Sign in to follow this  
jefc_uk

Sudden death! Bug, presumably

Wandering around Novo, miding my own business, on a server with 4 other people, none of whom I have seen. They might have seen me, but I'd only been on for maybe 10 minutes so it's fairly unlikely. Just healthily walking along a flat bit of pavement in front of a building looking for an interesting building to loot and then 'You are dead'. Didn't go unconscious first at all.

Definitely a bug? Have never had similar experience before.

Actually, if your connection lagged right as someone sniped you, that's what you would get. A friend recently lost connection for a few seconds as he was running up to a guy to talk to him. All my friend saw was a guy running into a fence, looked like he was desyncing. My friend started to talk to the guy, then all of a sudden black screen and dead. We assume what happened is he lost connection and the guy guy he was trying to talk to who looked like he was just running into a wall actually shot him while he was timing out.

Actually, if your connection lagged right as someone sniped you, that's what you would get. A friend recently lost connection for a few seconds as he was running up to a guy to talk to him. All my friend saw was a guy running into a fence, looked like he was desyncing. My friend started to talk to the guy, then all of a sudden black screen and dead. We assume what happened is he lost connection and the guy guy he was trying to talk to who looked like he was just running into a wall actually shot him while he was timing out.

Could be something like that yeah. I had a glowplug and some nice guns. Never even got to shoot or drive...

A few people reported this now so i guess it actually is a bug.

It is very unlikely that someone sniped him on a server with 4 people connected, however its possible.

• Like 1

The server does the bullet-fire-hit calculation and sends the "you are dead" instruction and the "play shot sound instruction" Because games run on UDP (the fastest tx/rx info protocol) you might not get these instructions in the right order, or just might not get them the first time they are sent.. that's exactly what makes UDP so fast. Too much build up of instructions to your PC means some will be dropped so the game can keep moving.

The Server is still sending that you are dead but it doesnt send the "play the shot sound" any more.

I've been sniped dead and not heard a shot, in front of witnesses who heard the shot, and I heard them moving after the event.

Boneboys says around here somewhere that he can fly a copter in an Arma3 scenario at ping 120+ with no problems and DayZ will be up at this standard soon - I don't see any reason to disbelieve him, so I dunno if you can really say a missing gunshot sound is a "lag" problem ... 

xx

I have a stranger story on this , 4 of us were riding in a truck and we dropped one guy off in Kamenka  to loot wile we went back to  Komarovo to pick up a dropped gun, half way back to our guy in Kamenka he said some one is logging in right in front of him so i looked at the players list and saw that we were the only ones on the server , just then the driver said shot him and our guy did so and then the driver slumped over the wheel dead from a head shot the truck rolled to a stop and the body disappeared from the truck and in  Kamenka where the other  guy who got shot in  the head with a 45 pistol also disappeared.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob

I have a stranger story on this , 4 of us were riding in a truck and we dropped one guy off in Kamenka  to loot wile we went back to  Komarovo to pick up a dropped gun, half way back to our guy in Kamenka he said some one is logging in right in front of him so i looked at the players list and saw that we were the only ones on the server , just then the driver said shot him and our guy did so and then the driver slumped over the wheel dead from a head shot the truck rolled to a stop and the body disappeared from the truck and in  Kamenka where the other  guy who got shot in  the head with a 45 pistol also disappeared.

Wow!

Haven't seen anything that weird yet... We had one issue where a guy was unconscious and stood up to a crouch... Made one of the guys think it was the guy who killed him "and took all his stuff." Ended up shooting him...

not sure if that was lag related or not... Just a weird event.

My friend lagged out in Novaya Petrovka running against the double gate beside the Police Station, he was there on his screen, but not on mines. After a good period of searching and him subsequently recieving the "You are dead" message I eventually found his body. He had seemingly ran directly through the gate, across the road, through a building and another fence and crumpled in a heap. By the time I found his body, it was quite funny so I took a second to screenshot the location, his body despawned in front of my eyes a split second AFTER I hit F12, his fully decked M4 which had been through a few wars gone with it.

I've seen some pretty weird deaths in my time playing, but that one was the best so far.