TheMachine

I KNOW you're an exploiter if you disagree

don't request everyone else's play experience to be more shitty so that yours is slightly better.

Sounds exactly like what you are doing.

The point to my post was to show yet another /common/ situation(google it, it's a major problem with Arma II) where a part of the community would be hurt by such an action.

"Don't do risky things" - the entire game is risky. The game becomes unplayable when going into town means death because your game decides to glitch out. There are even some un-answered threads here regarding the issue in troubleshooting.

There was a better suggestion on the boards which at least fixes server hopping exploitation: if you join another server, you cannot hop back in to the original server for an hour.

There goes half of the people who exploit disconnect issues. As far as people disconnecting to avoid death(IE they just got shot, and they are dying and can avoid it by alt-f4ing) there needs to be some sort of "update character status" done whenever the code breaks out of an operational state.

In closing:

There are WAY better ways to fix this problem than by screwing with people who have legitimate problems. Traditional ways of fixing it, such as a disconnect timer, do not work in a game where Death = Start Over. Having something which punishes people for Engine/driver/operation system/hardware/internet failings is not productive in any sort of term.

If you're just demanding an immediate fix to something which requires a more sophisticated solution, than get over it. Your stats are not going to save beyond this Alpha, so take it easy.

"Also, there is never a 100% 'safe' place to log out, someone could find your body after you logged out and kill you."

True, but lying prone in a bush is pretty damn sneaky. It would have to be one in a million for someone to walk into you. Slightly different in a town but you could always log out, out of town.

"Internet issues shouldn't be considered at all. If you don't have proper internet in your area, look for another hobby or move to an area that supplies what you need for your hobby."

Not so easy for some, especially those who are less well off, or those who aren't the home owner. Also it's easy to have this opinion if you have good internet. It's a much different matter for those who actually have the issues.

Anyway I think the timer (if it was ever added) should be relatively short - and if you take damage in this time the timer is greatly extended. This prevents you logging out on the run from zombies or while being shot - while leaving you less prone to attacks when disconnected (providing you aren't being hit). It's also just a general convenience having a shorter disconnect time when you are actually safe.

And I agree with everything wired says above.

I disagree.

I Do not agree and I never shall. Do what you must, Raul, but never return to this dojo again. /fistofthenorthstar

I like the idea of a timer, but 30 seconds is too long. Maybe 10-15 seconds at most, if they are far enough away to do this, then you haven't been cheated as much. In addition, 30 seconds due to dropped Internet would be long enough to be raped by zeds, while a shorter time would hopefully not cause this.

how does d/c ing affect you? if people wanna do it' date=' who cares?

[/quote']

Presumably you are trolling, but in the event you are not D/C certainly affects you if you are in a fire fight with another player and they just quite - it completely destroys one of the core components of the game (PvP). To think otherwise is silly.

I think having a timer for disconnecting is a must - I would prefer a 5-10 minute for a "standard" timeout. If you actually get into a tactical firefight you are usually taking cover and evaluating options - a 5-10 second timer would be useless as this is not the type of game where you go charging after enemies. Unless you catch someone in the wide open, 5-10 seconds is nothing and wouldn't functionally change anything. They could just go prone behind a ditch and D/C.

I think they could also introduce a "camping" feature, where you could build a fire/pitch a tent, sit by it for 30 seconds and be able to safely log off.

I understand some people have subpar internet connections, but we also have to set a minimum expectation; you are trying to play a persistent, perma-death online survival game - a solid internet connection should be a presumed minimum for such an experience.

how does d/c ing affect you? if people wanna do it' date=' who cares?

[/quote']

Other than Rocket calling it an exploit?

There are two instances where people D/C on purpose which affect other people(not zombies.):

1) to hop servers, switch to an advantagous spot and log back in.

2) To avoid being shot by someone.

So it IS an issue which needs to be addressed. Just not by a way which punishes people who do not fall in the above category(Or who are not trying to despawn zombies)

snipped for space

I hate to repeat myself, but AGAIN standard MMO solutions do not work with this game.

Mother fucker ignored my request for him to buy me a new PC.

God damn it, son. You want that fix? You better buy me and every other fuck-stick here with a shitty computer a brand new one. As I said before: "I want one of those high-end ones". About 3 grand will be just fine.

Now - get on it so we can get your lame ass idea rolling and my computer will stop crashing.

When you are aggroed in Eve Online you can't log off for 15 minutes. Or you can log off and go cry to mommie' date=' but your ship will stay in space to be destroyed.

[/quote']

Please learn the game mechanics before commenting on EveOnline. You can log out whenever you want but your ship will emergency warp to a random safe spot 1,000,000KM away from where you logged for 1 minute before disappearing, if 'aggressed' the same will happen until it has been 15 minutes since YOU last committed something considered aggressive which both leave you open to chance of being killed.

DayZ can't really offer anything similar, unless when you log off your character emergency runs for a minute before disappearing?

In the 24 hours I've played this game I've had more disconnects than I've had blue screens on Windows 95/98 combined. So having me lose everything each time... I think it would kill the game, even the OP would be furious when his other half trips the electric board in his house and thus loses connection...

Nothing should ever be implemented that can affect even the supposedly miniscule numbers of people you think would be fodder to your system. There should never be any implementation that would accidentally put unlucky people in the crosshairs, not matter how small the number is.

