Sign in to follow this  
100ftjesus

Persistence sanity check

FIrstly, apologies if this repeats previous questions, I have searched for the answer but to no avail...

I feel like I understand the principle of CLE and persistent loot, but am hazy on some of the details in the application of it.

So persistence, and all that comes with it.  I'd like to find out, among the dayz community, if these following statements are correct.

I will use an M4 as an example of rare loot in limited numbers.

1. Only a certain numbers of M4s spawned when the servers restarted after the 0.58 update.  For this example lets say x5 on a server.

2. If a player picks up an M4, then a new one will, at some point, spawn again, thus balancing the amount of 'new spawn' M4s to x5.  

So x5 M4's spawned, one gets picked up, therefore a new M4 will spawn at some point.  

At this point the total number of M4s on the server will be 6.

Correct?

3. If an M4 gets ruined on that server, this will balance the amount of 'new spawn' M4s.  

So if there are x6 M4s that have spawned on the server, one gets ruined, then will the server will spawn a new one to keep up it's minimum number of x5, or will it not spawn a new one?

4. If all x5 M4s are picked up by players who never return to the server they collected them from, then does that server re-spawn another x5 M4s at some point?  

This is basically the crux of what i'm trying to figure out, does the CLE follow the players loot and where they collected it from?  

So if all the M4s are collected by players on a sever they never return to, will that server ever re-spawn an M4 when one of the originals gets ruined?  

(I know how mad that sounds, but am just trying to get a handle on the loot tables and how they work.)

And no, i'm not after an M4, for me it's AKM all the way....! :-)

I'm also curious about this. I *thought* it was something more random/complex than merely ensuring 5 M4's are spawned and available to loot somewhere on the map.

No new loot spawns at a reset, it's dynamic throughout the uptime.

M4s specifically do not spawn at a rate of more than one every 4 hours, you pick up one and it's at least 4 hours until another should spawn at the earliest. 

I'm also curious about this. I *thought* it was something more random/complex than merely ensuring 5 M4's are spawned and available to loot somewhere on the map.

Indeed.  At the end of the day there's some maths controlling this, so somewhere there are numbers controlling the spawn numbers and how they reset / re-spawn / react to player interaction.

Genuinely curious about how the rare loot behaves, or rather how it is told to behave...!

I was being simplistic in my example, I'm fairly sure every server didn't spawn x5 M4s on the update.

Another example; If 50 players, all kitted up with M4s joined a server and all dumped their M4s on the ground (unlikely I know) and logged out, how would this affect the server loot table?  That server would register x50 M4s, would it wait for them to degrade to ruined before spawning another?  And would the original servers they picked them up from not spawn any M4s until these 'originals' were ruined?

No new loot spawns at a reset, it's dynamic throughout the uptime.

Thanks BCBasher, this i'm aware of.  I meant the 0.58 update, not a server reset.  

Personally i'm happy with the way loot is behaving now, just trying get a handle on the new behaviour.

Thanks BCBasher, this i'm aware of.  I meant the 0.58 update, not a server reset.  

Personally i'm happy with the way loot is behaving now, just trying get a handle on the new behaviour.

Follow the .58 stable thread for the best information, participate if you notice something and usually one of us will even try and repeat it or expand on it. 

Loot spawning mechanics are a big interest of mine and as far as I can tell the devs are going to great lengths to make it hard for us to figure out how it works which in my opinion is a good thing.

I haven't really left the coast on stable but as far as I can tell the initial loot dumped into the world when it came online was far lower than anything I saw in exp and it's respawning way slower.   

• Like 2

Follow the .58 stable thread for the best information, participate if you notice something and usually one of us will even try and repeat it or expand on it. 

Loot spawning mechanics are a big interest of mine and as far as I can tell the devs are going to great lengths to make it hard for us to figure out how it works which in my opinion is a good thing.

I haven't really left the coast on stable but as far as I can tell the initial loot dumped into the world when it came online was far lower than anything I saw in exp and it's respawning way slower.   

Idk man, sometimes I feel like if we were told exactly how it works, we could find ways to exploit it faster, then devs and the community would see what is wrong or what could be done to avoid that. But I'm not sure you see.

Maybe we think its good now, and when we find out how it works we see its actually a bad idea.

Edited by Avant-Garde

Idk man, sometimes I feel like if we were told exactly how it works, we could find ways to exploit it faster, then devs and the community would see what is wrong or what could be done to avoid that. But I'm not sure you see.

Maybe we think its good now, and when we find out how it works we see its actually a bad idea.

No that's almost exactly the point of early access alpha development, find exploitable mechanics, let them fix them.

If they make a game that's very hard to figure out the "formula" through my own or online research I'd be a happy camper.

I have a feeling it'll be very "balanced" catering to casual players though. 

If it is on the ground, outside of a persistent container, it is a part of CLE.  If you pick it up and take it to another server, then it should not reflect on the CLE budget of the original server.

AFAIK, the CLE should only deal with spawned items, and ignore both camps and player inventories.  How else could it work, given the public hive system?

*snip* camps *snip

Some stuff stored in camps counts towards the CLE, like vehicle parts i believe. Which would mean that if all of them are stored in camp containers, none can be found elsewhere. (At least that's what i gathered from Hicks on reddit.)

I'd like to know if this is the case for weapons too, or if i'm wrong alltogether.

Edited by Greaves

One thing to remember guys is that CLE is not only server restrictive. It is also hive restrictive. This assumes of course they stuck to Rockets original concept for CLE. If BI did, then they can control the overall amount of items in game at any time by just restricting how many are allowed in the hive. This is particularly important when it comes to high value items. So there maybe a server restriction of X minimum M4's and Y maximum M4's, but hive wide they have a Z maximum allowed amount of M4's. This would keep the overall amount of a particular item or just all items from getting out of hand.