custombark

Private vs. Public Servers

I'm curious on peoples opinions about private and public servers. As a player, from your perspective, what are the benefits and disadvantages for both? 

If you have two private servers, master and slave, are they connected? So your gear will carry over to any shard connected to the master server?

I'm curious on peoples opinions about private and public servers. As a player, from your perspective, what are the benefits and disadvantages for both? 

If you have two private servers, master and slave, are they connected? So your gear will carry over to any shard connected to the master server?

You can set them up like that, yes. As a player, I'm a fan of private servers. Since they were introduced, I don't see the appeal of playing on a public server.

• Like 6

I play on private servers because I hate getting ghosted in on by hoppers the odd time I go to military sites for a vest, pro tip: hopping is almost useless in .58 anyway.

On private if you only have one you are always stuck with the population because you cant jump your character to a more or less populated server.

If your a long term survivor type player private is the way to go, if you like short single serving pvp then public is where you belong. 

Personally I prefer private hives, cuts down on server hopping and script kiddies( not saying they don't exist on private hive). I tend to play on RP servers but if I'm playing with my crew, we jump on public hive because some friends don't like the rules some private hives use.

In regards to master/slave shard private hives, yes they are connected and yes your gear transfers between those servers. I haven't tried this since .58 went to stable but I haven't heard of any changes in this policy.

The thing is when they give us the ability to mod servers, it will become just like Dayz mod. You'll have a portion of the community who want to play vanilla Dayz standalone and those who want an enhanced experience. Neither choice is right or wrong, just a preference on how you want to play

Edited by Tobias Winfro

Playing on private servers means you'll run into more of the same folk, which can be cool. It can also take away the unpredictability of Dayz, but not so much. There will always be new players on private servers.

To me the advantages of private servers always outway the public servers.

1. No Ghosting

2. No server hopping across multiple servers to gather loot quicker

3. Reputation - for example on Gents of Novo my Novo is a "safe" city meaning it is the place to go and trade. Various traders will actually set up shop in the main square and my friend and I have actually spent time growing gardens and offering food to anyone passing through. With it being some of the same people coming on you end up with things like, "Oh, my friend told me about you guys." and such. If someone is a backstabber who will try and "friend" you only to take you out while you are drinking or bandaging or something other people hear about it and start to be wary of them. 

4. Loot - a lot of times on public servers you get somewhere and 100 people have been through that spot in the last few hours leaving NOTHING. The logged on here, looted a town/base, and logged off to go do the same on another server. On a private server only those who regularly play on that server have been on and gone through the area and only if they played long enough to reach that area. 

• Like 1

Public servers:

• better for playing in a group/with friends (find a suitable server and meeting up)
  • bigger loot economy (not important yet)
  • better for playing on a certain population number
  • better access to your character in general (server down? join another!)
  • single character allows for more longtime immersion and progress (especially for casual players)

Private servers

• an established community when playing on the same server
  • game dynamics (no server hopping means people have to use more ingame routes)
  • less loot overflow (no server hopping for loot/looting empty servers)
  • more intermediate geared players (as opposed to freshspawn/highly geared on public)
  • no server hoppers picking clean higher value loot areas
  • allow for more characters (whose lifes matter less though)
  • no ghosting (combat logging is still possible)
  • no server hoppers (again because this one is big)
  • whitelists possible (can be a negative though)
  • no server hopping (!)

Forgot one: 

Playing with Friends - Since each character on a private server is it's own you can all stop where you are in a group and geared up and then join back up later one when you can all play again and you haven't left the area, gotten kills, or had to NOT PLAY for several days. Use another private server for a single character and one you play with a group of friends. In public if I can't play for three days my friends are likely to be all the way across the map or regearing the next time we get a change to play together. ;)

• Like 1

PRIVATE: Plain and simple, no server hoppers!

Edited by Jacobahalls
  • Like 1

since I started playing again after .58 I've been playing on a private server, but I don't think it's restarted in a few days - I couped over my lorry on to its side on a sharp corner, hoping a restart rectifies the problem - what's the story with server restarts now? is this the new norm?

I've mostly tried to play on a single public server, and just run around that one server and see what's up.  I don't really see lots of server hoppers, but I think the one I chose to make my camps on is usually a low-pop hop-stop.  Once I can confirm that they have fixed persistence, I'll try posting taunting messages getting people to come look for camps and care packages, to help populate the server.  I prefer the public servers mostly because I can always just log on and play when I get time.

I am interested in trying a private server, but I'm having trouble selecting one that I want to stick with, because of the potential waste of time if it goes dark.  Anyone have any good recommendations for private servers/hives?