DrStone

What changed with DayZ?

This is the easiest I have ever found the game for weapons and survival. I've never managed to get a fully working m4 or steyer and I've somehow found the two to double carry at the moment. It is ridiculous how many people are actually going around with this stuff. Two days ago I had a mosin, maggie and shotty. Today I have the assault rifles above with 3 double mags and am energised, hydrated and healthy! While the rest-bite is somewhat enjoyable for in-between patches, I can't help but feel it all came too easily! I'm like a one man army at the moment!

I have seen a few of these comments and if you are really saying this patch is the easiest it has been to find guns and gear you did not play the previous 2-3 patches. Last patch you could find any gun and all attachments at a guard house. Now that is NOT what I want, but at the same time when I go to the NW air field on 10 different servers and the only gear is boots, vest, and the SKS that does not seem like the high end gear that is worth the risk.

Yes you can use the glitches in the officers tent to spawn all kinds of good stuff, but that is a glitch not what the properly operating game should be.

I guess the root cause of the boredom is the lack of players to interact with. Like I said to begin with I love DayZ and what it was, but it has lost "something" and I'm not sure I can even define it.

For those that love to garden, fish, and hunt that is cool man do your thing. I don't think any of that should be taken away, but at the same time do you really thing its that fun to play on a 75 person server where there are only 5 active players out in the woods being isolationist? That is not fun to me, seems like you might as well just play a solo game not a multiplayer game. I want the player interaction and trying to brainstorm ways to get people back.

As for "this has always been the direction of the game" no, no it has not. When I got the game (day one of alpha) Rocket was running the show, and he was all over the place on what DayZ was going to be (good 'ol Rocket so much un-bridaled energy). As things have progressed the direction has progressed, and I have easily got my money's worth so no complaints. I just miss the way I used to feel about DayZ.

For the record I'm not a COD kid. I never played COD and I am far from a kid, I have a wife and kids of my own. :)

I have seen a few of these comments and if you are really saying this patch is the easiest it has been to find guns and gear you did not play the previous 2-3 patches. Last patch you could find any gun and all attachments at a guard house. Now that is NOT what I want, but at the same time when I go to the NW air field on 10 different servers and the only gear is boots, vest, and the SKS that does not seem like the high end gear that is worth the risk.

Yes you can use the glitches in the officers tent to spawn all kinds of good stuff, but that is a glitch not what the properly operating game should be.

I guess the root cause of the boredom is the lack of players to interact with. Like I said to begin with I love DayZ and what it was, but it has lost "something" and I'm not sure I can even define it.

For those that love to garden, fish, and hunt that is cool man do your thing. I don't think any of that should be taken away, but at the same time do you really thing its that fun to play on a 75 person server where there are only 5 active players out in the woods being isolationist? That is not fun to me, seems like you might as well just play a solo game not a multiplayer game. I want the player interaction and trying to brainstorm ways to get people back.

As for "this has always been the direction of the game" no, no it has not. When I got the game (day one of alpha) Rocket was running the show, and he was all over the place on what DayZ was going to be (good 'ol Rocket so much un-bridaled energy). As things have progressed the direction has progressed, and I have easily got my money's worth so no complaints. I just miss the way I used to feel about DayZ.

For the record I'm not a COD kid. I never played COD and I am far from a kid, I have a wife and kids of my own. :)

Sorry, there was a term of what, two/three weeks? where the lootsplosions were an issue but I considered that a glitch more than feature really. And the Guard houses never provided helicopter or proper military gear. Best I ever got from them was an ak-74. This patch you just go to one of these locations or kill pretty much any players who isn't a bambi to gear up and you are sorted.

And no, I don't use glitches. To be fair I didn't even know about the quonset hut being glitched until it was mentioned in the status report on the 15th! I don't actively look for glitches so I generally don't come across them. Also, since I'm a solo player, I generally don't visit no man's land NWAF unless I'm in the area and really feeling brave.

Imo, survival is just quite poor right now.

Canned food is still too good to bother with anything else. You can craft improvised stone knife in the first minutes after spawn and that's all you need to open canned food.

Picking apples and berries, which is one of the favourite activities of all the survival fans, is broken as fuk and I really hope that eventually it will have a different mechanic. Currently a single apple tree has infinite amount of food  - so hardcore.

Gardening can eventually become fun, but only if we won't have to find a special tool just for making holes in the ground. Why not use a stick and your bare hands? It will take much longer but should be possible. Same with watering plants. In theory I should be able to carry some water in my hands or just increase the spawn of empty plastic bottles ffs. They should be easy to find, right?

Fishing is quite fine, but having to find or craft a fishing hook can be annoying at times. On top of that I'd like to have an option to dig for worms using a sharp stick. I don't care if it takes longer or has a smaller chance of success, it's still better than running around and looking for a hoe or similar tool.

Hunting is just bad. Animal locations seem to be quite random. Just the other day I've encountered a herd of cows wandering on the starting trip of an airfield. I guess they came to eat some tasty concrete. There is no tracking and animal soundds are too quiet to be usefull.

Anyway: both fishing and farming are more reliable. Why not make leather more important? How about using it to make extra pockets for your clothing? Grab some leather, sewing kit and upgrade your 4 slot pants to 6 or even more slots. Similar with jackets, vests.

