool idea probably not very accurate over range.

Watch the video again. It has plenty of accuracy at range. Not out to 300 meters, but much more effective than buck at 25-50 yards.

While not MOA at 100yrds like some hunting rifles, smooth bore shotguns are still very much Minute Of Man at that distance. Most of the time they are used for hunting hogs or deer and while the kill zone of a deer is roughly 8 inches, smoothbores can certainly hit it at 50yards. Man sized target would be no problem.

• Like 1

Eleborate a little more on this subject; Hopefully they will add different barrels for a shot gun. For example; full choked, or semi-choked and a smoothed bore system(s).

• Like 2

Eleborate a little more on this subject; Hopefully they will add different barrels for a shot gun. For example; full choked, or semi-choked and a smoothed bore system(s).

You can also get rifled barrels for most shotguns. I have one on mine for deer hunting with a slug. Where I hunt brush is thick and running across a dear often happens at about 50 yards or less and I can say for sure you can pop a slug through heart and lungs at that range. 

• Like 1

You can also get rifled barrels for most shotguns. I have one on mine for deer hunting with a slug. Where I hunt brush is thick and running across a dear often happens at about 50 yards or less and I can say for sure you can pop a slug through heart and lungs at that range. 

By chance you talking Sabbot Slug?I'm quite the hunter myself.

By chance you talking Sabbot Slug?I'm quite the hunter myself.

Nope...  I've got a smooth bore and rifled barrel for my 12 Gauge and use a full bore slug. I'm NOT quite the hunter and enjoy my simple shotgun for home defense and hunting. ;) Heck I use the shotgun's iron sights. 

It's interesting but slugs are already on the agenda.

I understand, but this would let you turn buck INTO slugs, rendering the once useless at range shell a useful device. Watch the video.

I also hope they add adjustable chokes and maybe even different types of slugs, like homemade projectiles (explosive!) and different types of chain shots.

I understand, but this would let you turn buck INTO slugs, rendering the once useless at range shell a useful device. Watch the video.

I did watch it.  It just seems a bit redundant.

Some shotguns have rifling? Huh.

I knew about slugs, but I assumed they were made accurate by some sort of black magic, or because they were specifically designed to be stable in flight with little fins or something.

I think shotguns in DayZ need work in general. Aren't shotguns supposed to be effective at like 100m or something? In DayZ it seems they have a pretty poor range, making them pretty much useless outside of very close quarters combat - and even then you'd be better off with an SMG.

Slugs were in when the alpha first came out. I don't doubt they'll reappear.

Some shotguns have rifling? Huh.

I knew about slugs, but I assumed they were made accurate by some sort of black magic, or because they were specifically designed to be stable in flight with little fins or something.

I think shotguns in DayZ need work in general. Aren't shotguns supposed to be effective at like 100m or something? In DayZ it seems they have a pretty poor range, making them pretty much useless outside of very close quarters combat - and even then you'd be better off with an SMG.

Slugs were in when the alpha first came out. I don't doubt they'll reappear.

Yes, in real life shotguns are effective at much higher ranges than most video games would lead you to believe. Strangely in DayZ it seems the opposite, I have rarely gotten a point-blank shotgun kill, but the one or two times I have tried to use it at longer ranges it was actually successful.

As the video demonstrated, these "Cut" Shells would only be applicable in break action shotguns aka the Izh-43, as Pump and Semi-Auto's will jam when you use them.

I can see them being useful in a pinch but I don't think they'd be a major priority, another video they have is Wax Slugs which takes relatively common "Birdshot" shells are converts them into Improvised Slugs using melted candle wax or glue

Having both would be nice, cut shells for break action or a single shot and bonded shot for when you have more time and material, but working reliably in all shotguns...

As the video demonstrated, these "Cut" Shells would only be applicable in break action shotguns aka the Izh-43, as Pump and Semi-Auto's will jam when you use them.

I can see them being useful in a pinch but I don't think they'd be a major priority, another video they have is Wax Slugs which takes relatively common "Birdshot" shells are converts them into Improvised Slugs using melted candle wax or glue

What makes you think cut shells wouldn't work in a pump action?

I did watch it.  It just seems a bit redundant.

In what way? If I have buck, but I want slugs, cutting the buck is a solution to my problem? Or is it redundant because slugs exist, so I should have to find slugs to use slugs? Then if I need slugs before I find slugs, I should just cry and fuck myself in a corner? C'mon man. 

While not MOA at 100yrds like some hunting rifles, smooth bore shotguns are still very much Minute Of Man at that distance. Most of the time they are used for hunting hogs or deer and while the kill zone of a deer is roughly 8 inches, smoothbores can certainly hit it at 50yards. Man sized target would be no problem.

It is a great pity there is no "stagger" effect for a non-lethal hit in DayZ

As well as the shotgun load there is the special particular quality of a shotgun when compared to other weapons

In Vietnam ground troops were constantly calling for shotguns - I read thy were very popular for patrol situations for short range surprise face-to-face. These guys had totally free access to modern military rifles as standard equipment, and as much ammo and frags as they could carry - so why want the shotgun?

It's irritating in DayZ to give someone a solid shotgun body/chest  hit at short range, and the guy grunts but does not flinch - gun still up, still aiming steady -  and headshots you.

As long as this is the case - the different loads are interesting (very good conversation) - but IMO will not have any effect in the game.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

While Im sure they "could" work, you are much more likely to have them bend/crush/break when chambering a round from the tube when going up the feed ramp.

If it was me, i'd be chambering each round like a single shot. Nothing in the tube, just one in the chamber each time i had to shoot.

While Im sure they "could" work, you are much more likely to have them bend/crush/break when chambering a round from the tube when going up the feed ramp.

If it was me, i'd be chambering each round like a single shot. Nothing in the tube, just one in the chamber each time i had to shoot.

The above comment sums it up pretty well, majority of the time loading a "cut shell" into a pump or a semi-auto causes the weapon to potentially crack that shell open in the breech, causing a potential jam if you tried loading another shell from the tube. Alot of the time Cut shells are best used in a break action double or single barrel shotgun.