Stiello

Inventory & Hud concepts.

Hi All,

I’ve worked out a concept for a “new” intuitive and updated inventory & hud system.

Please take a good look at this concept artwork and give feedback.

UiI75C5.jpg

i5mJJ0m.jpg

4XhtIpe.jpg

LCpzrUz.jpg

5LWGhgn.jpg

Some big changes have been made, that would change the way of item storage and gameplay.

• Where the current system uses slots to fill a backpack or other container, this system uses percentage.

Why use percentage instead of slots. With the slot system you can only have a specific amount of items, depending on the slots. Percentage could drastically upgrade the amount of items.

- For example: A pen would take one slot in a backpack which is just as much as a can of Tactical Bacon, in real life you can probably fit 40 pens inside a can. Almost nobody is carrying a pen because its a waste of space. if a pen would be 0.5% space in a backpack. much more people wil carry a pen and have the ability to leave notes. this is one out of 10.000 examples why it should not be slots.

• An open design which maintains focus on the environment, bandits & Zeds.

When in real-life you stick your hand in your pocket, you don't stick your face in it. Also when you take something out of a backpack you can stil look around.

• Don't show the player as a miniature it just takes up space.

If you want to see yourself you can use alt to view yourself. in first person only you should find a mirror. In real life you cant see yourself either.

• A scroll action menu which is much more clear.

Obvious reasons.

• The hud is minimalistic and does not distract.

You should see this as the voice in your head. If your hungry you’ll know it, the state of which your in is given a color, Red means its bad, etc. Stamina is also something you feel in real-life therefor it should be mentioned, so you don’t run yourself to death.

I would appreciate feedback on how you think this should or should not work.

Stiello.

Edited by Stiello
  • Like 3

I like the small HUD on the bottom left which shows healthy status, etc. I just don't understand the inventory system, so I won't say anything about it. However, I do support your "percentage" idea.

• Like 1

Not a fan of the inventory menu(though it looks like it would work well for consoles) i love the status portion on the bottom left and the radial action menu(reminds me of ACE in ARMA).

• Like 1

I am bit confused about inventory too, but I would REALLY LOVE to see that menu on screenshot when you are locking door. It looks cool, while we have that bad-looking Arma menu for doing things.

• Like 1

sorry, really not my kind of style, i think it looks terrible

especially for the menu with directional selection choices, scrolling with the mousewheel is faster and you don't need to move the mouse for that

the hotbar looks good though

• Like 1

sorry, really not my kind of style, i think it looks terrible

especially for the menu with directional selection choices, scrolling with the mousewheel is faster and you don't need to move the mouse for that

the hotbar looks good though

Thnx for feedback. The directional selection choices thingy. you can scroll it in circles one scrol down is right scroll up is left.

• Like 1

Thnx for feedback. The directional selection choices thingy. you can scroll it in circles one scrol down is right scroll up is left.

of course, that would make sense

did you try experimental with "-newui" btw? i heard they are working on the UI in the current Exp. patch

of course, that would make sense

did you try experimental with "-newui" btw? i heard they are working on the UI in the current Exp. patch

Did not try it yet, but did see the designs for it. That was the inspiration for me to create something new. Leaving the "old" panels style behind. I don't say the panels don't work, but its time for something new imo.

Nice work.  I'm some-what of a minimal UI purist when it comes to DayZ.  I really like the lack of health-bars and things like that.  

That said - there's something to be said for improving the way in which the health stats are displayed currently and the clunky scroll-through menus.  Sure this is all in the dev't pipeline but it's nice to see ideas like this. :)

• Like 2

Nice work, it helps to see everyone's different perspectives.

My biggest problem with your design is that it is open. It seems convenient, but I think it's better to separate the game world from the inventory, by obscuring. I always liked the Souls series feeling while looking in your inventory. The game was single player, but had no pause, and you had to be safe to look in the inventory. The view was obscured, kind of like being distracted in reality. Having this open inventory would detract the in-game experience for me.

I also like the block system over percentages. But, what they have now should get a little work. Have some items take half a block, like pen, can opener, lock pick. Also, the slots should mimic the clothing shape. Jeans should have four separate slots so you can't put a hacksaw in jeans.

The context system looks cool, this is going to get overhauled far as I know. The ArmA scroll action is an abomination, lol.

• Like 1

The current DayZ inventory is just a placeholder.

What they have in mind is pretty dopee.

(lolz I'm just here for the beans)

It looks great for a console. Not a fan of the health bar. You shouldn't be able to know exactly where your health level is. 

Otherwise, I think it would fit on the console port.

It looks great for a console. Not a fan of the health bar. You shouldn't be able to know exactly where your health level is.

Otherwise, I think it would fit on the console port.

it's a stamina bar. Health should indeed not be shown. Stamina is something you can feel. When you're running you'll know when to stop. Before you die of a heart atack. But thnx for the feedback.

Too much clutter. Also, this is a repost from the developer discussion section. 

the new hud, i cant see the outter edges nor my stats? I thought this might be the sizing option but ive been through all the ones in the wide/triple head/normal section, what am i missing?

Edited by KandyCid

sorry for jumping your thread btw, its obstructive and i kinda prefer the original one