Espa

Brother Espa's List of Desireable Changes

Bump!

Feel free to add more ideas! I'd love to hear more to add to the list!

Alright, what if instead of your more non-specific diseases and maladies, why not reduce the idea down to a single "Immunity" stat. Immunity can then be lowered by low levels of blood, hunger, thirst and fatigue.

As for weapons, Katana's aren't exactly appropriate for Europe, but there's room for more medieval weapons, such as longbows, battleaxes, spears/halberds and shields.

Harpoon gun, meh...It'd make a good defense mechanism for a base, but it's not very practical.

Traps need to be craftable from just about everything. Just need a whole bunch of trigger and attacking mechanisms that can be combined in a whole bunch of ways; e.g. A bike, a nail (trigger) and a bullet (attack mechanism) can be combined to, when triggered, shoot the round up through the seat when a player sits down.

As for weapons, Katana's aren't exactly appropriate for Europe, but there's room for more medieval weapons, such as longbows, battleaxes, spears/halberds and shields.

I agree completely here, the Katana doesn't really have a place in DayZ. Aside from the fact that it's from a different part of the world from where the game is set, it's not a very effective weapon. Contrary to popular belief Katanas are actually not very good, the design of the sword means that it must be either strong but too heavy to swing quickly or in complicated motions (so it's basically a cleaver), or light and quick but very weak (so it's basically a longer, less-balanced dagger, more for show than actual combat). There's a reason Katanas weren't actually used much on the battlefield except as a last resort. Katanas are also extremely fragile and break very easily compared to Western swords, meaning constant maintenance will be required. Furthermore if you're carrying a Katana on your back that takes up your melee slot, which could be used to carry an important tool like an axe or a shovel...the Katana has no real use except to look cool and to fight (poorly). Honestly I'd take a Splitting Axe over a Katana if they added it.

TL;DR Katanas don't belong in DayZ

The rest of your ideas were pretty good though, nice work with your post!

Edited by OnionOfShame
  • Like 2

-snip-

I love you, forever and always

Swords (of every type) , contrary to popular opinion, were only rarely used as a "main weapon" of war. The Romans were a good example, and even then, the sword-based Legions were heavily supplemented by spear-wielding Auxiliaries.. In literally almost every other culture, including medieval Europe and feudal Japan, the spear and the bow were the most common weapon on the battlefield, even by the professional warriors (knights and samurai).

Think of the spear and the bow like the modern assault rifle: cheap, readily available, used by everyone, and think of swords like the modern pistol: expensive, used as a backup weapon, pretty much to show how wealthy you are, and only really good for personal defense.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments and the ideas! As for the Katana, I laid it in the selection merely for MORE items to be found and to used - Not necessarily as the best type around, simply to add to variety.

Plus, we live in an universal world. It's not a ridiculous thought that before whatever war occurred here that someone bought one from Amazon.com and had it for show.

Also. . Even if it wasn't the greatest, I'd LOVE to go Kill Bill on someone or an Infected Lmao.

Even though anything is possible, I rather doubt that you'll find an Amazon delivered katana in a civil war suffering , post-Soviet state. ;) also it'd attract all dem weeaboos :p

Your idea with the AI controlled death squads, I really do not like. The only kind of human you encounter is this game should be controlled by humans, imo.

Your idea with the AI controlled death squads, I really do not like. The only kind of human you encounter is this game should be controlled by humans, imo.

I can understand where you're coming from! At the time when I wrote the idea, I was thinking of the PvE aspects of the game and just how 'safe' and 'free' you can feel if you just exit the cities and stay out in the deep wilderness. Now that I know that Predators are making their debut, I'm incredibly happy and know that this will become slightly harder.

I do think it'd be rather cool to have an alternative enemy to just Infected and Predatory Animals, however, and I thought it'd be pretty wild to have a smart group of 2-3 AI Soldiers occasionally along the roads, easily identifiable, and just another aspect to deliver the horror simulation that we all wish. Alas, it's Alpha, and it's truly up to the Devs. If it's not put it, it's nothing that would detract from the core.

Also, it could be easily be created by a Modder later on if He or She chooses :)

I've added in sections Fatigue and Atmospheric Horror Additions at the ideas presented by MrAerospace and ChrisTuds, respectively! Please let me know what you think! Comments, criticisms, and more ideas are always welcome.

I do think it'd be rather cool to have an alternative enemy to just Infected and Predatory Animals, however, and I thought it'd be pretty wild to have a smart group of 2-3 AI Soldiers occasionally along the roads, easily identifiable, and just another aspect to deliver the horror simulation that we all wish.

