Tatanko

We Dedicated Few: A Guide to Debug Island

You definitely should. I'm beginning to think it might be fun to organize a larger group gathering out there before 0.59 hits Stable (which leaves plenty of time).

I would be interested in attempting this trip sometime.  Just out of curiosity, how much carbo-loading did each of you do before the swim?  Seems appropriate to spend at least an hour on Skalisty Island, munching stockpiled rice and crunchin crisps before the swim.  I've recently done a fair amount of marathon running while searching out truck spawns, and noticed that stuffed status seems to deplete energy and hydration faster; but getting over-energized definitely seems like the way to not starve while making the swim.

One more silly question about backpacks:  Would a mountain backpack really cause you to get cold faster if your clothes were waterproof, or would it just ruin the contents after that long in the water?

• Like 1

Sounds like the admin wanted your stuff :)

Should write a letter laced with passive aggression stating that you were setting up the SCUD so as to nuke their asses into oblivion.

Still though, I'm appalled that private hives have encouraged these kinds of behavior...

That and some sweaty nerd admin is obviously pinging his map, watching every player in the server...

Edited by q.S Sachiel

One more silly question about backpacks:  Would a mountain backpack really cause you to get cold faster if your clothes were waterproof, or would it just ruin the contents after that long in the water?

We were working on the premise that all dampness that is retained in your inventory will accelerate your cold status.

To avoid the dampness transfer none of us wore vests, gloves or carried guns on our backs.

That was the hypothesis but we can't really be sure without more testing.

A few days back, when I was still in the gearing up process I used a hi-cap vest for extra storage.

Just the swim to and from Skalisty drenched my hi-cap and those short runs gave me a red "I am cold" status warning, even with the fireman's jacket beneath it.

I know that's only anecdotal evidence - and it's a vest not a backpack - but my gut feeling says yes, the dampness seeps through.

Edit:  

Oh and on the carbo-loading, we let ourselves get down to dark green or neutral if possible.

We wanted to start on an empty stomach and fill up appropriately (enough food but lots of water) 

I used powdered milk (hi-cal/less filling) and ate a little extra beyond light-green energized.

Then we loaded up on water at the Skalisty well, until we were orange stuffed on the brink of vomiting  :blush:

Edited by GaryWalnuts
  • Like 1

You guys should really put some crops out there. I think fresh water will be the only long term problem, but if you're on a server that has a lot of rain you can probably mitigate that.

I would be interested in attempting this trip sometime.  Just out of curiosity, how much carbo-loading did each of you do before the swim?  Seems appropriate to spend at least an hour on Skalisty Island, munching stockpiled rice and crunchin crisps before the swim.  I've recently done a fair amount of marathon running while searching out truck spawns, and noticed that stuffed status seems to deplete energy and hydration faster; but getting over-energized definitely seems like the way to not starve while making the swim.

It isn't necessary to spend that kind of time preparing yourself before jumping in the water, thankfully. We all loaded up on food a few minutes before starting out, and we always pump ourselves full of water at the well (to oranged "stuffed" status) as the last thing we do before the swim. Lengthy eating/drinking sessions likely wouldn't have much net benefit. On our second attempt, Gary and I were both able to make it to the island with practically no hit to our energy -- I was still bright green energized! We were thirsty, but that's to be expected, as you have a much lower capacity for hydration than you do calories and it seems to burn off faster than those calories when you're active.

Sounds like the admin wanted your stuff :)

Should write a letter laced with passive aggression stating that you were setting up the SCUD so as to nuke their asses into oblivion.

Still though, I'm appalled that private hives have encouraged these kinds of behavior...

That and some sweaty nerd admin is obviously pinging his map, watching every player in the server...

Good idea! :p

This wasn't a private hive though by the way, it was a public server.

Hey guys, great job on this newest trip.

Also, may want to report that server because y'all aren't the first to fall victim to the douchebag owner https://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/523897023725622352/

Thanks! How interesting...

You guys should really put some crops out there. I think fresh water will be the only long term problem, but if you're on a server that has a lot of rain you can probably mitigate that.

We do have crops out there, as a matter of fact, but they are for some reason invisible on the island. I'll repost the picture below of Odin tending to our garden plot at night :) Water can be an issue, but we just switch over a rainy server real quick to fill up all of our containers and then switch back, no big deal.

L5K1K58.jpg

• Like 1

... none of us wore vests, gloves or carried guns on our backs.

A dead give away of your malicious PVE intentions.

The admin was right to kick you! :D

• Like 3

We were working on the premise that all dampness that is retained in your inventory will accelerate your cold status.

To avoid the dampness transfer none of us wore vests, gloves or carried guns on our backs.

That was the hypothesis but we can't really be sure without more testing.

A few days back, when I was still in the gearing up process I used a hi-cap vest for extra storage.

Just the swim to and from Skalisty drenched my hi-cap and those short runs gave me a red "I am cold" status warning, even with the fireman's jacket beneath it.

I know that's only anecdotal evidence - and it's a vest not a backpack - but my gut feeling says yes, the dampness seeps through.

It would be interesting to learn if you can pack a mountain backpack out there with little to no adverse effects; great way to haul out a jerrycan full of water.  It may even have volume appropriate to offset any related coldness, by allowing you to carry a few heatpacks, and stuff your jacket full of heated canned peaches.  But I understand if the time commitment is not worth the risk of finding out.  Myabe I'll get bored enough to give it a try; jam my keyboard and watch a movie to pass the time.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to learn if you can pack a mountain backpack out there with little to no adverse effects; great way to haul out a jerrycan full of water.  It may even have volume appropriate to offset any related coldness, by allowing you to carry a few heatpacks, and stuff your jacket full of heated canned peaches.  But I understand if the time commitment is not worth the risk of finding out.  Myabe I'll get bored enough to give it a try; jam my keyboard and watch a movie to pass the time.

I guess you could find out the results pretty quickly and without risking everything- just go for a regular swim, but not too far from shore.  

This way you have time to make a fire and recover if you see the red "I am Cold" status (which is the beginning of the end) and not lose everything else that you've grinded for.

In my own experiences the "I am Cold" status shows up in no more than 20 minutes.

Keep in mind that some servers seem colder than others, which makes all of this difficult to confirm. 

On one server I swam back to the mainland at night under a hard rain and didn't get cold status at all.

On a different server it seemed like a nice evening in Chernarus.  Odin made it, Tatanko didn't, and I barely made it, dying of starvation and almost hypothermic - and we were all wearing identical gear!

So as they say, your mileage may vary.

So as they say, your mileage may vary.

This is the most literal use of that phrase in all of DayZ  :lol: