Zurvivalist

Stamina

Simple formula and idea 
Sprinting X distance tires you 

Forced reduction into Jog

Jog for X distance tires you more 

Forced reduction into walk. 

Fuels off Stamina meter +Energy meter 

Stopping to sit and rest (F3) recovers stamina over time. 

Other poses ( prone, crouch,standing) recover stamina at different rates. 
Too low of Stamina + Energy = results in passing out 

Higher weight penalty on large items in inventory increases stamina consumption 

So you can no longer toggle sprint across the map with a inventory full of car batteries , weapons and gear. 

Pros : Long distance travel requires more forethought , Vehicles gain an increased value beyond , just convenience. 

Food and water consumption needs to be the lowest when you walk so walking 1km consumes less than jogging and sprinting. Currently jogging is the most effective.

Walking is also bad currently because you get cold. Having a lot of of stuff with you will make you warm and sweat even if you "only walk" this is also one reasen why jogging and sprinting is currently prefered.

You can currently outrun zombies easily. This needs to be changed. Having a lot of stuff with you should only let you sprint couple seconds IF you have full stamina, before reduced to jogging and that way you are tired very quickly. Zombies shouldn't have stamina.

Punishing stamina system also let's you change back aimimg down the sights and crouching default speeds. It's not good that you're forced to hold shift if you want to move any faster than walking speed.

Walking speed could have one additional only a bit faster mode or make the current very calm bit faster. Not much faster.

Slower speed makes the game world much bigger and walking should be the prefered mode unless you're fighting for your life. I could imagine dropping your backpack only so you can save yourself from a tough situation or leaving it at the edge of a town so you can fight better against zombies inside.

Exactly . simple changes to the movement and adding stamina and weight `opens the game world and makes things much larger and further away. Ideally it should take several hours to travel from one side of the map to the other on foot, which would of course result in many more chances for action situations to happen . I would personally also suggestion a reduction in vehicle speeds as well , the current V3S tops out at around 80kmph this is too fast in my opinion , for one , high speeds add more work for the server and client, desync and such , as well as reducing the overall scale of the map. Messing around with cars in Arma 3 I've found maxing them out at a top speed of 50 to 60 mph with an avg of around 30-40mph is ideal (avg speeds was around 100mph+). Same should be true in DayZ 

Also , form what I have tested and discovered with in my own modding. A forced reduction to player travel speed opens a lot more doors than it closes. As an example on my A2 and now A3 mod I replaced the current standard of running zombies with walkers. That change by itself was un balanced , Walkers where too easy to avoid, But by reducing player movement speeds, and limiting avail ammo supplies , Those slower higher number zeds which use up far less system requirements and put a end to nearly all collision and clipping issues , actually become a much higher threat level than the current norm. 

I now avg 50+ walkers per horde , per spawn mark. So a small town can now easily handle 25-50 walking zombies with out effecting performance beyond the players GPU .Which then in turn allowed me to adjust other settings such as trigger radius and duration  to give the illusion of persistent zombies .

• Like 1

I like your idea but a system similar to that from ARK actually makes a lot of sense as well.

• There are a few different movement modes:
    • Mode 0-1: Resting/standing still = Speed x0
    • Mode 2: Crawling/crouching/walking = Speed x0.2/x0.5/x1
    • Mode 3: Jogging/trotting = Speed x1.5/x2
    • Mode 4: Sprinting = Speed x4
  • Your stamina and energy drain is based on your current movement mode (0-4).
  • Trotting is a special movement mode than can only be reached gradually through jogging. Basically, your speed gradually increases while jogging until you eventually reach a trot. If you go to any other movement mode (e.g. resting, sprinting, walking, etc.) you lose your "trot" status.
  • Jogging and trotting have the same caloric and stamina requirements.
  • You can only sprint or jog while stamina > 0.
  • Current stamina, energy and movement mode dictate your rate of stamina regain.
    • Resting - maximum stamina regain.
    • Standing still - normal stamina regain.
    • Walking - very slow stamina regain.
    • Jogging/trotting - slow stamina drain.
    • Sprinting - super fast stamina drain.
  • ​No passing out when stamina is low.
  • (Temporary) passing out when energy is low.
  • Heart attack when hydration is low.

I feel like this is slightly more realistic. When you are jogging long distances occasionally you will eventually hit a "groove" where you can run pretty quickly for a long period of time. Sometimes you may walk to regain your breath and then start jogging again. People can walk almost indefinitely. The main blockers are dehydration and foot injuries.

I would personally also suggestion a reduction in vehicle speeds as well , the current V3S tops out at around 80kmph this is too fast in my opinion , for one , high speeds add more work for the server and client, desync and such , as well as reducing the overall scale of the map. Messing around with cars in Arma 3 I've found maxing them out at a top speed of 50 to 60 mph with an avg of around 30-40mph is ideal (avg speeds was around 100mph+).

I partially agree with this. Chernarus is small compared to Altis. I play on an A3 Chernarus server and you can get across the whole map in a couple minutes. It is very easy to find player camps and if I am playing in a group we can pretty much grief the entire server quite easily. That being said, I love fast ground vehicles (120kmh) and very slow flying vehicles.

Edited by scriptfactory

I hope before they add stamina they add more vehicles and/or more places on the map. Walking over a gigantic field of nothing for 30 minutes is gonna be quite boring.