Bororm

floating crosshair

I haven't seen a lot of discussion on this which is interesting since people often comment a lot about other things related to realism, or making the game a bit more hardcore.  The recent changes to the floating crosshair are a big deviation from minimal hud/"hardcore"/realism goals of the game imo.  It went from the single dot, which was supposed to be in game only as an indicator to make it easier to target items in the world (the devs stated this) and not an actual crosshair for your gun, to what we have now which is a really good indicator for aiming.

It used to be that the single dot was even too much imo, and people often hip fired using only that.  That said, on occasion I'd have friends complain that their shots weren't lining up with it and I'd have to remind them it's not actually supposed to be for aiming.  This new crosshair is meant for aiming, and it does a really fucking good job of it honestly.  Often I end up just using it to aim rather than looking down my sights, and much like in the mod and arma in general, it is a lot easier to control recoil as well as keep clearer vision on what's going on without having all your muzzle flash in your face.

I don't really understand this direction they've taken.  I want to see hip firing discouraged, not encouraged.  Fights are too run and gun, fast paced already.  I'd like at the very least to see it as a server option again like it is in arma/the mod.  While I admittedly often use it, I do it because it's there, and I'd prefer to play without it.

WnRNNut.jpg

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 3

Forced free aim + no crosshair is the best solution imo.

Would make hip firing past 10 feet pretty useless as it should be.

• Like 2

Bad crosshair is bad. The fixed dot was pretty good I thought. I don't understand how someonemore than one personthought this would be a good change. By the way, in the files there were several different crosshairs for various classes of weapons... as if pointing a shotgun is somehow fundamentally different than pointing a rifle. Can anyone say "arcade"?

As always I don't see a reason to eliminate crosshairs. Plenty reasons to keep them.

• Like 1

That's pretty impressive shooting even with the crosshair like that haha.  Good demonstration of how ridiculous they are though.

I liked playing the mod with them off, but I can appreciate if some people like them on.  Personally I don't find them necessary, even for picking up items.  You quickly get a feel for the center of your screen.  A server option would work best.  That really should be the go to for subjective changes to the game, just make them server options.

The current crosshair isnt very good when aiming out a door.  Try standing at an angle in a doorway and move the "crosshair" then switching to ADS.  The crosshair often is nowhere near the target

There's an option in (public) server config to have cross hairs disabled. I've had it set to disabled entirely so far but as yet have not seen it make a difference.

Perhaps the new animations and avatar control improvements will fix this, but at the moment I see the crosshair as a necessity to maintain proprioception, at least in 1pp.

The current crosshair isnt very good when aiming out a door.  Try standing at an angle in a doorway and move the "crosshair" then switching to ADS.  The crosshair often is nowhere near the target

I haven't tested it but it may be to do with how it is actually a projected crosshair as well.  Perhaps it's projecting on the door as if it were shut, even when it's open.  This is actually another point I forgot to mention with how silly it is.  It is actually projected out rather far, you can move it over trees and such in the distance to see what I'm talking about.

Well a good solution for that would be rather simple to apply ! 

Why not having it as an option for the server operator ? Just like we used to turn on / off 3rd person and such ! Hardcore players who wants immersion will get it, and pew pew from 3rd person fans would get their fix as well... 

I know it's rare to get a dev response but I'm reaaaally curious why this was even done, since it is a total flip on what they initially said was the goal.

• Like 1

Good old Rocket quotes from the past about removing crosshair would be much welcome. This is just a total flip.

Forced free aim + no crosshair is the best solution imo.

This. But keep the crosshair in the center of the screen for environment interaction and as beacon for aimed shots (it does not make sense to keep aiming in the direction your hipfire went).

This is still driving me nuts because pvp is devolving even more so into sprinting straight up to people to spray them down.  Especially in any fight involving an automatic vs anything else.  See a guy with a mosin or sks or any other low capacity semi auto/bolt? your best bet is to just zig zag straight up and spray.

With the abundance of assault rifles and ammo that's all the pvp scene is any more.

It's super dull.