KandyCid

The Compass to Map Ratio: ._.

I left Starry yesterday Going West and ended up in the undeveloped part of the map+  went back to starry and went north east hoping i was going to NWAF and ended up in Severograd.

Just for shits and grins... go back to Starry, and go North-West. See if you get to the airfield.

• Like 1

Just for shits and grins... go back to Starry, and go North-West. See if you get to the airfield.

rake the shit from your teeth and read all the post, I was referring to me using the bugged compass, that's where the confusion comes into play- Severograd isn't really NE from Starry anyway is more N than NE, going NE will get you way out to the east of SEV b4 getting to Sev.. but like I said I'm just a noob and have no concept of where I'm going

rake the shit from your teeth and read all the post,

Good luck to you man. Maybe stick to the roads?

• Like 2

Good luck to you man. Maybe stick to the roads?

I do, and rarely get K'dOS

HOW TO CHECK

Go out in the sun.

Turn until your compass says you are facing East

Now - Is your shadow somewhere on your left side or is it somewhere on your right side?

So then you know 100% if your compass is working or not

OK?

xx

- hey, if you're trying to figure how a compass works, but you don't now how the sun works, you're starting at the wrong chapter

==========

[edit:] OK OK - now lissen up - if you are facing exactly EAST, then your shadow will always be somewhere on your LEFT side ALL DAY

If the compass says you are facing East and your shadow is on the wrong side, then you can

-  throw it away

-  or always follow the WRONG END of the needle to get where you want

If you look at a map and South is at the top of the map, then West is on the Right hand side - try it with a real map

but hey, if you are holding the map the wrong way up, that don't make no difference to your compass

(just like in the real army and the real boy-scouts)

Check this stuff out with a real map and a real compass - have some fun in ya life, get it straight in your head.

Then if you're sure something is wrong in the game, put in a BUG report

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Go out in the sun.

Turn until your compass says you are facing East

Now - Is your shadow somewhere on your left side or is it somewhere on your right side?

So then you know 100% if your compass is working or not

OK?

xx

- hey, if you're trying to figure how a compass works, but you don't now how the sun works, you're starting at the wrong chapter

guess it would matter the time of day eh?

indeed, close to midnight it is hard to find the sun..... :(

..er ..NO.....

did I say -<  if you're trying to figure how a compass works, but you don't now how the sun works, you're starting at the wrong chapter > - yes I DID say that ...

OK no problem KandyCid - I'm NOT dissing you - plenty of folk don't know this stuff, but once you DO know, then it makes living a whole lot easier, specially if you want to find your direction  ..

OK - we all know you can't see the sun at night (thanx wasnu). In real life and in DayZ it's the same, because the sun works the SAME in real life and in DayZ.

At night in DayZ you CAN see the Pole Star

Navigating by the North Star (the Pole Star) is maybe a bit "advanced technique" for beginners, but it works in DayZ just like it's works on Real Earth ever since anyone ever started navigating (it always worked since a million years before that but no one noticed).

So we ALL know about the "no sun at night" problem , and we ALL know about the "sun hidden by clouds and rain" problem.

ALL I'm saying is the game takes place in the Northern Hemisphere (the North half of the whole planet Earth); All of Eastern Europe is in the Northern Hemisphere and so is Chernarus. - Right -  That's the only thing you need to know to survive and move in the direction you want.

In the Northern Hemisphere the sun rises in the East and sets in the West BUT it does not go right directly over your head through the day, it goes round to the South. Between Dawn and Dusk the sun is always somewhere on the Southern side of that line between East and West. So in mid morning it's somewhere towards SE, in mid afternoon its somewhere towards SW, and at noon its just exactly South of ya. But all the time its on the southern side, its NEVER on the Northern side of that East to West line.

This is how the Planet Earth works, dude, it's worth knowing.

So if you have a compass you can tell if it's good or not just by checking with the sun (at any time of the DAY)

And hey - if you know the in-gameTIME (like e.g. if you had a wristwatch in DayZ for instance, or you just know it or or you guess the in-game time close enough) -  you can call direction fairly accurately from the sun WITHOUT a compass at all.

