silverblade1233

Can u like.. make 1.8.7 be like 1.7.6.1 :D

Thx

What does this mean? There are a lot of ways to tweak a server one way or another. What do you miss from that patch that you cannot find in the current one?

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

It'd be best if you elaborated upon why you feel they should make it like that. 

• Like 2

The general consensus is that 1.7 > 1.8 was a massive improvement. I don't think the community devs have much interest in reverting.

Last time I checked there were a few servers running older versions of the mod if you need a nostalgia fix though. :)

The general consensus is that 1.7 > 1.8 was a massive improvement.

Is it really? Don't get me wrong, it could be, I'm just curious what source you base this statement on. Has there ever been a voting, or are the devs listening to just a few prominent regulars on here?

I can only speak for myself, bus as far as I'm concerned, I dislike many features introduced with the 1.8 series. Like automatic health regeneration and blood types. And something that unfortunately dominates the current development: More and more weapons and weaponry equipment. Oh, and I forgot base building. Stuff for the many high-tier bandit gangs, I guess...  :(

• Like 1

Is it really? Don't get me wrong, it could be, I'm just curious what source you base this statement on. Has there ever been a voting, or are the devs listening to just a few prominent regulars on here?

I can only speak for myself, bus as far as I'm concerned, I dislike many features introduced with the 1.8 series. Like automatic health regeneration and blood types. And something that unfortunately dominates the current development: More and more weapons and weaponry equipment. Oh, and I forgot base building. Stuff for the many high-tier bandit gangs, I guess...  :(

You can by all means run an old version, R4Z0R is good like that

• Like 1

You can by all means run an old version

Oh absolutely, I could! I'd probably do that if DayZ was a singleplayer game. But it's the opposite.

• Like 1

Based on my experiences here, in servers and talking with friends that play the mod - yes, the majority opinion is that PvE was far too easy previously and interestingly universal bloodbags and the ability to eat 2 cows for an instant boost to max HP were some of the main reasons for that. There wasn't really much to do aside from PvP once you'd got a grasp on the basic gameplay mechanics.

Most of the changes introduced in 1.8 onward are things that the community has been asking for since the beginning. :)

Edited by Mos1ey

Oh absolutely, I could! I'd probably do that if DayZ was a singleplayer game. But it's the opposite.

setup your own server

If you explain a little more what you find better in 1.7 over what you find in 1.8 it might help us all.

Alot of the changes have been made based on feedback by players from reddit/dayz forums/github and talking with players.

• Like 2

Thank you all for responding and giving opinions on this topic.

I honestly didn't think I would get any opinions at all.

In my opinion, the 1.8 version has changed DayZ mod hugely, in a way that myself and many others do not like.

For example, some things people do not like:

Why remove AS-50 and m107??? I mean like, I understand L85 AWS, that was OP.

Just make it more rare?!? Or even, make an option to enable or disable As-50 and m107 from the loot tables.

Eating simulator:

I read in the 1.8.7 rolling changelog there is a change in the nutrition system which makes me happy but without beta testing of 1.8.7 we can't be sure that this will actually make a difference.

One of my least favorite parts of dayz nowadays is the nutrition system. One of my new friends to dayz and I played on US 434 and we both died from hunger within the first hour... If you don't find a hatchet, hunting knife, AND matches in one of the spawn cities or a coastal town you're screwed in survival. Unless you get really lucky and find some food another way. Sure, the 1.7.6.1 nutrition system was bad too how you could last 45 minutes without having to drink + It would go all the way back up, but maybe change it how it was before but make food and water more rare. With this you can also implement fishing (not sure if this is in already, haven't found any fishing rods though) so players can use their environment to survive more.

Please, change the damn humanity system. For me, it's impossible to get even +5000 humanity when you can't even get humanity from killing bandits! And if a noob tries to kill you as a hero then what are you supposed to do?? Run?? No, maybe make a system where if the survivor is in combat/takes a shot towards a hero the hero won't lose any humanity if they kill the survivor.

Another thing, but not too important I dislike about 1.8 is the Debug monitor to the book. I guess it's kinda zombie like and cool but it's kind of annoying so again maybe make a choice for servers to have the old debug monitor or the new one. (If anyone knows how to do this already please tell me)

Lastly, please change the medical system back. I dislike how antibiotics are so rare, please increase them back up so it's a bit easier to find. Right now, it's literally only possible to find at the cherno/elektro hospital if you're super lucky. What am I supposed to do if i'm up north and infected? Herbal drinks don't even make sense and are unrealistic to real life. 

