Sign in to follow this  
Luftpancake

Incapacitation *REDONE*

Hello survivors of the standalone! I have decided to remake my old post "Incapacitation from extreme pain" due to it having flaws and older ideas. Right now in Dayz the only way to incapacitate people is to break their legs or knock them unconscious. However, In real life there are much more ways to do this. Have you ever had one of those moments where you hit somebody with an axe and you know they should be down in Day-z? With this idea, this problem can be fixed while adding more realism. If somebody is hit in a vital spot or in a weak spot they can easily be incapacitated due to either pain, or quite literally not being able to move. If it is due to pain, adrenaline can be a factor, Some characters have more adrenaline than others. If you have a bunch of adrenaline, you are harder to incapacitate from pain, it takes much more than a hit to a weak spot to bring you down. Less adrenaline players will be easier to hurt. Now on to vital incapacitation: If your character is shot in the lung he will instantly become incapacitated. If the player is not treated within 2 minutes from this shot, he will die. To treat this vital shot, you cannot do much. You have a slight chance of surviving if you stay prone and bandage the wound. If you stay prone, you have a slight chance of living due to you trying to prevent the liquid from filling your lungs. If you manage to survive you will be "ok" from then on, but once stamina is introduced, you wont be able to run as long or as fast, you wont be able to swim much at all. You also limp around. Due to a lung shot being fatal and needing urgent medical care, your character has a 75% chance of eventually randomly dying from such an accident in a short period of time. Therefor, if you get shot in the lung, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye. I'm exhausted while writing this, correct me on any facts in the replies or give me ideas. Thanks for reading.

hitboxes could not change I guess, I suggest you to take a look at Wobo recent video for more information.

Something you have to keep in mind is : the more complex script (lot of "if / or / and / then") the more it's heavy and impact server performance.

I do think that shooting and wounds need to be more realistic. Right now everyone just aims for headshots, because they do the most damage. However, realistically, it would probably be wiser to aim for the vital organs. lungs, heart, etc. Not only for shooting humans, but animals too. As a hunter, you have to pick your shots carefully when hunting animals IRL. I'll use the average white-tail deer as an example. You usually want to get a broadside shot, and aim for the general area a couple inches above their front leg. This is where the heart and lungs are both located, along with a couple other important organs. There are other areas that will kill the deer, but this is the easiest and usually the quickest kill. The same concept applies for humans. If you shoot them in a vital organ, they will probably die fairly quickly, possibly even instant. However, if you shoot them in, say, the stomach or intestines, it likely wont be a kill shot. They very well might die later, but most likely from the wound getting infected, not from the wound itself. I like the idea of being able to pick my shots according to what I want to do. If I just want an instant kill, and im at a distance, always aim for center of mass, AKA the upper chest. If I execute a hostage at close range, I'd probably just go with a headshot since theres no chance of missing at point blank. If I want to incapitate someone at mid to far range, I'd go for either gut-shot or legs. I think eventually I might make my own thread about this stuff before I get too far offtrack here. Good ideas though, I hope they add this kind of stuff in.

• Like 1

I snuck up behind someone once and hit them in the back of the neck with a firefighter's axe.

IRL that would've killed them. But instead they just turned around and shot me. If the developers are ever planning on making weapons harder to find, then they better improve melee fighting. Making melee fighting almost just as dangerous as with a weapon. I carry a combat knife around if I ever need to use it. But I use an improvised knife to open cans, cut bushes, etc. The thing is though.. If I attack an unaware foe with my 'Combat' Knife, and they have a gun, they'll probably still win. Even if I sneak up behind them. Unless I can get a good 2-3 head stabs, but still. 

Edited by therandomredstone
  • Like 1