Sign in to follow this  
philbur

Hicks' interview from last month

Found a YouTube podcast from Basement Underground with Brian Hicks last month.

I missed it and I am sad....it really put a lot of my concerns on hold, as Hicks does a great job.

If you have not listened to it here is the link. (Hicks' interview on Basement Underground)

THIS should be the stuff they post as Status Updates....it goes a long way in keeping the faith.

I suggested this last year, BTW....that they should release Twitch Streams showing bugs or progress and talk about their stuff. It would be FAR better than a thousand threads all randomly talking about the Dev processes.

• Like 3

This is an amazing interview to listen too. If anyone has ever complained about DayZ they need to listen to this. If you care about the future of DayZ you need to listen to this. It talks about the problems with Alpha, roadmap, and upgrading the engine.

It is really nice to see how the devs see everything now and how they go about things. They need to go more public about their views on issues with the game. It is really nice to now know what the dev team expects and what I should expect.

Thanks Hicks!

Edited by Jacobahalls

Indeed this is what the community needs to be pacified. Would love a monthly podcast in this vein. It is easily digestible, and answers most if not all common gripes I see on the official and steam forums. I realize it would be quite time consuming on behalf of  and the rest of team, but man it would go a long way with the community.

• Like 1

I'd never heard of the guy when I initially bought the game but he's earned my respect since rocket left. Mainly it's because I see him in so many streams etc but also because he recognises that it's not really the consumers fault that they don't come from a software development background and can't be expected to understand the whole 'alpha' concept.

I'd never heard of the guy when I initially bought the game but he's earned my respect since rocket left. Mainly it's because I see him in so many streams etc but also because he recognises that it's not really the consumers fault that they don't come from a software development background and can't be expected to understand the whole 'alpha' concept.

That concept has really been broken by so many AAA publishers rolling in Alpha/beta access as a pre-order bonus. If were fair most of these are more or less complete games and the alpha/beta is more of a showcase to get people making videos and hype more views and friends up to buy the game. its a pure marketing strategy.

• Like 2

That concept has really been broken by so many AAA publishers rolling in Alpha/beta access as a pre-order bonus. If were fair most of these are more or less complete games and the alpha/beta is more of a showcase to get people making videos and hype more views and friends up to buy the game. its a pure marketing strategy.

He actually mentions that in the talk. I've been involved in some software (non-game) alphas and this is a lot more like them than say bf4 alpha.

I think this alpha is actually unique as any other proper alphas I've been involved with has never even been worried about the alphas being fully functional whereas the stable branch of this aims to give a playable game.

Great to hear in this interview that development will go on past 1.0. Have to say that's another amazing thing that bohemia have going for them. Most other studios would have stopped arma 3 development ages ago and just be pushing arma 4. They are kind of unique in that respect.

Edited by freethink

Thanks guys...glad you feel the same about this kind of thing being important for us "Alpha Testers".

How long do you think it would take for Hicks or Eugen to rattle off a quick synopsis of the weeks' work...with maybe a Twitch Stream demonstrating some of it? Not long and not hard....

Hope they go this route. See ya'll on the Coast.....I'm the one with his primary still over his shoulder!

• Like 1