Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw-666

Survival game ... a survival timer ?

Hello and good day,

I am trying to expose in my opinion a very basic feature that DayZ needs ASAP

If this is a survival game, am i crazy to think that we should have a survival timer ?
Im open to discussion about this, and more than happy to read all opinions against this, and i will try to reply if they are focused and on point.

Not only a survival timer, but maybe special loot for people that can endure the hardness of Chernarus / zombies / KOS and still make it alive.

Teamwork would be even more important, and death would be even more avoidable.
I really dislike people spawning far from loot points, and commiting suicide.
I mean, this is a game ... people should play it, have fun and maybe improve their skills.
Trying to have an easy gameplay, spawning near guns and loot, it's not remarkable, not even something to be proud.

It would add a role-play importance to the game, since people's interest would really be not to die ...

Let me know what you guys think.

• Like 1

Sounds good, maybe as a page in a droppable journal (since a journal that takes up no space you can't drop makes people shit theirselves cause that means that no guns are being added in for KOSing -_-

Edited by Owen.

Length of time in game is pretty meaningless, in my opinion.  There's a huge difference between staying alive for a month on low pop servers in the north and high pop servers at the pvp hotspots.  Lone wolves on low pop private servers will always have more noticeable age progression.

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to trivial buffs and gifts, but age progression will never be an indication of skill, in a broad sense.

I really dislike people spawning far from loot points, and commiting suicide.

Some people enjoy certain playstyles in this game and suicide respawning is vital to it.  Players will respawn to meet back up with like-minded friends who prefer to deathmatch on the coast.  For good or bad, it is what it is.  Suicide respawning debate is old and tired where neither side seems to win.  I suggest you avoid it as a reason to implement a survival timer.

Stats are coming. Zombie kill counts, time survive, and who knows what else. It will be viewable on the website.

• Like 1

Well I like the idea of a death timer after you die (so you cant respawn on that server for a few hours to prevent the deathmatch type kids running and gunning unrealistically) so if that's what a survival timer is that'd be ok in my book ...

As for the gifts that will never happen or perks for being alive for a long time , but there are things coming called "soft skills" and they improve when you do something , but not with age ... So for instance if you fix your v3s often you will eventually be faster at fixing it and have less damage to parts when salvaging (that is just an example , devs havent confirmed this specific example but I'm almost 100% sure we will see this example eventually as the devs stated they mostly want non-aggressive soft skills).

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 1

Sounds good, maybe as a page in a droppable journal (since a journal that takes up no space you can't drop makes people shit theirselves cause that means that no guns are being added in for KOSing -_-

A lootable journal would be pretty interesting. If it was automatically populated with special events (killed another player, got sick, almost starved to death, etc.) it would be even more interesting. So you could find out about the life of the character you just killed or even read it while the player was still alive to figure out of this player should live or die.

• Like 1

Btw, I really like the idea of "soft skills" like experience at doing stuff.
Someone more experienced would be faster and better doing something, of course.
The debate on making it easy for people to play the game as a COD or a BF , as far as im concerned it's a foolish argument.
If you want to play a PVP game, there are so many out there. Better, finished and developed just for PVP.
This game is not like that, and developing this game with that as a rule is just foolish.
This is a game like no other, it plays with human feelings ... trust, compassion, revenge, RP, friendship, betrayal ... and until people see this game as much more than PVP, we will a long fight on our hands.

I agree that some sort of survival timer would be cool, just to know how long my character has been around. However in my opinion we shouldn't get special loot or anything like that for surviving a long time. Surviving in DayZ is easy, even on full population servers (throughout the entirety of 0.55 stable I didn't die once on the public hive, playing regularly as a lone wolf on full servers). You only die when you go to high-traffic areas intending to find other players...which, from a survival perspective, is the worst thing you can do. Even so you don't need anything more than a RAK or a Pistol to defend yourself, you never need military loot.