SunshineBob

Life after death

Hello. So I've been playing a bit and noticed that when people in groups dies other group members will wait and try to protect the loot so that the one who died could run back and take his loot back. What if now just imagine what if you could not loot your own body? I think that would be amazing. Because when you die you don't respawn in a real life. Now I do understand that this is a game. And this game is oftenly refered as zombie survival simulator. So I think that this would make people appreciate their loot a lot more and maybe even would stop some unnecesary deaths because if you gonna fail to kill another player he might just as well kill you. I do understand that probably people in groups will still be guarding the loot and probably there would be a guy that would take the loot and give it away to a player that has died. But there could also be some sort of code that you couldn't wear ur stuff u had before death. :)

• Like 1

I like the idea, but i don't think that it's good for the game at the moment.

What about people just taking loot off the body?

That's the idea. Others coul take your loot. So the loot could be connected to be on your character like character id or something. Thus far making you to appreciate your loot a lot more so you could not loot your own body or wear the stuff that you had before your death. :)

Edited by SunshineBob

That's the idea. Others coul take your loot. So the loot could be connected to be on your character like character id or something. Thus far making you to appreciate your loot a lot more so you could not loot your own body or wear the stuff that you had before your death. :)

Yes, but, several problems arise with this.

1. What happens if your friends simply take the loot off your body? Then the loot is not assigned to the body. Then you can come back and pick it up off the ground.

2.I dont know how to make it "attached" to a players body? All loot in the game is moveable, and not specifically bound to a character, and personally, I think it should stay that way. Besides, im sure the devs have a plan in mind to prevent characters from returning to their corpse. Something to do with the spawn system?

3. Either way, there is a way around this. Tell your friends to take the loot onto their own characters, and they can find you again. Then they give you the loot. Its unfeasible to have a character be TOTALLY limited to never having their own loot again. If thats the case, what happens if loot keeps getting traded between different players? Eventually (awhile down the road yes), but no one would be able to have access to the loot.

It is a nice idea, but its an inelegant one that can simply be bypassed by swapping gear between players, for example:

Two players, Player A and Player B

Player A has loot A, Player B has loot B

Player A dies. loot A is now locked from Player A

Player B takes loot A

Player A takes loot B.

It also doesn't solve the issue of players re-spawning and entering into the same firefight they just died in. I'd suggest a more encompassing method is to have death (and switching servers) cause players to be locked out from the specific server they died in/left for 24 hours. (Or a number significantly high enough to prevent any chance of either issue happening)

No loot locking please. It's a game with unlimited lives, there is no way around that. If you take away the ablity for players to loot their own body, you just give groups an even bigger advantage. Your friends can always take the loot for you. Lone wolves are screwed.

While not ideal, being able to loot your body is not a massive problem and should stay the way it is imo.

It is a problem! A character's life has to be more important than his loot, and that is simply not the case when death is just a minor set-back. When suicide is the cure for everything from Cholera to a Cherno spawn, then the game ain't doing the job of getting 'survival' right.

It is a problem! A character's life has to be more important than his loot, and that is simply not the case when death is just a minor set-back. When suicide is the cure for everything from Cholera to a Cherno spawn, then the game ain't doing the job of getting 'survival' right.

Like I said, there is no way around the fact that players have unlimited lives. Locking players out of the server is not an option either. It's still a game, no one would like being forced not to play with their friends. You're absolutely correct that a character's life has to be more important but there are other, much more elegant ways to achieve that imo. Loot locking is not only too gamey and nonsensical, but it's also a very flawed solution.

• Like 1

Well, then perhaps unlimited lives is part of the problem? Also why is locking a player out of a server for a cooldown period out of the question? It prevents an unfair advantage (that of constant respawns), and if the only issues is about playing with friends, then the rest of a squad can still migrate to their friend's new server. But, to get back on topic, I agree with you that loot locking.is a clumsy way to achieve the OP's goal.

Ha! Permadeath is the mechanic intended to balance loot ownership and you've suggested a bind on pickup clause as a work-around.

Perhaps you should have faith in the loot economy during the game balancing stage of production.  Additionally, being able to retrieve your gear from friends is a reward for grouping up with other survivors.

I would suggest having to purchase a new account upon death before implementing a BoP mechanic that locks gear.  Also absurd.

I have an easy solution.  Can't you just "hide" their body and therefore, making it unlootable?  Isn't that in game now or is it bugged?

Edit - So if you kill a person, you have a chance to hide their body.  If you kill one guy in a group and the group is protecting the body, then props to them for defending it.

Edited by schwaBAM

Come back as a zombie and you don't respawn as a normal player until you are killed