CMXII

Auto-Restart Not Possible?

So with 0.58 things have changed, and multiplay has been confusing me, greatly. 

When I contacted them, I was told auto-restart only works now when the server is empty. Then, they tell me they were asked by the developers to disable the 4 hour restarts they were originally using. Which makes no sense to me, as we're running a private shard and not a public server at 12hr restarts.

He also tells me and I quote, "We do offer BEC as an additional service which you can find on our products page". Which I don't understand how they can re-sell something that is part of DayZ.

Another support individual comes in and states, "BEC and Dayz also disabled Shutdown command so this no longer works."

So what's the deal here? Are all providers on the same front here on not being able to allow auto-restarts even on private shards? If we can manually restart when we want, how on earth is it not possible to automatically do so.

Which makes no sense to me, as we're running a private shard and not a public server at 12hr restarts.

Public, private whatever. This is still all just a test. Forcing uptime allows them to test the code man. 

Public, private whatever. This is still all just a test. Forcing uptime allows them to test the code man. 

The question was, is it no longer possible?

If they want test it, then they should test it and not allow us to manually restart. Plenty of servers are manually restarting every 4-6 hours, especially to keep daytime. Since we can manually restart, why is autorestarting being taken away making it miserable for those managing the server? That was what I was referring to, not the developers purpose in testing 12h uptime.

I'm simply trying to figure out can OTHER providers allow this through bec scheduler? Or is this a removed feature for everyone?

If they want test it, then they should test it and not allow us to manually restart. Plenty of servers are manually restarting every 4-6 hours, especially to keep daytime. Since we can manually restart, why is autorestarting being taken away making it miserable for those managing the server? That was what I was referring to, not the developers purpose in testing 12h uptime.

I'm simply trying to figure out can OTHER providers allow this through bec scheduler? Or is this a removed feature for everyone?

try it, you dont need the hoster to use bec. setup bec on your own box, im sure it still repsects the admin commands, unless dayz has disabled bec connections all together

I don't have access to BEC atm since owner has been away for awhile and I can only access clanforge.

I'm trying to find out if BEC connection has been denied via DAYZ or is it just multiplay stopping us from being able to do it, and its possible.

Server Rules are quite clear.

Who is the server owner and which server are you referring to ?

Server Rules are quite clear.

Who is the server owner and which server are you referring to ?

I thought as much, the server rules don't indicate not being able to use auto-restart via BEC. They claimed DayZ/BEC shutdown commands were disabled or something of the sort so it doesn't work.

They've also recently responded that their system only works when 0 players are on and will restart only then and their "tools" don't allow for auto-restarting with players on and will need to be developed.

http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/game-servers/bec/

^ Yet I found the above. Am I correct that multiplay is using some BEC admin tool they created and are charging for it?

Is there a specific tool out there that will allow me to access what is necessary to do this myself?

Edited by CMXII

Anyone else with MPGS (or any other GSP for that matter) not having the servers restart as set by your auto-restart setting? I've been in a very long ticket (three weeks) with them and getting all different sorts of answers. This is the latest from one of their techs:

The current way the auto restart feature works as follows:

1. The server is switched on, AND and player has joined. This then starts the timer, which you would have set on clanforge.
2. Once the timer reaches zero, it will attempt to restart the server IF there is no players online. If there is players online, it will wait for them to disconnect first before restarting. 
3. If 0 players and the time is at 0, the server will fully restart. The timer will then start counting down again as soon as the first player joins back after the restart

What you're asking for is for the server to restart whether it has players on it or not. This requires a re-write of the system in order to implement this option.

There were a few issues to begin with on the current system, which was fix. One of these issues was that the auto restart feature was disabled for DayZ due to the developers requesting it to be done differently in a previous build of the game.

No idea what this guy is on about some "re-write" as the system always worked as you set the auto-restart time and the dang server restarted when said hours were up.

Hicks said in the last build we'll have a 12 hour restart, not a 24 hour restart. We have an event server with very low pop set to 4 hour restarts. Even compared to the ^ claims we're still not getting a restart with a 0 population.

Did DayZ really disable the auto-restart feature?

Looking for answers as restarting the servers manually is a difficult task.

I thought as much, the server rules don't indicate not being able to use auto-restart via BEC. They claimed DayZ/BEC shutdown commands were disabled or something of the sort so it doesn't work.

They've also recently responded that their system only works when 0 players are on and will restart only then and their "tools" don't allow for auto-restarting with players on and will need to be developed.

http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/game-servers/bec/

^ Yet I found the above. Am I correct that multiplay is using some BEC admin tool they created and are charging for it?

Is there a specific tool out there that will allow me to access what is necessary to do this myself?

yes, bec 

http://ibattle.org/downloads/

Thank you.

I contacted gaming deluxe and they also stated: "BI removed the shutdown command from SA, to stop Badmins."