Also I don't really like the blood bag system even though it makes sense. A lot of people feel this way so if it's possible to give servers an option to make it how it was in 1.7 or 1.8 that would be EPIC!

I hope some people like how 1.7.6.1 was and even if you still play 1.8 dayz mod then please at least try 1.7.6.1 on this server: http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/188.165.250.22:2500/along with the other 10-20 people on who feel the way I do, especially if you have not played it back in 2012-2013.

Thank you.

Edited by silverblade1233

Like everyone is saying, you can always play older builds.  No one is forcing you to update and there are plenty of guides online to help walk you through setting up your own server with whatever version you want.

• Like 1

Yeah that is true sausage, this is my last post unless anyone has any questions. 

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY DAYZ 1.7.6.1 CHECK OUT OUR SERVER @ https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/188.165.250.22:2500/

edit: 17 people on today :)

• Like 1

For me i don't mind if you play 1.7 or 1.8 they are both are community editions.  :D

Your biggest issue seems to be the nutrition system in 1.8 something you can disable as a server admin (dayz_nutritionValuesSystem = false; //Enables nutrition system)

Debug menu can be added as an admin, 3 sec job if you include the time it takes to type it in google.

Humanity - has had a good few changes not saying its going to be easy but still its changed and will continue to change.
Bloodbags - Really isn't a big issue and maybe at some point we can enable/disable them like we do with nutrition now we have a preset system in place. (something we will do at some stage)

Outside of them 2(bloodbags & humanity) issues the only other one you bring up is the 50cals two weapons the community agreed needed to be removed due to the OP of each one. 

I must admit i do get a chuckle out of these post's over the years.  :P

For me i don't mind if you play 1.7 or 1.8 they are both are community editions.  :D

Your biggest issue seems to be the nutrition system in 1.8 something you can disable as a server admin (dayz_nutritionValuesSystem = false; //Enables nutrition system)

Debug menu can be added as an admin, 3 sec job if you include the time it takes to type it in google.

Humanity - has had a good few changes not saying its going to be easy but still its changed and will continue to change.

Bloodbags - Really isn't a big issue and maybe at some point we can enable/disable them like we do with nutrition now we have a preset system in place. (something we will do at some stage)

Outside of them 2(bloodbags & humanity) issues the only other one you bring up is the 50cals two weapons the community agreed needed to be removed due to the OP of each one. 

I must admit i do get a chuckle out of these post's over the years.  :P

When you say I can disable the nutrition system will this remove it entirely, make it how it was in 1.7, or use the same hud it uses but make it like go all the way up when you eat and drink?

Thanks

Thanks for listening and caring, R4Z0R49. Modding Arma II to the degree DayZ does it must be hard work, and it's much appreciated in principle. Many small changes made since 1.7 are great! Just a few big ones changed the game to the worse for me and perhaps for others, too. (The problem is that we might not find out about all those many people who have long quit playing the mod...)

Many of the things I'm going to write below I've mentioned earlier elsewhere (here on the forums mostly), so forgive me if I repeat myself. Allow me to explain a little more:

1. The humanity balance problem. This is directly coupled to the blood type system. It has always been easier to become a bandit than a hero. That's good. But it has always been too easy to go down the negative humanity spiral. The vast majority of players will kill a few others before realizing that this might have a permanent impact on how others perceive them. By then, it's already too late. Humanity is so low they'll never get out of it any more. So what do they do then, if not quit playing? Continue killing on sight. Since blood types have been introduced, this has become much worse. It's impossible to gain enough humanity for a medic/hero within an amount of time a normal player can invest in a computer game. It takes a tremendous effort to find the equipment needed (blood test kits, blood bags with correct type, transfusion kits) even for me, and I know very well where to look. It also takes much more inventory space, which is nowadays needed for many other items (more food items needed, many new objects introduced).

2. Auto health regeneration. I've liked it better when you couldn't just run and wait. That feels so "casual". Many players I've met wouldn't even accept a blood transfusion any more. They'll just say they'll go hide until their blood has restored automatically. You say that healing yourself instantly by eating two cows is too easy? I agree! Let's make health regen work slowly after you've eaten something! One of my best memories of old DayZ is when I had do crawl through forests to the next village up north, with broken legs and very bad vision from low hp, hoping to find something to eat to restore my health.

