Sign in to follow this  
Helix2000

more uses for electricity

so, with the implementation of truck batteries, i had an idea, stemming from my need to have my house base lit up with gas lams and fire places.

i know that generators will be implemented, and flood lights, but this can be a substitute for players who want smaller bases, or can not find the resources for them.

we have truck batteries, a model of a car battery has been shown, and eventually, a motorbike battery may come along. we have wire in the game, and tape, so all we need is a light bulb which could be found in industrial spawn locations. an action sequence could go something like this:

1. place car/truck battery down, take wire into hand
  2. option: "attach wire to battery"
  3. here, you can stretch the wire a set distance, say 2 meters
  4. option "fasten wire" which will need and use a little duct tape
  5. option "attach light bulb to wire" which will also use tape
  6. attach/detach wire to battery could act as a switch, or an actual switch could be added.

this could also be used to create a basic electric fence around your base, which would reduce an intruders health if they touched it, or rig up lighting for a house, then transfer the battery to your vehicle for charging when you go on a supply run, and copper wire may be added to increase the efficiency of the system, as opposed to metal wire.

TL;DR a basic idea about an alternative/addition to the eventual implementation of the electrical system.

tell me what you guys think...

• Like 1

so, with the implementation of truck batteries, i had an idea, stemming from my need to have my house base lit up with gas lams and fire places.

i know that generators will be implemented, and flood lights, but this can be a substitute for players who want smaller bases, or can not find the resources for them.

we have truck batteries, a model of a car battery has been shown, and eventually, a motorbike battery may come along. we have wire in the game, and tape, so all we need is a light bulb which could be found in industrial spawn locations. an action sequence could go something like this:

1. place car/truck battery down, take wire into hand
  2. option: "attach wire to battery"
  3. here, you can stretch the wire a set distance, say 2 meters
  4. option "fasten wire" which will need and use a little duct tape
  5. option "attach light bulb to wire" which will also use tape
  6. attach/detach wire to battery could act as a switch, or an actual switch could be added.

this could also be used to create a basic electric fence around your base, which would reduce an intruders health if they touched it, or rig up lighting for a house, then transfer the battery to your vehicle for charging when you go on a supply run, and copper wire may be added to increase the efficiency of the system, as opposed to metal wire.

TL;DR a basic idea about an alternative/addition to the eventual implementation of the electrical system.

tell me what you guys think...

im down, but how would we charge these bad boys when they are dead?

• Like 1

im down, but how would we charge these bad boys when they are dead?

i believe that car/truck batteries are charged by use in a vehicle (as in by the engine, not 100% sure though), so as long as they are used in vehicle, they will slowly regain charge.

Edited by Helix2000
  • Like 1

i believe that car/truck batteries are charged by use in a vehicle (as in by the engine, not 100% sure though), so as long as they are used in vehicle, they will slowly regain charge.

If a battery is dead (=no charge or too low voltage) you can not start the engine and hence cannot charge the battery. (yes the battery is charged by the engine) Unless there would be a mechanic where one or more players can push a vehicle and make it start by putting it into gear while it is rolling.

• Like 2

Car batteries are 12v dc houses are 110v or 220v ac depending on where you live. You can wire 10 or 20 batteries in series load, pos , neg ,pos, neg... pos ,neg, load but 120-240v of direct current is extremely dangerous especially with the current truck batteries can deliver. There's your electric fence though, tongue biting muscle spasms, guaranteed 3rd degree burns with a high likely hood of cardiac arrest, especially effective with the humid climate in Chenarus.       

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 2

they had pics of a generator and flood lights as well as extension cords.

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/228615-wanna-light-up-your-camp-keep-your-food-fresh-in-fridge-or-use-el-stove-viva-electricity/#entry2303715 but how will you keep the truck batteries charged and you can't set batteries like that on the ground they lose charge. what they should add for the guys that want a small camp in an RV they could have the bigger truck style, the stag pickup, and the trailer version maybe it could fit on the offroad car we are getting soon. I think those would be very viable. they would have generators lights and storage and should be able to be maintained by a few folks.

Edited by gannon46

they had pics of a generator and flood lights as well as extension cords.

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/228615-wanna-light-up-your-camp-keep-your-food-fresh-in-fridge-or-use-el-stove-viva-electricity/#entry2303715 but how will you keep the truck batteries charged and you can't set batteries like that on the ground they lose charge. what they should add for the guys that want a small camp in an RV they could have the bigger truck style, the stag pickup, and the trailer version maybe it could fit on the offroad car we are getting soon. I think those would be very viable. they would have generators lights and storage and should be able to be maintained by a few folks.

Car batteries stored on concrete floors being bad is based on old outdated information from when the outer cases were made of porous hard rubber. They've been made of hard nonporous plastic for quite some time and do not allow current to pass through their shell anymore. Keeping modern lead acids on cold concrete can actually help stabilize a their temperature slowing self discharge.

Discharging a battery and then using the alternator to charge it is both bad for the alternator and starting batteries do not like being deep cycled, run right down then charged back up. The alternator is meant to run the vehicle's electrical systems while its's running and just top back up the little bit it took to start the car, starting batteries are meant to be always fully charged except the few minutes it takes to top it back up after the starter does it's thing.

RVs that use 12v accessories typically have a 12v starting battery and one or more deep cycle batteries (meant to be run down then charged up) isolated from supplying power back to the starter and slowly charged while the vehicle is running or totally isolated from the vehicles electrical system and charged by an auxiliary generator.

Not that you couldn't half ass a bunch of these ideas into working but if it were the last battery on earth you'd also want to treat it right to preserve it's longevity.