Gaming deluxe claims they have auto-restarts set via their side though, at least.

If this is true, I'm not exactly sure why BI stopped this ability to access the bec for auto-restarting. People can still manually do it, so it seems to serve no purpose other than making things more miserable.

I'm still going to give ibattle a shot though.

Server hosting rules say no automated restarts except if they're in 12-hour intervals. I think that necessarily precludes anything based on server population? Sounds like your GSP is fucking around, or the particular tech who answered you just doesn't know what he's doing.

Weyland,,,merged for better viewing.

Thank you sir.

I don't have access to BEC atm since owner has been away for awhile and I can only access clanforge.

I'm trying to find out if BEC connection has been denied via DAYZ or is it just multiplay stopping us from being able to do it, and its possible.

BE has nothing to do with Auto-restart. I use MPGS and they're telling me they have to rewrite the system, but why? It was working before the last update. Confused.

They said they're busy doing other things and will get to it when they get to it. We rent 5 servers from them and I have to say, this is fucking bullshit. Read my ^ Post #8.

I've tweeted Hicks and Eugen and I believe Eugen is looking into it. I'll keep you updated.

And yes, is you want BE you have to rent it for a few bucks/month which is bullshit. Every other major GSP it comes with the server ACP already built it. MPGS does have a low price point so I can see why they want to milk a few extra bucks. I don't agree with it.

This who auto-restart thing is bullshit and the 0 players thing doesn't work. Our event server has 0 on it a lot and the server never restarts. I get a bunch of different stories from a bunch of different people. Really annoying. I'll keep this thread updated. 

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

MPGS Senior Support Technician:

"The twelve hour resets are different to the restarts, this is a wipe of the persistence file for the server and as such is very different from a restart which just shuts it down and starts it back up again.

These can now be done every twelve hours but require you to submit a ticket requesting it to avoid any potential abuse by someone."

WTH?

"The twelve hour resets are different to the restarts, this is a wipe of the persistence file for the server and as such is very different from a restart which just shuts it down and starts it back up again.

These can now be done every twelve hours but require you to submit a ticket requesting it to avoid any potential abuse by someone."

WTH?

Different responses and idiocy is also what I'm getting. I'm stunned, really. And the response you just got doesn't even make sense.

I contacted gamingdeluxe and their rep. said while the hard shutdown command had been removed, it's still possible to schedule autorestarts WITH players on at an interval of our choosing with scheduled messaging that we want.

You would think with the inflated prices they ask for they would take care of the customer. This is why i wish they would allow other providers to come in so we can have some more diversity.

Different responses and idiocy is also what I'm getting. I'm stunned, really. And the response you just got doesn't even make sense.

I contacted gamingdeluxe and their rep. said while the hard shutdown command had been removed, it's still possible to schedule autorestarts WITH players on at an interval of our choosing with scheduled messaging that we want.

You would think with the inflated prices they ask for they would take care of the customer. This is why i wish they would allow other providers to come in so we can have some more diversity.

I'm speaking with a Senior Tech at the moment and he's going to try and solve this issue for us. Good news right?

If you didn't know, I'm responsible for getting a banlist.txt, a proper timer drop down for MOTD implemented, as well as another feature that I'm forgetting atm. I really think they should hire me as a consultant.

One good thing about MPGS is if you approach them properly, they will eventually listen and are willing to make changes to the ACP to accommodate their customers. Thats a very big thing imho.

WTH?

What a confusing response. He was getting the persistence restore information confused with a server restart. I've known for a while now you can request a backup to be implemented of your persistence data in the event something went wrong and you want to restore. Only doing that every 12 hours makes sense.......

I am 99% sure our server restarted on its own with players on it last night. We had our biggest crowd yet holding 50 players all the way up until the server restarted. I can take screenshots of my logs from DART when I get home from work today to confirm this. 

Also I am quite sure I did a manual restart from clanforge last week and it actually restarted the server. I can go back through my logs again to double check that. We have our server setup to maintain its in game time even after a restart. Example: gametime is 14:05 ....server restarts.....server comes back up and gametime is 14:05. 

One of the more senior reps. replied with: 

"This feature is in discussion but nothing has been put in place yet.

You can either run BEC yourself or let us run it for you. BEC #shutdown command no longer works in DayZ.

I would recommend manually restarting your server every 12 hours via our control panel."

It's nice he recommends something I've consistently said we're not doing. We're running a daytime, not nightime server. While everyone agrees that BEC hard shutdown is disabled, that has nothing to do with soft shutdowns and restarts. Which is why gamingdeluxe (and others) is able auto-restart as well.

So they can't even have the server restart if there are players on and they can't do what every other provider is still doing, which is still utilizing soft shutdown commands to allow for a scheduled auto-restart. Why pay for less is now lingering in my mind.
Edited by CMXII

One of the more senior reps. replied with: 

"This feature is in discussion but nothing has been put in place yet.