Also, it could be easily be created by a Modder later on if He or She chooses :)

It would add something, but once servers are working as they should and we ahve these >75 servers, this will be something not that unlikely to happen. ALso I wanted to mention that I really like the concept you put up for fatigue and relaxation, especially about the cigs and the beer and all that. ALmost nothing I'd like to add, except maybe something like a psychological health status or some shit. MAybe something that has minor effects on you and that changes by, I dunno, killing players and all that.

• Like 1

Thanks! I appreciate the comment! I do think it'd add a lot more depth and planning to how you act with your character and how it can influence many situations. Currently the endless ability to run from one edge of the map to the other (as long as you don't hit slopes) is a bit ridiculous.

As for the AI-CDC Death Squads, you're probably right that it won't be needed once there's full up 75 server pops and a struggle between a lot more resources - For building, say.

Also, the disorienting mental effects you're proposing are kind of an interesting idea. Can you expand on that a bit? I have a vague idea on where to go with this, but what were you thinking? :)

Also, stay tuned - Going to be adding a bit more today!

Edited by Espa

I've gone ahead and added in two new sections, More Injuries/Ailments and Right Hand/Left Hand!

Please comment and discuss this! I'd love to hear more ideas, criticism, or shoot me with an sks xD

If we're getting bears then I want a .44 mag revolver in game.

For obvious reasons. Make the ammo harder to get than .357 and the spawn rate about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Magnum and about 1.5 times the damage with about a .25 to .5 increase in recoil (N-Frame smith with a 6 in. barrel is quite heavy compared to a 6 inch Colt Python) and it should be fairly balanced.

Numbers used to find muzzle energy comparison...

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/357mag.html

Used Federal 125gr JHP out of a 6 inch barrel.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/44mag.html

Used Federal 240gr JHP out of a 6 inch barrel.

Both are fairly common loads for a .357 and a .44. Infact the .44 load is similar to the original designed by Elmer Keith (The father of the .44 Magnum).

Edited by Dchil
  • Like 1

Last call post :)

New Year post!

Having different types of treatments when handling your wounds for each part of body.

For example:

- Using torniquete for your arm for a period of time until it heals. Has to be visually seen.

- For head wounds I want to see a bandage wraped aroumd your head visually until it heals.

Just two examples but you catch my drift. Just using a bandage and voilla, you're good to go is just ridicilous for me, we need more versatile medical system.

Edited by Miracool
  • Like 2

I like the ideas about viewing the hands as separate, though this could become a bit cluncky in the interface and with hotkeys. I'm thinking about the following situations:

- flashlight in the left, pistol in the right hand -> put together to stabilize your pistol hand and have a flashlight at the same time. 

- binoculars in the left, lowered rifle in the right hand -> spot deer or enemies and either pick up the gun two-handed or keep observing, while being able to move with both

- gas lamp in the left hand, pistol in the right -> useful when you're securing buildings at night (I expect gamma can't be turned up any more, later in the development)

- key in the right hand, pistol in the left  -> unlock a base or a storage item without having to take down your guard completely

- tent in the left, pistol in the right hand -> don't be completely defenseless when you carry one med-sized item (barrels would still require both hands) 

- Fishing rod in the right hand, net in the left hand -> pull your fish out of the water and catch it with the net, instead of pulling it right into your inventory

I can see a hundred great uses for this idea. And I actually believe this would make a much better experience for a lot of things in the game. Stuns me I haven't thought about this ever, myself. You should go into game design, Espa! You think methodically and reflect on game mechanics and come up with meaningful ideas. Congratulations!

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Having different types of treatments when handling your wounds for each part of body.

For example:

- Using torniquete for your arm for a period of time until it heals. Has to be visually seen.

- For head wounds I want to see a bandage wraped aroumd your head visually until it heals.

Just two examples but you catch my drift. Just using a bandage and voilla, you're good to go is just ridicilous for me, we need more versatile medical system.

Just an FYI, Tourniquets don't actually "heal" anything, all they do is prevent blood flow through the limb. After you apply a tourniquet, you have to apply bandages, or more likely ( if tourniquets are needed to stop blood loss, the wound is probably pretty severe), sew up the blood vessels and the wound.

If you apply a tourniquet to a wound, wait for the blood to stop flowing, then take the tourniquet off, you are probably going to pass out and die from loss of blood pressure.

