• Winchester model 70
    • SVD
    • Sporter
    • Blaze
    • CR 527
    • Trumpet

im glad the sporter is getting some love in this

sporter is my fav gun

Yea, Iv tested the sporter with the hunting scope, and when used properly it can be deadly.

Really depends on a lot of factors: location, surroundings, target, purpose, etc. Never tried the SVD yet but if I need to make an "one shot, one kill" kill then I'll use the Winchester.

However for silent sniping I think the Sporter is best. It doesn't do the trick with 1 bullet but think about what you can do to a target whenever you hit the person in the legs, total annihilation.

I certainly wouldn't count out the AKM with Kasthan scope either. If you have a drum mag and a silencer it's very, very deadly.

Your certainly right about the AKM, very good gun, however im only looking for info on long range snipers atm

Why did OP forget the Mosin? considering it was the first sniper to be added.

AKM + PSO wins hands down. Zooms enough, low recoil, good damage, fully automatic and has a sustainable firing rate. It is everything good about the Sporter and SVD combined.

Could you add the Mosin? With the compensator and PU Scope it's the second most accurate gun.You surely do not need the Longarnge Scope to snipe with it.

Still for me the Winchester 70 wins: Not that hard to find, abundant high caliber ammo that shrinks down to pistol round size while carried*, very accurate, can mount the Hunting Scope (that makes it even more accurate*), easy to handle even in close quarters* and doesn't even require a magazine.

The SVD performs better in actual combat but is much rarer so I would rank it second.

The Mosin (as written above more accurate than anything but the SVD) would be third. Tied with the Blaze that gives you great burst and also uses the same shrinking* abundant round as the Winchester.

The Trumpet is easy to get and easy to feed but it lacks damage output. The Sporter got more but you need a magazine (guns are easy to find, bullets are easy to find, magazines for some reason are not). Both benefit greatly from magic zeroing on the Hunting Scope*. The CR-527 is basically a worse Winchester 70. That needs a magazine. And military grade ammo*. Because of that

Now all of the latter weapons pale in combat performance compared to assault rifles who also benefit from magic zeroing* (especially AK family) and are actually more accurate as their detachable handguards and stocks tend to somehow reduce their dispersion* while fixed ones do not. However, assault rifles tend to run into similar difficulties than the SVD and lack the common high powered rounds. Sure you can spray but it depletes your military garde ammo and makes it easier for others to spot you.

*Which is stupid.

Neither the Mosin with PU, nor the AKM with PSO are sniping weapons. The former has the accuracy but lacks a sight worth much above 200m (if that), The latter has the sight, but not the accuracy IME, especially compared to a Winchester.

An AK might be a better all-rounder if you can only carry one gun. But that's why we have the MP5.

Neither the Mosin with PU, nor the AKM with PSO are sniping weapons. The former has the accuracy but lacks a sight worth much above 200m (if that), The latter has the sight, but not the accuracy IME, especially compared to a Winchester.

An AK might be a better all-rounder if you can only carry one gun. But that's why we have the MP5.

I was gonna reply to everyone, but this guy said it all. I know alot of people prefer weapons like the AK as their weapon of choice. But I'm not trying to find people's favorite gun, I'm trying to find people's favorite sniper, and the weapons iv listed are basically all the sniper's in the game. I even tossed up whether or not I should put the trumpet in there, but it takes a hunting scope, so I included it.

So If your weapon of choice isn't included on this list, then I'm afraid its not a sniper. Back in the mod I could hit a target at 400m with the En-field, But that doesn't make the En-field a sniper. So even if one of you could hit long range targets with mosin PU (or others), it still isn't a sniper. (Unless there's a weapon no one has mentioned on this thread that I don't know about)

Basically any weapon that cant hit a target at 800m consistently is not a sniper in my eye's.

Edited by 97ADU Doug

I guess I'll just throw this out here, I actually love the Longhorn pistol, no probs out to 300 meters or more depending, and being able to store it in a bag or clothing item, it doesn't scream "I'm sniping people!" But as far as effectiveness, I'd say the model 70 with a hunting scope.