OK - If its raining or so totally cloudy that even the trees don't cast a little itty-bit of shadow, then you DO what everyone has REALLY done for the last few hundred years.. you go look for a road, or a house or a village or a coast or a lake. then you try to figure what road  it is... it's easier than it was in the old times because we have roadsigns .. See what you remember of the map in your head (you could even look at the map before you play, get an idea of places and connecting roads and hills around where you're going to be - like folk do in the army, yas?).

if you have an in game map, try to locate on it your road or whatever map feature you found, and move to the next map object to check.

If you're totally lost then do what you need to do to survive till the sun comes back (how long will that take ? has it rained a LOT recently in DayZ ? ) Don't let yourself die or have a crisis just because there are no shadows around ATM.

OK - here's the quiz:

1 ) Am I making this up just to jazz you ? =  (N0)

2 ) Where is the Pole Star, how do I find it, and what the frag IS it ?

3 ) Why is Chernarus in the Northern Hemisphere ?

4 ) What do Earth Hemispheres have to do with the SUN ?

5 ) Why am I such a pain in the ass ?

if you know the answers, go to  https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/202732-ban-the-person-above-you/page-49#entry2300095

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

..er ..NO.....

did I say -<  if you're trying to figure how a compass works, but you don't now how the sun works, you're starting at the wrong chapter > - yes I DID say that ...

OK no problem KandyCid - I'm NOT dissing you - plenty of folk don't know this stuff, but once you DO know, then it makes living a whole lot easier, specially if you want to find your direction  ..

OK - we all know you can't see the sun at night (in real life and in DayZ it's the same, because the sun works the SAME in real life and in DayZ).

But at night in DayZ you CAN see the Pole Star

Navigating by the North Star (the Pole Star) is maybe a bit "advanced technique" for beginners, but it works in DayZ just like it's works on Real Earth ever since anyone ever started navigating

So we ALL know about the "no sun at night" problem (thanx wasnu), and we ALL know about the "sun hidden by clouds and rain" problem.

ALL i'm saying is the game takes place in the Northern Hemisphere; All of Eastern Europe is in the Northern Hemisphere, and so is Chernarus right ? That's all you need to know to survive and move in the direction want.

In the Northern Hemisphere the sun rises in the East and sets in the West BUT it does not go right directly over your head through the day, it goes round to the South. Between Dawn and Dusk the sun is always somewhere on the Southern side of that line between East and West. This is how the Planet Earth works, dude, it's worth knowing.

So if you have a compass you can tell if it's good by checking with the sun (at any time of the DAY)

And hey,  if you know the TIME (like if you had a wristwatch in DayZ for instance, or you just know the in-game time close enough) -  you can tell direction fairly accurately from the sun WITHOUT a compass at all.

OK - If its raining or so totally cloudy that even the trees don't cast a little itty-bit of shadow, then you DO what everyone has REALLY done for the last few hundred years.. you go look for a road, or a house or a village or a coast or a lake. then you try to figure what road  it is... it's easier than it was because we have roadsigns these days.. See what you remember of the map in your head, if you have an in game map, try to locate yourself on,  and move to the next map object to check. If you're totally lost then do what you need to survive till the sun comes back (how long will that take ? has it rained a LOT recently in DayZ ?)

OK - here's the quiz:

1 ) Am I making this up just to jazz you ?

4 ) What do Earth hemispheres have to do with the SUN

if you know the answers, go to  https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/202732-ban-the-person-above-you/page-49#entry2300095

I cant tell if your being serious or not about not being able to read a compass SO I didn't even read past the 1st sentence...I reported a problem with something in the game that i'm having along with my Battleeye not responding so its a problem that was beyond knowing how to read a compass>>and didn't sum1 even say there was an issue with the compass b4....may..nvr mind

let me guess your going to direct me on how to reinstall Battleeye..go ahead.........

-snip-

You tried. Time to wash your hands of this. Good hustle out there. *pat on the rump*

• Like 2

I cant tell if your being serious or not about not being able to read a compass SO I didn't even read past the 1st sentence...I reported a problem with something in the game that i'm having along with my Battleeye not responding so its a problem that was beyond knowing how to read a compass>>and didn't sum1 even say there was an issue with the compass b4....may..nvr mind

Cool, really No Problem

I was helping you with what you said in your first post and your name for the thread

I gave a FIRST-STEP, OBVIOUS, REALLY EASY way to CHECK if the compass is working or not.

Read about direction-finding in other threads (if you want to) - but no one's forcing yo' to read any of it.

