Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - 30 Sept 2015

I'm not sure there will be a lot of players looking to stand out in the Chernarus scenery.   Just a wild guess, but bright colors are totally not in fashion for some time to come.

It's not really about fashion or wanting to stand out.   It's about having to choose between an item that is brightly colored with more inventory space and an item that is camo with less.  Only camo gear has lots of pockets!!  /bucket-of-sarcasm 

There is currently ZERO DRAWBACK from choosing military gear in game and anything of high value and high capacity is far more common than what an everyday man would have or what one could make with common items.

I'm pretty sure I could find more brightly colored backpacks in my house that have more inventory space than the 2-3 packs of neutral or camo color (minus the pack covers) and I'm typing this from a desk in Texas made of 480 lbs of Mormon packed wheat cans.  Just sayin' bro.

• Like 2

It's not really about fashion or wanting to stand out.   It's about having to choose between an item that is brightly colored with more inventory space and an item that is camo with less.  Only camo gear has lots of pockets!!  /bucket-of-sarcasm 

There is currently ZERO DRAWBACK from choosing military gear in game and anything of high value and high capacity is far more common than what an everyday man would have or what one could make with common items.

I'm pretty sure I could find more brightly colored backpacks in my house that have more inventory space than the 2-3 packs of neutral or camo color (minus the pack covers) and I'm typing this from a desk in Texas made of 480 lbs of Mormon packed wheat cans.  Just sayin' bro.

Opposite here, only backpack I have is a MOLLE backpack in black, already has space for my flashlight, knife, pen, notebooks and has several internal pockets as well; And can be expanded almost indefinitely.

Likewise, I also have black/green jackets and pants, some even in M90 camo. So, no, bright colors is not as common as you may think. Infact, most clothes/bags etc I see, is brown/black/green/grey etc, rather dark colors.

Army clothing and items are made to fit a lot of stuff and be versatile; Civvie variaties such as the M65 and MOLLE backpacks are really common, as well. That's simply how it is.

Edited by Santa fox

Opposite here, only backpack I have is a MOLLE backpack in black, already has space for my flashlight, knife, pen, notebooks and has several internal pockets as well; And can be expanded almost indefinitely.

Likewise, I also have black/green jackets and pants, some even in M90 camo. So, no, bright colors is not as common as you may think. Infact, most clothes/bags etc I see, is brown/black/green/grey etc, rather dark colors.

Army clothing and items are made to fit a lot of stuff and be versatile; Civvie variaties such as the M65 and MOLLE backpacks are really common, as well. That's simply how it is.

The only backpack I have is the one I used in highschool 20 years ago. It's red.  I also have a drybag I use for canoeing, its yellow.  

Not everyone plays army and keeps M90 jackets and Molle packs at their house.  Most people are civilians and wear civilian clothes.

Besides, anecdotal evidence of what you see around really doesn't have merit.   However, as there are far more civilians than military personnel, it stands to reason that there would be exponentially more civilian clothes available.  The more I think of it, the largest proportion of population that has a backpack is probably children.  Nearly every single one that goes to school has one.   Compare that to the maybe 1 in 20 adults that has a hiking backpack, the one in 100 that has military stuff at their house for whatever reason.  The kiddie school backpack and the highschooler Taloon packs should be far and away the most prevalent.

I also agree in the concept of needing a reason to wear something other than military clothes.  Right now there are zero disadvantages to mil outfits, and that should change for gameplay reasons.  Deciding, as Abe Froman himself described, between a high visibility/high storage pack or a low visibility/low storage pack should be a choice every player has to make.  I expect this to be adjusted in the beta phase.

• Like 1

The only backpack I have is the one I used in highschool 20 years ago. It's red.  I also have a drybag I use for canoeing, its yellow.  

Not everyone plays army and keeps M90 jackets and Molle packs at their house.  Most people are civilians and wear civilian clothes.

M90 jacket is a regular, black jacket with very big pockets, as well as a extra large one on the back, Quite popular. As for the backpack, MOLLE type backpacks are extremely popular here.

Besides, anecdotal evidence of what you see around really doesn't have merit.   However, as there are far more civilians than military personnel, it stands to reason that there would be exponentially more civilian clothes available.  The more I think of it, the largest proportion of population that has a backpack is probably children.  Nearly every single one that goes to school has one.   Compare that to the maybe 1 in 20 adults that has a hiking backpack, the one in 100 that has military stuff at their house for whatever reason.  The kiddie school backpack and the highschooler Taloon packs should be far and away the most prevalent.

Then your observation certainly won't hold much weight, either, now will it? As I can prove other by what I have seen and what I know friends and family wear, all civvies. Likewise goes with additional stuff like Buffs etc, which normally is heavily used in the army department.

I also agree in the concept of needing a reason to wear something other than military clothes.  Right now there are zero disadvantages to mil outfits, and that should change for gameplay reasons.  Deciding, as Abe Froman himself described, between a high visibility/high storage pack or a low visibility/low storage pack should be a choice every player has to make.  I expect this to be adjusted in the beta phase.

Why should it? If the game is going for realism, and army apparel and gear far outperforms that of civilian, why should there be some arbitrary drawback to it? You already have the SMERSH backpack, requiring a extension to fully show it's potentional, for example.

Perhaps the spawnpoints should be lowered, though, backpacks, pants and jackets etc are all commonplace in armies, so it wouldn't really make much sense if only one backpack/jacket/pair of pants spawn at a army base, housing at least 20 - 30 soldiers.

Edited by Santa fox

I know how it is, I thought I made that clear.

Point is, this is still a game and there is no reason to ever choose civy gear over military stuff unless you're actively trying to avoid looking like all the GIJoe bandits.  The decision is to either wear camo or not carry as much gear as all the kids who only fill their inventory with mags they'll never actually use.

I know how it is, I thought I made that clear.

Point is, this is still a game and there is no reason to ever choose civy gear over military stuff unless you're actively trying to avoid looking like all the GIJoe bandits.  The decision is to either wear camo or not carry as much gear as all the kids who only fill their inventory with mags they'll never actually use.

I am sure mods will fix that, and the rest of us who prefer realism over arbitrary restrictions, can enjoy the vanilla game. I see absolutely no problem with how it is now, you advance and get better gear as you advance in the game.

I am sure mods will fix that, and the rest of us who prefer realism over arbitrary restrictions, can enjoy the vanilla game. I see absolutely no problem with how it is now, you advance and get better gear as you advance in the game.

I wouldn't call it arbitrary.  You even admitted there were civy variants of military gear. 

Anyway, hopefully as the CLE is finalized and the quonset hut loot explosion/farming glitch gets fixed the camo kids will have to actually put effort into getting geared rather than sprinting to a tent city and exploiting a bug.

I wouldn't call it arbitrary.  You even admitted there were civy variants of military gear. 

Anyway, hopefully as the CLE is finalized and the quonset hut loot explosion/farming glitch gets fixed the camo kids will have to actually put effort into getting geared rather than sprinting to a tent city and exploiting a bug.

It will be fun reading the threads about how they're looking for this or that matching camo pant, and no matter how many servers they hop, they just can't find them!   Dan Hall, u said I could be armysurvivor!

• Like 2

It will be fun reading the threads about how they're looking for this or that matching camo pant, and no matter how many servers they hop, they just can't find them!   Dan Hall, u said I could be armysurvivor!

Pls fx game Dan Breezeway.

• Like 2

OK....can't resist...

Why U not fix no M4 for me?!

Bad Don Corridor lie to us all!

"Don Corridor".....I kill myself... Heh hee... "I made him an Alpha he couldn't refuse"