3. Weapons. Hell, I'm glad the AS50 and similar OP weapons are gone! DayZ is not about long-range killing for me. In this regard, I strongly disagree with silverblade1233. But weapon attachments/mods aren't for me either. I don't know, perhaps weapons aren't enough of a fetish for me to like the new system.  :)  I just think it's unnecessary and makes things more complicated than needed. There are enough weapons to find in the game. In fact, I'd reduce the amount of high-end weaponry quite a bit. They just make the strong ones stronger, and make the weak ones weaker and suffer more. And then never play the game again. :( Aside from that, finding individual weapon attachments but not any weapon nearby feels very unrealistic.

4. Base building. I don't care much about that, I don't use it. It's just that again it makes the pros even stronger. They've now got a "save zone" where they can store and pile their stuff. And when they die, they'll just go to their base to reequip and enter the fight again. Plus, I don't like barricaded hot spots on the map, which are then reserved to the regulars. Some servers have whole buildings or blocks barricaded. That's lame. Ideally, nothing in the game should be safe from being accessed by others, in my opinion.

This is how I feel. I know, many of the users here are very active and highly experienced players. I'm worried that the current development is tailored only to them, and most occasional players, which are so crucial for the game, are left out.

To those suggesting to host or play on a 1.7 server, I would like to say that they've probably misunderstood me when I wrote that DayZ is the opposite of a singleplayer game. For me, the whole point in playing DayZ, aside from the awesome survival part, is interacting with strangers (just observing them from a distance counts as interaction, too!). So playing with the ever same like 30 pros or so who are knowing about an old version and are willing to play it instead of the much more visible current version, is not an option. The truth is that many servers run the latest version, because it's the latest, and most people just upgrade to the latest version, because it's the latest and because most servers run on the latest.

EDIT: typos.

Edited by RomanZ
  • Like 1

True, it's kind of a pain to have to revert to that and plus the server hosts dont have an option so i dont even know how these guys did it but it's awesome

Thanks for listening and caring, R4Z0R49. Modding Arma II to the degree DayZ does it must be hard work, and it's much appreciated in principle. Many small changes made since 1.7 are great! Just a few big ones changed the game to the worse for me and perhaps for others, too. (The problem is that we might not find out about all those many people who have long quit playing the mod...)

Many of the things I'm going to write below I've mentioned earlier elsewhere (here on the forums mostly), so forgive me if I repeat myself. Allow me to explain a little more:

1. The humanity balance problem. This is directly coupled to the blood type system. It has always been easier to become a bandit than a hero. That's good. But it has always been too easy to go down the negative humanity spiral. The vast majority of players will kill a few others before realizing that this might have a permanent impact on how others perceive them. By then, it's already too late. Humanity is so low they'll never get out of it any more. So what do they do then, if not quit playing? Continue killing on sight. Since blood types have been introduced, this has become much worse. It's impossible to gain enough humanity for a medic/hero within an amount of time a normal player can invest in a computer game. It takes a tremendous effort to find the equipment needed (blood test kits, blood bags with correct type, transfusion kits) even for me, and I know very well where to look. It also takes much more inventory space, which is nowadays needed for many other items (more food items needed, many new objects introduced).

2. Auto health regeneration. I've liked it better when you couldn't just run and wait. That feels so "casual". Many players I've met wouldn't even accept a blood transfusion any more. They'll just say they'll go hide until their blood has restored automatically. You say that healing yourself instantly by eating two cows is too easy? I agree! Let's make health regen work slowly after you've eaten something! One of my best memories of old DayZ is when I had do crawl through forests to the next village up north, with broken legs and very bad vision from low hp, hoping to find something to eat to restore my health.

3. Weapons. Hell, I'm glad the AS50 and similar OP weapons are gone! DayZ is not about long-range killing for me. In this regard, I strongly disagree with silverblade1233. But weapon attachments/mods aren't for me either. I don't know, perhaps weapons aren't enough of a fetish for me to like the new system.  :)  I just think it's unnecessary and makes things more complicated than needed. There are enough weapons to find in the game. In fact, I'd reduce the amount of high-end weaponry quite a bit. They just make the strong ones stronger, and make the weak ones weaker and suffer more. And then never play the game again. :( Aside from that, finding individual weapon attachments but not any weapon nearby feels very unrealistic.

4. Base building. I don't care much about that, I don't use it. It's just that again it makes the pros even stronger. They've now got a "save zone" where they can store and pile their stuff. And when they die, they'll just go to their base to reequip and enter the fight again. Plus, I don't like barricaded hot spots on the map, which are then reserved to the regulars. That's lame. Ideally, nothing in the game should be safe from being accessed by others, in my opinion.

This is how I feel. I know, many of the users here are very active and highly experienced players. I'm worried that the current development is tailored only to them, and most occasional players, which are so crucial for the game, are left out.