If you are SURE the compass is not working, put in a BUG report.

xx

I left Starry yesterday Going West and ended up in the undeveloped part of the map+  went back to starry and went north east hoping i was going to NWAF and ended up in Severograd.

Haha, missed this the first time around. Irony is amazing.

I cant tell if your being serious or not about not being able to read a compass SO I didn't even read past the 1st sentence...

...you can lead a horse to an education, yada yada yada.

Edited by KenoSkir88

..er ..NO.....

OK - we all know you can't see the sun at night (thanx wasnu). In real life and in DayZ it's the same, because the sun works the SAME in real life and in DayZ.

At night in DayZ you CAN see the Pole Star

Navigating by the North Star (the Pole Star) is maybe a bit "advanced technique" for beginners, but it works in DayZ just like it's works on Real Earth ever since anyone ever started navigating (it always worked since a million years before that but no one noticed).

So we ALL know about the "no sun at night" problem , and we ALL know about the "sun hidden by clouds and rain" problem.

ALL I'm saying is the game takes place in the Northern Hemisphere (the North half of the whole planet Earth); All of Eastern Europe is in the Northern Hemisphere and so is Chernarus. - Right -  That's the only thing you need to know to survive and move in the direction you want.

In the Northern Hemisphere the sun rises in the East and sets in the West BUT it does not go right directly over your head through the day, it goes round to the South. Between Dawn and Dusk the sun is always somewhere on the Southern side of that line between East and West. So in mid morning it's somewhere towards SE, in mid afternoon its somewhere towards SW, and at noon its just exactly South of ya. But all the time its on the southern side, its NEVER on the Northern side of that East to West line.

This is how the Planet Earth works, dude, it's worth knowing.

So if you have a compass you can tell if it's good or not just by checking with the sun (at any time of the DAY)

And hey - if you know the in-gameTIME (like e.g. if you had a wristwatch in DayZ for instance, or you just know it or or you guess the in-game time close enough) -  you can call direction fairly accurately from the sun WITHOUT a compass at all.

OK - If its raining or so totally cloudy that even the trees don't cast a little itty-bit of shadow, then you DO what everyone has REALLY done for the last few hundred years.. you go look for a road, or a house or a village or a coast or a lake. then you try to figure what road  it is... it's easier than it was in the old times because we have roadsigns .. See what you remember of the map in your head (you could even look at the map before you play, get an idea of places and connecting roads and hills around where you're going to be - like folk do in the army, yas?).

if you have an in game map, try to locate on it your road or whatever map feature you found, and move to the next map object to check.

If you're totally lost then do what you need to do to survive till the sun comes back (how long will that take ? has it rained a LOT recently in DayZ ? ) Don't let yourself die or have a crisis just because there are no shadows around ATM.

OK - here's the quiz:

1 ) Am I making this up just to jazz you ? =  (N0)

4 ) What do Earth Hemispheres have to do with the SUN ?

xx

Thanks duder, this was really helpful :) Beans to the face.

Edited by KenoSkir88
  • Like 1

Thanks duder, this was really helpful :) Beans to the face.

I was pleased and amazed when I first found out that the sun and stars really work for navigation in DayZ.

In the DayZ Mod, the clocks on all the school buildings and civic buildings told the real in-game time.

The Brit SAS say it shorter:  

"sun by day, star by night, and don't use a compass when you're standing by a truck"

In DayZ SA the compass isn't attracted to iron.

The SAS also say "if you can't peel it boil it, and don't put anything in your mouth that is bigger than your head"

xx pilgrim

I was pleased and amazed when I first found out that the sun and stars really work for navigation in DayZ.

In the DayZ Mod, the clocks on all the school buildings and civic buildings told the real in-game time.

The Brit SAS say it shorter:  

"sun by day, star by night, and don't use a compass when you're standing by a truck"

In DayZ SA the compass isn't attracted to iron.

The SAS also say "if you can't peel it boil it, and don't put anything in your mouth that is bigger than your head"

xx pilgrim

Interestingly, once when i was completing a scuba navigation assessment dive i had forgotten my knife and ankle strap so i borrowed a friends knife which strapped to the wrist. Compass strapped to other wrist i confidently guided my group WAY off course because i didn't clock right away that my compass was being pulled off course by the big metal knife every time i raised my arms to check direction :D

• Like 1

Haha, missed this the first time around. Irony is amazing.

