Sign in to follow this  
gesundheitk

Notification of item dropped from your hands

Let's face it, sometimes all of your pockets are full.

However, you can still hold it in your hands... the only problem is if you're not paying too much attention, you will inevitably drop it. Unfortunately, while we're scouting out for other players or sorting through loot/supplies quickly, it happens that an item is suddenly lost from your fingers you swore was there a second ago!

A notification such as "You have dropped (item name) from your hands" in your sidebar would be a really neat addition since a lot of time, I find my pockets to be full and a slight bit of inattention leaves to the loss of a brass knuckle or a sewing kit; a piece of invaluable equipment that would be overlooked otherwise.

Let me know what you think.

Here is my absolutely amazing totally not photoshopped picture of what I'm talking about.

BAXq3Yy.jpg

• Like 5

I can see this in DayZ, especially since you dropped .22 rounds xD

Considering they are moving away from the message spam i doubt this will be added.

• Like 1

I can see this in DayZ, especially since you dropped .22 rounds xD

Considering they are moving away from the message spam i doubt this will be added.

Whoops, xD haha. I remember one of those being .380.

Yeah, can be an issue especially in 1pp. I've thought about this before since I occasionally find a hatchet or something as a freshspawn and end up losing it because I ate something. I hope they eventually do away with the text updates and go with icons or something more elegant.

From what I've heard, the bottom left notifications are only a placeholder for some other form of notifying players of their current status. Unless they change their mind, we won't have this.

Atleast in the bottom left hand corner.

I'm betting this gets fixed with physics, you see the item move forward and drop with sound effect. But now that seems so far away from happening.

I dont see why we shouldnt have a message.. when i drop things in real life my brain tells me i dropped something from my hands and isnt that my dayz text ?  B)

I have wished for something like this a lot of times - mostly out of frustration of course. I've lost some pretty high end gear this way. 

Though mostly out of greed - running around with two main weapons, probably dying sometime down the road without the chance to ever fire either of them...

I dont see why we shouldnt have a message.. when i drop things in real life my brain tells me i dropped something from my hands and isnt that my dayz text ?  B)

Problem is - I've dropped things in real life without noticing. There I've said it. Clever, "careful" organization of your inventory is part of the gameplay. This can be learned to be avoided. If it gives me an edge over other players... the "droppers"... I'm all for it.

So my opinion on this now is: do not implement a notification. Sound of the item dropping on the floor is okay. Drowned by other noise? Not paying attention? Dropping stuff it in tall grass? Your loss.