• Like 3

I don't think that a survivalist game must mean recreating the "Amish Paradise". In fact, I imagine interactions will only increase once you give them some meaning other than fight. When you have a bad case of diarrhea and are willing to trade your Winchester ammo for antibiotics, that's when real and meaningful contacts can come to play.

I remember at one of the first iterations of CLE (.53?), I ran into a high-pop private server which was almost completely barren. I swear I looted almost every building in Chernaya Polana only to find a hammer, a duct tape and an apple. This meant two things for me: 1) now I have an incentive to trade (usually I don't, because I neither particularly need nor can offer military issue and other stuff is abundant), 2) I don't really have to worry about KOSers, because even if you do have a gun on your back, you're very unlikely to have it loaded (I had several packs of various ammo and a bow, no gun).

I sincerely hope this is the direction the game will take and as far as I read about it, it will. Spawned stuff must be super rare in order to force you to hunt/scavenge/trade, so you can expect it only to be seriously cut down.

As SniperV says, survival right now is both undeveloped and unnecessary. If it doesn't stop being both in the final release, I will feel the devs have failed to deliver on their promise.

• Like 1

Idk what changed, but something definetly changed, i agree. Loot is not the issue i believe. Player base changed i think, coz nowdays i see like 1 dude in a couple of days whos just fooling around dayZ while having fun and trying to find friendlies to chill with. Majority of players have groups thats have set up camps outside the map stashing theyre loot and trucks there. What makes worse some server admins (not gonna mention witch server) are dupping shit themselves, ive seen it with my own eyes. Thats maybe what changed, but maybe i just getting tired of this game since i logged 900+ hours in it now. One more thing that making me very sad is the changes they did to berezino, and when i saw they're future plans for cherno i was like, why? Even the devs say chernogorsk is one of the most iconic cities in chernarus, so why are you trying to change it? Its not gonna be the same old Chernogorsk then anymore, i would put like a petition against changing the main cities, but i dont really now where to put it. All people i play with are also very negative about berezino change and incoming cherno change, it would be ni8ce to know what are your guys opinion on the matter is

-snip-

I don't know, man, I happen to love, love,  LOVE the "new" Berenzino. It actually looks (well, looked) like a place where people actually lived. The "old" (Arma II) cities looked...... sterile. 

You're only finding boots, vests, and an SKS' because of server hoppers.  It is not the loot system that is the problem.  You can see this on a private hive as you can find a number of AK's and attachments when you don't have hundreds of people hopping server to server so they can go back to the coast to kill fresh spawns (sorry but this is the main player group that hops).  The public hive is going to need a much more radical loot respawn system to accommodate that type of player if that is what the devs want to cater to while keeping mostly the current system for private hives.  IMO, no one should be allowed to hop endlessly until they have enough gear to jack off while murdering people with no gear.  A hop limit needs to be set. I entirely support the ten minute login timer we had at the start of Alpha.  These kids abuse the system because they can.  A deterrent needs to be set immediately.   We all know it occurs and the simple 69 second limit currently set does nothing to limit them.  That doesn't even account for dupers who obviously hop until they have what they need and dupe the rest for their crew.

Obviously that quonset hut glitch will get fixed but it will do little to deter the hoppers or esp hackers.  I don't think normal players are getting bored, I think mindless PvP people who expect easy guns, and people who think zombies come first in this game, are getting bored while people who want to play the game are dealing with too many jerks duping or hopping.  This has never meant to be the game for them.  Most of them think Epoch is DayZ anyway.   You can see this clearly by the many absurd Frankie's Exile threads.

You're only finding boots, vests, and an SKS' because of server hoppers.  It is not the loot system that is the problem.  You can see this on a private hive as you can find a number of AK's and attachments when you don't have hundreds of people hopping server to server so they can go back to the coast to kill fresh spawns (sorry but this is the main player group that hops).  The public hive is going to need a much more radical loot respawn system to accommodate that type of player if that is what the devs want to cater to while keeping mostly the current system for private hives.  IMO, no one should be allowed to hop endlessly until they have enough gear to jack off while murdering people with no gear.  A hop limit needs to be set. I entirely support the ten minute login timer we had at the start of Alpha.  These kids abuse the system because they can.  A deterrent needs to be set immediately.   We all know it occurs and the simple 69 second limit currently set does nothing to limit them.  That doesn't even account for dupers who obviously hop until they have what they need and dupe the rest for their crew.

Obviously that quonset hut glitch will get fixed but it will do little to deter the hoppers or esp hackers.  I don't think normal players are getting bored, I think mindless PvP people who expect easy guns, and people who think zombies come first in this game, are getting bored while people who want to play the game are dealing with too many jerks duping or hopping.  This has never meant to be the game for them.  Most of them think Epoch is DayZ anyway.   You can see this clearly by the many absurd Frankie's Exile threads.

One character per server. Would it really be bad?

Server hopping is one of the main reasons why I exclusively stick to private hives. Tents, cars, loot doesn't teleport from server to server, so why can our characters do that?

Just like you mentioned, loot on private hives looks much different than on public ones.

One character per server. Would it really be bad?

Server hopping is one of the main reasons why I exclusively stick to private hives. Tents, cars, loot doesn't teleport from server to server, so why can our characters do that?

Just like you mentioned, loot on private hives looks much different than on public ones.

Grouped public hives; maybe groups ranging from five to twenty different servers would appropriately empower legitimate players to police hoppers on their public turf?