...you can lead a horse to an education, yada yada yada.

if you take that quote out of context w/out reading the rest then yes it looks as a troll post would look<<lol, that grammar << but if u would have checked a lil bit I wasn't referring to using the compass on that part>> at the time I went west using the compass and ended up in the N undev. zone not way the fk out west indev. zone> " I I then went NE via the compass hoping to end up at NWAF>> my suggestion/post if you will my good man says that the compass wasn't being entirely true at the moment so I tried to correct the difference but apparently it was only bugging at times> the compass hasn't gave me any trouble at in awhile but @ the time of this post it was really wonky my brother

if you take that quote out of context w/out reading the rest then yes it looks as a troll post would look<<lol, that grammar << but if u would have checked a lil bit I wasn't referring to using the compass on that part>> at the time I went west using the compass and ended up in the N undev. zone not way the fk out west indev. zone> " I I then went NE via the compass hoping to end up at NWAF>> my suggestion/post if you will my good man says that the compass wasn't being entirely true at the moment so I tried to correct the difference but apparently it was only bugging at times> the compass hasn't gave me any trouble at in awhile but @ the time of this post it was really wonky my brother

Fair enough mate if you meant differently to how it sounded you have my apologies. I'd suggest however that telling people to "rake the shit out of their teeth" for misunderstanding your incredibly poorly written description is a little bad form though. Brother.

The icing on the cake was when someone kindly wrote you a detailed account of how to navigate in the case of a broken compass, and you replied saying you wouldn't read past the 1st sentence.

Suggest you either improve your communication / writing skills OR lose the attitude when people inevitably don't understand what you're on about. Either is fine. Brother.

Edited by KenoSkir88

1) The topic is here since 30 Aug and you still fail to notice that the NWAF is not NE of Stary Sobor. Even the best compass in the world wouldn't take you the way you expected.

2) I'm quite positive the compass has been fixed and works fine 100% of the time, regardless of condition. I relied on it heavily in 0.58 and before.

3) The map is never upside down.

4) Pilgrim was in fact being serious so you can safely read past the first sentence, it's gonna be of great help to you.

5) Seriously, you come post a thread and don't even bother to check where the NWAF is in relation to Stary, come on dude:

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#4.056.069

Here, you're welcome.

• Like 2

PS: Roadsigns do lie, some of the blue ones are mixed up and reversed. At certain junctions, they used the same roadsign at different spots (so one sign says that Mogilevka is to the left and another that to the right).

• Like 2

PS: Roadsigns do lie, some of the blue ones are mixed up and reversed. At certain junctions, they used the same roadsign at different spots (so one sign says that Mogilevka is to the left and another that to the right).

Haha interesting :) though i have never come across a wrong one that i noticed. Any chance you could help me find one? Maybe mark it on a map or just tell me which way to walk from a landmark or something?

Cheers.

Haha interesting :) though i have never come across a wrong one that i noticed. Any chance you could help me find one? Maybe mark it on a map or just tell me which way to walk from a landmark or something?

Cheers.

I can't find the ones I mentioned (i.e. one roadsign just used twice at the same junction in different places), although I'm sure I've seen at least 3 of them. Somewhere off the coast, that's for sure. But looking for them, I found quite a few of signs just plain wrong and it turns the rule of thumb is apparently DON'T trust the roadsigns. At least when you're new to the game.

This one is just between Cherno and Elektro, where the railroad intersects with the road (073 120). I'm facing Cherno (W), Elektro is to the left and behind me (E), not to the right:

23j1lhs.jpg

This one is just South of Mogilevka, at 075 107. I'm facing South. In reality, Pusta is to my left and Cherno to my right:

1zqwwgn.jpg

Just a little farther North, still Mogilevka, 075 103. I'm facing West and in fact, Cherno is to my left:

900sgp.jpg

And this is further North, at the junction between Gorka, Polana and Dubrovka, 103 064. I'm facing South (Polana) and Gorka, of course, is to my right:

f23tyf.jpg

I think it's half of the junctions I ran across today and I know at least several more are screwed. I wonder if the devs are even aware of the screw-up. ;)

• Like 5

Haha yeah when I was new (to the map) I used to run around in circles trying to use signs and compass. Since I figured it out I just use the compass because there is a lot of misplaced signs. And the in-game map is a nightmare to use without years of military orienteering experience. If you need it I'd recommend the websites suggested in the thread already and have it on a second screen, tablet or phone. In fairness though, it has been a long time since I've had any problems with the compass.