A system that does as such, is a system that does not work, and should find a peaceful place to die.

Please learn the game mechanics before commenting on EveOnline. You can log out whenever you want but your ship will emergency warp to a random safe spot 1' date='000,000KM away from where you logged for 1 minute before disappearing, if 'aggressed' the same will happen [b']until it has been 15 minutes since YOU last committed something considered aggressive which both leave you open to chance of being killed.

This is wrong/outdated. The Eve PvP logoff timer is trigged by both incoming and outgoing aggression.

It also refreshes if the pilot in question is fired upon while logged off.

I fully agree. I would rather take the chance of losing my loot to connection than have another player hunter alt F4 his way out of what he had coming.

Eve online is a horrible comparison, because you have insurance.

I live in the United States and not a single DSL/Cable provider is within reach where I live. (A suburb of Little Rock, Arkansas). Only an ignorant fool would think everyone has some awesome stable 100 ping or less connection.

So we should all suffer for where you choose to live? I live in MN so I want a federal subsidy that people in CA pay for for having to buy a snowblower...

Yea sure' date='

if it was that simple it would have been implemented already though. There was even an attempt at a 5 second logout timer which didnt seem to work correctly.

I think an intermediate solution might be to simply kill players that log out and are bleeding or unconcious. It might not solve all the D/C problems, but a good part of it, and it is easy to do technically.

[/quote']

Kill people who log out while bleeding? This would just make more problems because I have logged out before not aware that I was bleeding and I'm sure many other people have to.

not passing judgement on you as a person but what a load of crap. i've never once logged out while bleeding accidentally.

Yea sure' date='

if it was that simple it would have been implemented already though. There was even an attempt at a 5 second logout timer which didnt seem to work correctly.

I think an intermediate solution might be to simply kill players that log out and are bleeding or unconcious. It might not solve all the D/C problems, but a good part of it, and it is easy to do technically.

[/quote']

Kill people who log out while bleeding? This would just make more problems because I have logged out before not aware that I was bleeding and I'm sure many other people have to.

not passing judgement on you as a person but what a load of crap. i've never once logged out while bleeding accidentally.

God damn it' date=' son. You want that fix? You better buy me and every other fuck-stick here with a shitty computer a brand new one. As I said before: "I want one of those high-end ones". About 3 grand will be just fine.

Now - get on it so we can get your lame ass idea rolling and my computer will stop crashing.

[/quote']

How about you don't play games your beige PC can't handle. And if you do, don't go on the dev forums for that game demanding that everyone else be hampered by your cheap ass.

I live in the United States and not a single DSL/Cable provider is within reach where I live. (A suburb of Little Rock' date=' Arkansas). Only an ignorant fool would think everyone has some awesome stable 100 ping or less connection.

[/quote']

Oh, okay so everyone else has to suffer for the inadequacies of your ISP choice?

You know what guys, my monitor colour isn't that fantastic -- Can we make it so all players show up as luminous pink so that I'm on a level footing to everyone else? This is really damn unfair guys!!!

So it IS an issue which needs to be addressed. Just not by a way which punishes people who do not fall in the above category(Or who are not trying to despawn zombies)

I hate to repeat myself' date=' but AGAIN standard MMO solutions do not work with this game.

[/quote']

Logout timer is (in theory) pretty elegant solution to both DC and farming, it might have some server side hairyness and there's always the risk of losing connection in a bad place and dying but it really isn't anything new, just a sudden lag definitely means the difference between life and death if the situation is sticky.

Are there really no other reasons than "I have shitty internet and don't wont to be at risk because of it" against this ? (crappy power is totally unacceptable excuse, if you're not running your computer [and modem] on UPS you're asking for breakage [i live in the countryside, the UPSes trigger many times a day to smooth out transients])

More importantly what other solutions (that does not punish those that have shitty connections) would we have to the two problems that the timer-system would solve ?

Please if you have good ideas to contribute, so so here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=23764&pid=225467#pid225467

God damn it' date=' son. You want that fix? You better buy me and every other fuck-stick here with a shitty computer a brand new one. As I said before: "I want one of those high-end ones". About 3 grand will be just fine.

[/quote']

How about you don't buy games your beige PC can't handle. And if you do, don't go on the dev forums for that game demanding that everyone else be hampered by your cheap ass.

Its not like this 'fix' will come out of no where, its not like you wont know about it. No one is forcing you to play this game. If there is going to be PvP you need to have logout timers, its pretty simple. This kind of feature WILL be implemented, maybe not now maybe not at all on Arma 2, maybe it wont be implemented until Arma 3, but it WILL be implemented. When it does I can't wait for all the server hoppers to cry. And I will welcome the tears of people with 3rd world internet trying to use the internet. Rolling blackouts, tornados, hurricanes, everyone is welcome to cry about those also.

Name another game that has PvP where you can insta dc to safety? I can't think of one..

have so if you're hit, you get a timer placed on you meaning your body/items/health is still tracked and replaced by an NPC that can't be healed by friends but can be looted. that way if you get hit and Alt-F4 you will die no matter what.

too much stuff

I recommend you view my post a few before that one.

No, log out timer is NOT elegant, and AGAIN MMO STYLE MEASURES do not work for a MAJOR reason: In MMOs you don't lose everything after death. Even in Eve, you have insurance.