Sign in to follow this  
iClown

Rabbit snares?

I havent caught anything with a rabbit snare in a very long time... can anyone confirm that they still work or are they busted?

*update*

scratch that. I swear the second I pushed the button to post this I caught a rabbit. Ive been catchin them left and right suddenly. conspiracy?

Edited by iClown
  • Like 3

Do you just place them in the middle of the woods, does it matter where you place the traps?

Do you just place them in the middle of the woods, does it matter where you place the traps?

Where you place it does influence the chances of catching a rabbit. I think in the woods it is lower than in fields, around rocks and on the edge of forests. You'd have to experiment. Most of all it is important that you stay out of a 100 meter radius after setting up the trap. If you have a camp or just a barrel, etc. it often lends itself to set up a trap, shortly before you arrive there. And then go check it out, once you threw your gear in the barrel and organised things. I've waited between 5-10 minutes every time I used a trap and quite often caught a rabbit. Most of the time I tried putting a trap in a forest I didn't find it again ^^ so that's one reason to prefer fields and near rocks.

It's rather a gadget at the moment, but still nice it works. With the amount of food in every second house there is no real need to roast rabbit legs. At least you get some pelt this way, too. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

It's rather a gadget at the moment, but still nice it works. With the amount of food in every second house there is no real need to roast rabbit legs. At least you get some pelt this way, too. 

I can't find any hunting backpacks so might as well!

I found mine on a hunting stand. I think they aren't that rare there, but I haven't seen them elsewhere, yet. But you can take any backpack for hunting. The pelts are 2x2 usually now. Not sure if all of them are, but they aren't too large to fit in regular backpacks. 

• Like 1

I've got the ol' burlap with sticks and rope atm, just wanted something larger so i could find a better balance between my greedy nature and survival. I guess it's also comfortable just having those extra slots for whatever you know? I'll have another look by the deer stands, I might just be "unlucky"(on the other hand i do have a magnum and a winchester m70 with hunting scope, 30ish bullets on magnum, 80 on winchester, no hopping, i play on 1pp uk experimental)

btw, any idea if the tripwire is working? I've got like 4 flashbangs and i'd love to scare a few people hehe, i'd test it myself but i'm afraid of runing my gear, or putting it on the floor and have it just go poof for no reason.

(i know im derailing this a bit but your insight is awesome, thanks man)

• Like 1

(i know im derailing this a bit but your insight is awesome, thanks man)

I think the actual tripwire works, but the grenades you attach don't blow up, yet. Good call, I should try that and see if it works now. Best things are the little things you don't know about. When I was fishing with a guy, he caught a pair of rubber boots ^^ The chances are like 4% or something even lower, but I had no idea about this at all. My face when it happened: oO

I love small stuff like this and there is a lot more of it. Tripwires with grenades will be a great thing in the future. I hope we can set up more traps like that in the future to protect our camp/base. Especially if they could be made persistent too, so you don't lose them after every server restart.  

• Like 2

I have one, its damaged but found it in the deer stand.

@7 you can do tripwires with grenades? omfg i heard about tripwires but not with grenades to it. Man that would be cool to see if it works.

Since i love c4 placements. Do watch the next door you open :)

• Like 1

I think the actual tripwire works, but the grenades you attach don't blow up, yet. Good call, I should try that and see if it works now. Best things are the little things you don't know about. When I was fishing with a guy, he caught a pair of rubber boots ^^ The chances are like 4% or something even lower, but I had no idea about this at all. My face when it happened: oO

I love small stuff like this and there is a lot more of it. Tripwires with grenades will be a great thing in the future. I hope we can set up more traps like that in the future to protect our camp/base. Especially if they could be made persistent too, so you don't lose them after every server restart.  

Dude lol, I had no idea you could get stuff fishing (other than fish ofcourse), i'll have to try that sometime for sure.

As for tripwires, i mean, there's the obvious hostile use right, like people just planting them on key places to watch people blow/flash tehmselves up, but you can also use it as you said to protect your camp, or, if smokes worked (why don't they? BIS is so weird sometimes...) as a form of alarm/spotting while you're looting, or camping. In fact tripwires could just be used to know if people had been in a place and yeah definitely should be persistent, and you know it feels like it's use is pretty flexible, so it's like...you know when i saw tripwires, I was like, you can't just have it in AND not work...damnit!

Since i love c4 placements. Do watch the next door you open :)

Before I knew they weren't working, I already did! Hope they make it to stable

or, if smokes worked (why don't they? BIS is so weird sometimes...) as a form of alarm/spotting while you're looting, or camping.

As far as I know you can attach them and they will trigger, but at the moment, they just fall off the wire and don't get unpinned. That's just a minor tweak, I think. You are absolutely right - there could be many cool uses for this feature. One of them being that lonewolf players like me can just set up a tripwire (with or without nades) at the entrance of police stations, so we can't be ambushed as easily. It'll be well-worth crafting a few tripwires and using them to protect my ass while looting :) 

• Like 1

It'll be well-worth crafting a few tripwires and using them to protect my ass while looting :)

If without nades, you'd need something to actually make some kind of alarm, like noise right? and without going too far into dreamland and i'm 99% sure they must've thought of this, I guess you could work with a pot, or tin cans(like, 4 tin cans, or some other kind of balance o people wouldn't go about making tripwires left and right)and just have a sound effect when the tripwire is triggered.

• Like 1

So are trip-wires just a line being strung between two points, or does it also have a mechanical functionality, like being tied to door handles?

I only play stable so i'll need to wait.

Would also like to adjust grenade placement, assuming the way it works currently is you have a wire and grenades attached to one end of the wire.  Would like to see maybe a bend so i could have a bouquet ala fallout somewhere other than the termination of the trip-wire.

Alarm system also would be good.  But was thinking about this the other day how SA doesn't generate empty cans, like the mod when you ate.  Sure you could gut a few cans of peaches but if you're just gonna tip them out on the ground for an alarm i'll stick to grenades or pots or something.

• Like 1

So are trip-wires just a line being strung between two points, or does it also have a mechanical functionality, like being tied to door handles?

I only play stable so i'll need to wait.

Would also like to adjust grenade placement, assuming the way it works currently is you have a wire and grenades attached to one end of the wire.  Would like to see maybe a bend so i could have a bouquet ala fallout somewhere other than the termination of the trip-wire.

Alarm system also would be good.  But was thinking about this the other day how SA doesn't generate empty cans, like the mod when you ate.  Sure you could gut a few cans of peaches but if you're just gonna tip them out on the ground for an alarm i'll stick to grenades or pots or something.

The tripwire is like, two sticks with a wire between them, you can't evne visualize exactly how they're placed (like a 'blueprint') so you're reduced to practice, trial & error.

Grenade placement would be nice...I just wouldn't sit on it haha, but i hope to be proved wrong.

And yeah about tin cans, that's the thing, i mean, hipothetically, if tin cans had the only one use, yeah it would actually be dissapointing, even more so considering the survival context.

Back in the Experimental branch forum I post the following in Exp Update: 0.59:

First of all you or any other player need to be more than 100 meters away from your trap.

Second it has a 120 seconds + 1 to 300 random seconds wait time so 7 minutes in total.

Third it decreases with 0.35 everytime you use it so maximum of 3 uses before it is ruined.

Fourth the percentage of succes is NOT random, it depends on the surface.

Boulders = 10 %, mud = 15 %, forest = 50 %, grass = 35 %, grit = 10 % and (next to a) stone road or something = 25 %.