But yes there is no universe that will take you from Stary Sobor to North-West Airfield by travelling north-east. Old and New Sobor are both South-East of the Airfield so travelling further East won't work. If you travelled West and miscalculated the North you would have easily hit towns or a military base. if the compass was broken/glitched then you probably ended up in the old Fields running around in circles.

Most likely what happened, and what ever happens in my own situations like this is just a quick glance at the compass and mistake one direction for another, especially when paranoid on high pop servers. 

• Like 1

^

Yes - If I'm paranoid I get into any cover, best in the trees somewhere, stand in the shadow against a tree (for safety), then turn until the compass shows me the direction I want.  So now, for instance I have the tree shadow off to my left and slightly in front .. then I move, keep the shadows about in the same position, just off my left and in front, and I can scan around for action at the same time.. any time I go around something, or get spun around, I just turn as I move on untill the shadow is back where it was... so you know you're going in about the right direction and you can concentrate on any dangers in the area..  

PS - Beanz to Kirov for the roadsign photos...

Edited by pilgrim

Interestingly, once when i was completing a scuba navigation assessment dive i had forgotten my knife and ankle strap so i borrowed a friends knife which strapped to the wrist. Compass strapped to other wrist i confidently guided my group WAY off course because i didn't clock right away that my compass was being pulled off course by the big metal knife every time i raised my arms to check direction :D

Know what you mean, friend - compasses can be mean-and-deadly, and they look so cute and cool and easy to use... (heh)

My stupid story: I was in a mountain refuge with a couple of young folk showing them how to take bearings on two peaks, then trace the berings back on the map to find your position now

(triangulate?)

So we had the map spread on a massive ancient wooden table in the refuge, and every time we took bearings from the door, and put them on the map - it didn't work.. the refuge was on the map and the lines crossed nowhere near the refuge... did it 3 or 4 times and always got the same bad result, the kids were really... really kinda bored, ya know?. Tried from outside further from the door in case of metal in the frame, and if you move the compass over a nail head it spins, so I could tell there were no nails near the middle of the table or under the map... 

Finally I look under this table feeling dumb (because I know there's nothing under the table, right, just a wooden floor) and there was a solid iron bar across each end underneath the planks to reinforce the two table ends, heh -  so anywhere near the middle of the table, the compass gave the exact same bad reading.. so the map wasn't lined up N-S correctly... so the bearings were always off the exact same way..

This is what you get when you try to teach someone a how-to ... (lesson one - try not to make an idiot of yourself)

I've seen kitted-up tourists up here (mountains) spread their map on the bonnet of their 4x4 and put their compass on it, and try to figure out where they want to go.... (hmm.)

=====

In case you havent heard of it -  "The SAS Survival Handbook" is a totally interesting little book - I want to put you on to a good thing -  it's pocket size and full of 100% tons of useful stuff about: plants, shelters, knots, clothing, first-aid, animal traps, crossing rivers, snow holes, fires, signalling, rafts, desert.. whatever.. It began selling to the public a long while back and gradually became famous. It's the basic read-it standard do/dont/how guide ( = "get one" ) . Brit military pilots carry it as part of their flying kit.

So this is a plug for the book, "SAS Survival Handbook" you can pick one up anywhere, look around the web. It's published in about 15 different languages, so you can get one for anybody (or just tell someone to buy it for you). It makes you think about stuff, ideas, techniques, and it tells you in an understandable way - also there is plenty of (funny and true) SAS-style info such as

[bear Traps] "If you must set a trap for a big dangerous animal, such as a bear, make sure the trap will definitely kill it, otherwise you'll be face to face with a really big, angry, wounded, dangerous animal  - this will not help your survival"

the guy who keeps updating it - Lofty Wiseman - is also a cool dude:

[edit: the SAS used a Parang as standard instead of a knife/machete - Lofty Wiseman talks about his modified knife on youtube, there are also other Lofty videos around there (plug):

and one for Whyherro123 and Tatanko and yo' other DayZ Dudes (very nice runthrough - the Lofty 101)

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2