• Like 1

Just an FYI, Tourniquets don't actually "heal" anything, all they do is prevent blood flow through the limb. After you apply a tourniquet, you have to apply bandages, or more likely ( if tourniquets are needed to stop blood loss, the wound is probably pretty severe), sew up the blood vessels and the wound.

If you apply a tourniquet to a wound, wait for the blood to stop flowing, then take the tourniquet off, you are probably going to pass out and die from loss of blood pressure.

I'm aware of what tourniquet purpose is but at the moment some sticks and rags is basically the same, it was no more then example I gave. Would be nice to see body treatment different then just applying rags and stick on yourself and you're good. Beside all that, seeing them visually is quite important to me, not some magical mumbo jumbo :)

Edited by Miracool

I'm always sceptical about more medical functionality too, because I don't want to micro-manage a lot of different items when I get shot and bleed. I think there is a variety of things that isn't useful at this point (the vials and antiseptic, for example - only useful if you accidentially stitch yourself up). I also remember my America's Army Noob sessions when I would rather kill than heal a guy on my team, by giving him the wrong treatment; that suff can become quite unnerving and the "training" is dull an easily forgotten. As for injuries showing on the character or even through his animation - I would like that a lot. 

I would like to see the functionality of some items improved, though. For example - the defibrillator. Wouldn't it be cool if you could actually revive a character, if you manage to use the defibrillator successfully within a short timeframe after his death? It should not always be successful either, but at the moment he defib is little more than a much larger epi-pen.  

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I'm always sceptical about more medical functionality too, because I don't want to micro-manage a lot of different items when I get shot and bleed. I think there is a variety of things that isn't useful at this point (the vials and antiseptic, for example - only useful if you accidentially stitch yourself up). I also remember my America's Army Noob sessions when I would rather kill than heal a guy on my team, by giving him the wrong treatment; that suff can become quite unnerving and the "training" is dull an easily forgotten. As for injuries showing on the character or even through his animation - I would like that a lot. 

I would like to see the functionality of some items improved, though. For example - the defibrillator. Wouldn't it be cool if you could actually revive a character, if you manage to use the defibrillator successfully within a short timeframe after his death? It should not always be successful either, but at the moment he defib is little more than a much larger epi-pen.  

That also isn't what defibrillators are for. They don't actually "bring anyone back to life", they are used to restart the heart/ try to return it to proper rhythm when it stops beating/gets improper rhythm due to a heart attack. If they are dead, then they are dead

The devs should just straight-up remove defibs from the game. The chances of actually surviving a "heart attack"/ "arrhythmia" in a survival situation are slim to none.

Edited by Whyherro123

-Snip-

Well, I think there's a caveat that could be utilized within the current system of medical - Something to give it purpose.

As of now, when we inspect an unconscious/dead person, we check their pulse for information. Technically, wouldn't it be smart to allow the defibrillator to allow to change that status back to "Has a pulse, etc.."

Of course by doing this change, we would have to either slate a new design query for inspect when someone is DEAD DEAD - Or change the model of the character to be in a unique death pose (Which doesn't sound great) or make the character appear deeply contrasted (Perhaps GREY) to symbolize a corpse. 

-Snip-

I can see a hundred great uses for this idea. And I actually believe this would make a much better experience for a lot of things in the game. Stuns me I haven't thought about this ever, myself. You should go into game design, Espa! You think methodically and reflect on game mechanics and come up with meaningful ideas. Congratulations!

Hey man! Thanks for the support and glad you like that idea! I thought it seemed rather simple to allow players to do so and the amount of interactions - and scenarios - by adding this change are just so immense. I do hope a Dev will look it over!

Also, I've spoken on this a few times, but at the end of the week (Friday) I'm departing for more training in the USAF and to be placed overseas in either Japan or Prague, most likely, and won't be able to keep this post up. If anyone would like to do so - or even start a new thread - or a Moderator could take over also if they wished.

I'm going to update the title of this post to be Community's Mega-Thread of Desirable Changes!

Bump! Still here for a little while. Changing the title before I go - If it falls after that, I hope the knowledge is passed on :)

I like the idea of adrenaline, maybe if an animal or zombie is chasing you or a player has shot at you/ hit you. You get an adrenaline boost to max fatigue but it will drop at a much faster rate until you are tired or exhausted.

Helps you sprint away, no real bonus to actually being hit and groups of players probably won't use this to their advantage as it would decrease their energy faster and give away their location.

In the only circumstance where it is useful shots are already whizzing past.

• Like 1