Jakwesley

10 FPS lol surely I can get better

Before people start slagging I know my system is bad I've got a asus m32 series with an updated graphics card Gforce nvidia gtx 750. 8gb ram

This system is only for now I'm holding out for a steam box when they eventually come out.

Big cities I lag like mad 10 FPS.

I've watched loads of tutorials for graphics settings etc can't seem to find he right one. Any ideas would be much appreciated

Try killing nvxdsync.exe in the process tab in task manager, you have to show processes from all users and I believe be running under an administrator windows login. It's the sync process for the shield tablet and not needed if you don't have the tablet. There's another one for windows media player sharing on a home network that's a killer also but I disabled it long ago and don't remember what it's called. 

My system is 6-7 years old and I'm used to playing in the low to mid teens but if I leave that process running Im down to the low single digits with huge freezes.

There isn't much to do. This is how ArmA works sadly. They said performance will be significantly improved once the new renderer comes out. I have a good 60-50 fps rate but when I am in or I look towards electro I'm down to 30-20. If you want a better experience you'll need a better PC.

Before you cry foul for lack of optimization, or worse, start upgrading hardware, make sure your system is physically clean.  I recently went down the rabbit hole of new Vcard and putting system and apps on SSDs, but only saw temporary and marginal gains.  I reinstalled windows four times on three different, out of the box, solid state drives, even letting some Indian dude from MS support remote access my rig.  I was getting failure to boot issues, and had to replace the charging jack (finally) in my laptop that had been dead for a year, so I could make a boot disk to run Memtest86.  When I ran memtest, it would power down my rig after five to seven minutes.  At this point, I realized that four years was maybe too long to have never fully disassembled my rig, down to a MOBO in a case; my thermal paste was all dried and the heat sink came off with far too little effort.  After a couple hours of careful and thorough cleaning, I discovered my PSU was dead; I did the jumper test.  My intermittent history of BSODs was likely caused by neglecting the conditions of two basic components; the PSU, and the CPU cooler.

Long story short: My CPU radiator was clogged behind the fan,despite regular dustings-out, and the power supply then went kaputt after removing it for an equally thorough cleaning.  Got a new PSU (not a great one, or at a great price, as I bought local in an emergency) and now I am running around 40 fps, up from an average of 10-20.

Download Open Hardware Monitor, and check your voltages and temps; this will give you a good idea of where to start looking for your problems.

Thanks everyone, What do I need for for that then mate CPU. Any ideas what video settings I should be on whilst playing dayz. User interface, textures etc?

Try running your game in a lower resolution, you will get more frames.

There are also a ton of threads on here about changing your config files to get better fps.

Search function is your best friend. :)