You can either run BEC yourself or let us run it for you. BEC #shutdown command no longer works in DayZ.

I would recommend manually restarting your server every 12 hours via our control panel."

It's nice he recommends something I've consistently said we're not doing. We're running a daytime, not nightime server. While everyone agrees that BEC hard shutdown is disabled, that has nothing to do with soft shutdowns and restarts. Which is why gamingdeluxe (and others) is able auto-restart as well.

So they can't even have the server restart if there are players on and they can't do what every other provider is still doing, which is still utilizing soft shutdown commands to allow for a scheduled auto-restart. Why pay for less is now lingering in my mind.

Your with Multiplay Gamer Servers correct? I am as well and just yesterday with 12 players on, the server sent out a message stating it was going to restart and it did. I didn't enforce this restart and can only assume Multiplay was responsible for the restart......

EDIT: I have confirmed my server restarts every 4 hours right now. Logs show about a minute to two minutes after the hour, every four hours.

Let me know if they reply back with more information. I'm about to open my own ticket with them just to see the type of response I get compared to yours. 

My server info is just in case you wanted to check things out compared to yours. We don't pay the extra $$ for BEC scheduling etc as we find that complete bullshit when the other providers like Fragnet do not charge for it. 

Welcome to the Jungle!!! Community Supported Public DayZ

50.97.95.133:2502

Edited by The Riddler

Your with Multiplay Gamer Servers correct? I am as well and just yesterday with 12 players on, the server sent out a message stating it was going to restart and it did. I didn't enforce this restart and can only assume Multiplay was responsible for the restart......

EDIT: I have confirmed my server restarts every 4 hours right now. Logs show about a minute to two minutes after the hour, every four hours.

Let me know if they reply back with more information. I'm about to open my own ticket with them just to see the type of response I get compared to yours. 

My server info is just in case you wanted to check things out compared to yours. We don't pay the extra $$ for BEC scheduling etc as we find that complete bullshit when the other providers like Fragnet do not charge for it. 

Welcome to the Jungle!!! Community Supported Public DayZ

50.97.95.133:2502

Wow, I'm confused. I thought public hives were forced 12 hour restarts? As usual, I don't know what is going on and I'm suspecting multiplay doesn't either. Too many hands in the pot, probably.

Regardless if the hard shutdown command is disabled, they can still do a soft shutdown and start and on the back-end allow it to do so every 6 hours, 4 ect.. for private servers. Just all around confusing information from multiplay.

Thanks for the information.

Edited by CMXII

I have tried to set it to 12 hours via ClanForge.co.uk and it never saves and reverts back to 4 hours. Highly frustrating b/c we had a full server the other night for the first time during .58 and when it restarted nobody came back :/ 

We also use Multiplay, and have the same restart issue.  I sent in a ticket, and this was my reply:

"4 hour auto restarts can be set via Clanforge in the server information section. However, this will only restart when the server goes empty.  There is currently no way to force a restart while the server is populated on a schedule."

As our server is *never* empty, how is this to work?  It makes no sense; we are a private hive only with 3 servers; our main server ranked #2 worldwide as per GameTracker.  I have no idea why this provider chooses to make life hard for people that pay a premium price for services.

b_560_95_1.png

Edited by DayZCiv

We also use Multiplay, and have the same restart issue.  I sent in a ticket, and this was my reply:

"4 hour auto restarts can be set via Clanforge in the server information section. However, this will only restart when the server goes empty.  There is currently no way to force a restart while the server is populated on a schedule."

As our server is *never* empty, how is this to work?  It makes no sense; we are a private hive only with 3 servers; our main server ranked #2 worldwide as per GameTracker.  I have no idea why this provider chooses to make life hard for people that pay a premium price for services.

b_560_95_1.png

At this point, I think it might be worth sending in a feedback tracker to the Dev's. Just so they can then channel the information to the right people at BI who can possibly enforce this GSP to set the server restart times correctly. 

Anybody willing to share log info from your Multiplay server to show its restarting every 4 hours? I'll be happy to file the report. If you use DART, can use DART's running log to show the proof since there is a Global message sent out prior to restart. I honestly have not figured out yet via clanforge.co.uk how to view the logs like I used to with another provider (fragnet). 

Fragnet still got working restarts with the BEC scheduler.

The BEC is calling a restart.bat script that is restarting the server ;)

Edited by VanValdenburg

Fragnet still got working restarts with the BEC scheduler.

The BEC is calling a restart.bat script that is restarting the server ;)

Gamingdeluxe also told me it's still possible as well, and that only the hard shutdown command was removed not the soft shutdown abilities.

They're making it seem they plan in the future some back-end developer created bull crap to restart the servers when players are on...who cares. Why can't they just set up a script for us and be freaking done. I'm not sure what their deal is with this notion that restarts can't occur with players on and some super duper in-house crap has to be made to allow us to restart.

Edited by CMXII