Sign in to follow this  
jdizzy

Chain-link mail

A contemporary update of a classical armor. Crafted from bundles of chain-link, it could negate slashing damage dealt by blades. As far-fetched as it seems, it's somewhat viable. Besides, there's no stabbing animation which by-steps the argument of it having holes.

A contemporary update of a classical armor. Crafted from bundles of chain-link, it could negate slashing damage dealt by blades. As far-fetched as it seems, it's somewhat viable. Besides, there's no stabbing animation which by-steps the argument of it having holes.

There are .... plenty of "stabbing" animations, actually. Most of the knives are stabs.

EDIT: Besides, aren't chain-link fences (which I am assuming you are going to make the links from, considering how they are probably the most common source of equal-gauge metal wire available) made from mild steel? If so, a solid chop from a slashing weapon would cut through at least some of the links.... plus the maille would do fuck-all to stop bashing weapons, like hammers and firearm buttstocks.

Plus .... wouldn't chain-mail armor be rather heavy, for little reward? 

Edited by Whyherro123

Chain link fence wouldn't be very good armor.  A knife tip could easily slip through such a large opening, not to mention it would be really awkward to get it to fit properly.

I would like to see chain mail and plate armor. We already have the great helm (a typical plate armor helmet , one of the most defensive of its time against slashing and piercing) so why not make the whole outfit with the sword ? I think its already coming anyways , first it was the great sword now the great helm , I'm thinking breast plate is next :) ! Please developers and community , add plate armor and maille for role playing and bad assedry !!

Edit : you would never use chain link fence to make chain mail suits lol , it's special rings that are incredibly small holes , smaller than an arrow tip and mostly woven over eachother (not like you see in movies where you can see through one hole all the way to the flesh) . So IMO we SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO CRAFT THESE ITEMS , but they would be amazing to find in a museum or castle turned museum (take black Castle and turn it into a tourist attraction , featuring a loot spawn with recreated armor , which isn't replica armor BTW, this soawn would be rare much like the great sword and the protection agaisnt bullets would be less than that of a plate carrier vest (depending on bullet caliber) but would mostly be for role playing and choice of clothing .)!

Edited by Grapefruit kush

we SHOULD NOT ONLY BE ABLE TO CRAFT THESE ITEMS IF WE FEEL LIKE SPENDING A MONTH INGAME DOING IT

FIFY. Because it can be done, it jsut takes an age.

I would like to see chain mail and plate armor. We already have the great helm (a typical plate armor helmet , one of the most defensive of its time against slashing and piercing) so why not make the whole outfit with the sword ? I think its already coming anyways , first it was the great sword now the great helm , I'm thinking breast plate is next :) ! Please developers and community , add plate armor and maille for role playing and bad assedry !!

Edit : you would never use chain link fence to make chain mail suits lol , it's special rings that are incredibly small holes , smaller than an arrow tip and mostly woven over eachother (not like you see in movies where you can see through one hole all the way to the flesh) . So IMO we SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO CRAFT THESE ITEMS , but they would be amazing to find in a museum or castle turned museum (take black Castle and turn it into a tourist attraction , featuring a loot spawn with recreated armor , which isn't replica armor BTW, this soawn would be rare much like the great sword and the protection agaisnt bullets would be less than that of a plate carrier vest (depending on bullet caliber) but would mostly be for role playing and choice of clothing .)!

Yeah I'd like to see mail. Plate might be taking it a bit far. Mail worn with a great helm was pretty common in the 12th and 13th century, so mail actually makes more sense.

Should be very rare, of course, and only provide protection against melee and low velocity projectiles (bows, crossbows, maybe .380 and 9mm from range). Mail is also pretty heavy. It's not crazy heavy, and on its own doesn't impede movement, but carrying mail armour and a backpack full of gear might weigh you down a bit.

Chain link armour is a neat idea, but totally impractical. Honestly you'd probably be better off with cloth armour (like a gambeson). Could maybe combine a whole shit ton of rags to create cloth armour that is only mildly effective, isn't particularly light and also warms you up somewhat - creating either the danger of hyperthermia or the benefit of keeping you warmer in cold weather.