To those suggesting to host or play on a 1.7 server, I would like to say that they've probably misunderstood me when I wrote that DayZ is the opposite of a singleplayer game. For me, the whole point in playing DayZ, aside from the awesome survival part, is interacting with strangers (just observing them from a distance counts as interaction, too!). So playing with the ever same like 30 pros or so who are knowing about an old version and are willing to play it instead of the much more visible current version, is not an option. The truth is that many servers run the latest version, because it's the latest, and most people just upgrade to the latest version, because it's the latest and because most servers run on the latest.

EDIT: typos.

I agree with you but I don't see why people shouldn't play the old version.

The 1.7 server i currently play on is doing a lot of work right now to make it less buggy and add some cool stuff/fix it. The admins are sweet. New players come everyday. It's not just the old pros, people come by too.

At least come check it out if you miss the old days, its awesome.

Thanks!

@sliverblade that is the idea anyway.

@romanz.

Again humanity is somthing that will change all the time to get how we wont the system to work. Its a slow going process while we work on new systems to find ways around arma limits.

Auto health is based on player condition ie food/water/status.

Weapons under the new loot system we could add 500 new weapons it don't mean your going to see an increase in weapons spawning just the verity of them. Alot of the new.ones you see being added now are to balance out some of the old ones and in some cases getting ready to remove others all together to help fit the theme more.

Base building was an experiment to see how the days community would handle it. Witch has since been removed for the next patch.

As for updates nonsence if ppl wont somthing they will find a way no matter what we do.

Ps thanks for feedback. Our long term plan is to offer both classic/vanilla and hardcore gameplay with the same updated codebase your admins will just need to select the preset.

• Like 2

Base building was an experiment to see how the days community would handle it. Witch has since been removed for the next patch.

This makes me sad :(  I just got back into dayzmod and really like the implementation of this, simple, pretty and just enough to keep me interested long term.  Not as much work as Epoch (see http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/468683616268494603/E1F42A5C4D49C4BFADF009FA4624B654FCA70C2C/)  Its a great way to band strangers together. 

This makes me sad :(  I just got back into dayzmod and really like the implementation of this, simple, pretty and just enough to keep me interested long term.  Not as much work as Epoch (see http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/468683616268494603/E1F42A5C4D49C4BFADF009FA4624B654FCA70C2C/)  Its a great way to band strangers together. 

we are not getting the feedback we need to continue with the base systems so for us its simpler to remove for now.

• Like 1

we are not getting the feedback we need to continue with the base systems so for us its simpler to remove for now.

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised."  Is there a place noting what type of feedback you're looking for?  Apologies just back into the fold and not sure if this was covered somewhere else.

For what's it worth here's my opinion overall of the mod, after putting in about 1000 hours of dayzmod (and it's iterations),  without something long term to strive for it's tough to want to engage in anything but banditry/quick deathmatch.  Which gets tired quickly (for me atleast, if i wanted to do that i'd engage in something with quicker gunplay).  The changes i've seen from 1.7 to 1.8.6 (the time period i left and came back), added more of a survival feel (crafting of stuff), resource management has become a bigger priorioty and health/death has become more involved (good thing, having a char that is sick or ailing makes the best experience).

Not having a 1000 weapons and 500 cars makes the experience enjoyable, adding a wooden fence to store med supplies and band together is great.  The jump to 1.8 seems like it was what i was looking for when i stopped the mod really.

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised."  Is there a place noting what type of feedback you're looking for?  Apologies just back into the fold and not sure if this was covered somewhere else.

For what's it worth here's my opinion overall of the mod, after putting in about 1000 hours of dayzmod (and it's iterations),  without something long term to strive for it's tough to want to engage in anything but banditry/quick deathmatch.  Which gets tired quickly (for me atleast, if i wanted to do that i'd engage in something with quicker gunplay).  The changes i've seen from 1.7 to 1.8.6 (the time period i left and came back), added more of a survival feel (crafting of stuff), resource management has become a bigger priorioty and health/death has become more involved (good thing, having a char that is sick or ailing makes the best experience).

Not having a 1000 weapons and 500 cars makes the experience enjoyable, adding a wooden fence to store med supplies and band together is great.  The jump to 1.8 seems like it was what i was looking for when i stopped the mod really.

For now any kind of feedback on details about the mod how you finding all the aspects of each section. The base building is only removed from the stable branch until such time we get more info from ppl testing on the build/destruction elements of the walls. It seems to be causing too much trouble and we are getting very little info back we just don't have the time to keep guessing the issue.