The blaze hunting rifle is great for novice snipers such as myself. I generally don't play the "sniper" role in shooters, and dayz is a game where sniping takes some practice before it truly becomes effective. Nothing is more frustrating than missing the first shot by 6 inches, and after cycling your next round your target is GTFO and any follow up shots are magnitudes more difficult to land.

With the blaze, even if/when I miss my first shot, I can very quickly adjust my aim and put a second shot down range before my target has time to mobilize. It also takes away some of the temptation to fire off to many shots from one location before repositioning. Lately I've been forcing myself to relocate with every reload. I've been noticing the habit transferring over to tier firearms in differen situations, and doing so has earned me two easy kills already.

• Like 1

Voted for Sporter (with Hunting Scope) but that is due to the fact that the only thing i snipe for is the infecteds legs. Making them crawl prevents respawn/agro and ensures happy looting.

For hunting animals i would prefer Blaze or Longhorn. But i see that most of you guys here prey on animals of the twolegged kind...

Edited by Bruderlos

The blaze hunting rifle is great for novice snipers such as myself. I generally don't play the "sniper" role in shooters, and dayz is a game where sniping takes some practice before it truly becomes effective. Nothing is more frustrating than missing the first shot by 6 inches, and after cycling your next round your target is GTFO and any follow up shots are magnitudes more difficult to land.

With the blaze, even if/when I miss my first shot, I can very quickly adjust my aim and put a second shot down range before my target has time to mobilize. It also takes away some of the temptation to fire off to many shots from one location before repositioning. Lately I've been forcing myself to relocate with every reload. I've been noticing the habit transferring over to tier firearms in differen situations, and doing so has earned me two easy kills already.

This is a good point. The recoil on the Winchester is also a bit of a swine and puts your eye well off the target for a second or two.

If there was a significant difference in dispersion between the two these might be prices worth paying, but I haven't seen the stats on that (has anyone?).

Fair point. Suggest best weapon for killing at >300m? I don't know what the Sporter's ballistics are like at that range, but am interested in giving it a try.

Best weapon is patience.

SVD is by far the best sniper rifle in the game to rain down fire at medium and long range targets. It has practically no sway when prone, will often 1 hit players in the chest region at long range, and is semi automatic. It's no contest. Even if it was not semi, it would still be king because of the almost non existent sway. As to what weapon people prefer to look at and listen to, to each his own. Downsides are obviously that mosin ammo isn't that common currently, and that the rifle itself is rare, while Winchesters are all over the place. You also need a magazine for it, and I havent seen an SVD spawn with a magazine attached yet. Only having the russian optics available is not a big deal once you become comfortable with it.

I am guessing people that vote for the bolt action rifles, like the romanticized image of the bolt action rifle "end all be all, apex predator sniper" stereotype, or just haven't had their hands on the SVD yet.

Edited by anderswhk

SVD is by far the best sniper rifle in the game to rain down fire at medium and long range targets. It has practically no sway when prone, will often 1 hit players in the chest region at long range, and is semi automatic. It's no contest. Even if it was not semi, it would still be king because of the almost non existent sway. As to what weapon people prefer to look at and listen to, to each his own. Downsides are obviously that mosin ammo isn't that common currently, and that the rifle itself is rare, while Winchesters are all over the place. You also need a magazine for it, and I havent seen an SVD spawn with a magazine attached yet. Only having the russian optics available is not a big deal once you become comfortable with it.

I am guessing people that vote for the bolt action rifles, like the romanticized image of the bolt action rifle "end all be all, apex predator sniper" stereotype, or just haven't had their hands on the SVD yet.

Untrue. I've used both. I like the hitting power of the 7.62x54 round as well, but they are rare. Plus I prefer the extra range of the hunting scope and its selectable zooms, The PSO is actually pretty disappointing in that respect.